VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
16,210 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (marainwater)

Thanks for posting this Mark.
I'm going to put a link to this in Part III of my DIY.
Glad everything worked out OK. I'm going to do this myself eventually. BTW, do you have the part# for the lock module handy? Could you post it? Thanks.

· Registered
16,210 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (marainwater)

Thanks. I'll add a sentence about that. I wasn't thinking of the lock module that much when doing the write-up. You're right, the screw does not need to be removed if you're not replacing the regulator clips.

· Registered
16,210 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (santos.)

Do the door locks work when you use the switch inside the car? If so, do they all work or does the driver's door only not work? I had a thought. If the driver's lock is bad, you might be able to move the keyhole over to the passenger's side door and use it to unlock the car and disarm the alarm with your key. You'd have to use one of the door unlock switches in the car or reach over to open the driver's door. Not the best solution, but it would be free. I'll do the procedure on my car tomorrow and see if it works. I'll let you know.

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Scott- 2002tdi is right, the door will not lock if it is still open. I don't think that's your problem though.
Try this additional test. Sit in the car and close the door. Lock the doors. Do all of them lock? Use an interior switch to unlock the doors. Do all of them unlock? No lock them again. Do all of them lock? Unlock the doors again. Now open the door that is giving you a problem (driver's door?) and close it again. Now try and lock the doors again. Do all of them lock? Un lock the doors again and open the problem door again. Try and lock the doors. Do all of them lock? Unlock the doors and close the problem door. Lock the doors. Do all of them lock? Now unlock the doors and try and lock them again. Do all of them lock?
It sounds like a big PITA, but I'm trying to see if the door is correctly recognizing if the door is open/closed and/or locked/unlocked. Although I only noticed one microswitch on the door lock module, I think there must be another inside the module. One should detect if the door is open/closed and the other if the door is locked/unlocked.
Let me know what you find out. FYI, if you plan on using the driver's door with your remoteless key, the only way that it's probably goint to work is to replace the module. There is a good chance that you won't have to replace the module if you use the remote to unlock the door. If the locks behave correctly (or you can figure out a trick to get around it) while in the car, then it should behave the same way with the remote.

Modified by VgRt6 at 10:52 AM 9-26-2003

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Scott - Too bad they won't pay for it. You're right though. 80k is a bit high to get stuff covered.
I'm not sure how the key works with the bad lock module. I've never tried it. The lock only gives me a problem every once in a while and when it does I just unlock the doors with the remote and lock them again and everything works fine.
I wish I new more about programming the new key. I don't fully understand what needs to be done.

· Registered
16,210 Posts

I'm not sure what effect that not priming the fuel pump will have other than the car not starting as easily. This is a good questions to ask on the Vortex.
I'll look for the instructions in the manual. I'll send them to you if I find them.

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Search for part# 3B1837015AK. I found it there earlier today. Should be $96.
Tip - don't include spaces when typing in part#s on 1stvwparts.

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Scott- They are the same piece. You can't have two different parts with the same part#. 1stvwparts has the same parts listed sometimes a dozen different ways. It confuses a lot of people. I always ignore their descriptions and just order by part number. If it will make you feel better, order the second one. Better yet, call them up to double check you're buying the right part. 1-888-528-5280. They're a dealership out in WA state (Auburn VW), so ask for the parts dept. when the receptionist picks up.

· Registered
16,210 Posts

I doubt it. The front driver's and passenger's sides are mirror images of each other. Same goes for the rear doors. Using the rear door module is a possibility, but the shape of the doors are different, so the lock modules may also be shaped differently. Also, the rear door modules may not have the ability to be operated with a key since there's no cars sold by VW that have key access in the rear. The front passenger's side has the key feature since the lock is on this side in some countries, e.g., England.
Unless someone can tell you for certain that the front and rear driver's modules are the same, the only way to knowfor sure is to open both doors up and compare the modules. That would be an awful lot of work.

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Sounds good Scott. Take some good pics and do a short write-up and I'll add it to Part III of the DIY. You'll get full credit of course!

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Mine works intermittently too. It'll work for two weeks, give me a problem for 1 week, work for a day, not sork once and then be fine for 3 weeks. It's totally unpredictable. Just replace it and be done with it. I'd replace mine if I had $100 lying around.

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Nice job Scott.
Thanks for the pics. I'll probably upload a few to my host and put them in the DIY with a short write-up. That way everything will be in one place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.