VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
785 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (VgRt6)

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
Tip - don't include spaces when typing in part#s on 1stvwparts.

Ah hah!
Now, do I need this:
Quote »
3B1837015AK $96.00
Body hardware - Door - Front door - Lock
LOCK, Jetta, Left 1999 - 2003

or this:
Quote »
3B1837015AK $96.00
Body hardware - Door - Front door - Lock
LOCK, Jetta, Left, w/Central Locking 1999

They are obviously different, but what the heck is the difference?
Haha... Thanks!

· Registered
16,210 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (santos.)

Scott- They are the same piece. You can't have two different parts with the same part#. 1stvwparts has the same parts listed sometimes a dozen different ways. It confuses a lot of people. I always ignore their descriptions and just order by part number. If it will make you feel better, order the second one. Better yet, call them up to double check you're buying the right part. 1-888-528-5280. They're a dealership out in WA state (Auburn VW), so ask for the parts dept. when the receptionist picks up.

· Registered
785 Posts

I was about to order this, but then got to thinking...
Could I use the module from another door? I would imagine it is driver/passenger side specific, so possibly the rear driver's side door? Or maybe even the front passenger door?

· Registered
16,210 Posts

I doubt it. The front driver's and passenger's sides are mirror images of each other. Same goes for the rear doors. Using the rear door module is a possibility, but the shape of the doors are different, so the lock modules may also be shaped differently. Also, the rear door modules may not have the ability to be operated with a key since there's no cars sold by VW that have key access in the rear. The front passenger's side has the key feature since the lock is on this side in some countries, e.g., England.
Unless someone can tell you for certain that the front and rear driver's modules are the same, the only way to knowfor sure is to open both doors up and compare the modules. That would be an awful lot of work.

· Registered
785 Posts

Ok well I ordered it, came to about $100...
I'll let you know when it gets here, and Gary, if you want, I will take pictures and document it so you can add a section to that DIY http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Let me know, I'll talk to you soon

· Registered
785 Posts

Hey Gary... The part is on its way... But it started working again today! Should I return the part? Or is it just reluctant to fully die? haha... Thanks!

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Mine works intermittently too. It'll work for two weeks, give me a problem for 1 week, work for a day, not sork once and then be fine for 3 weeks. It's totally unpredictable. Just replace it and be done with it. I'd replace mine if I had $100 lying around.

· Registered
785 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (marainwater)

Arghh... I had to stop at discount tire today, and I gave them my keys. I locked my car, and when he tried to unlock it, it malfunctioned. My alarm went off when he tried to start it, and it was a big scene. The only thing I could do (since I dont have a keyless remote yet) was pop the hood and unplug the battery...
The UPS website says it will be here tomorrow... I can only pray. This sucks!

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

wow, that really sucks! but now worries...itl all be fixed after the $100 lock comes, and you spend a few hours in the garage! let me know how it goes or if you need any help with anything...good luck!

· Registered
785 Posts

Well thanks a lot for the help guys...
It only took about 1.5 hours, and I snapped a bunch of pictures along the way.
Let me know if any of these are not self-explanitory, I can easily let you know what's up in each step, but it was pretty straight forward if you want the truth (for those somewhat mechanically inclined). Really all you do once you have the panel off is remove the module from the bracket, pop out the cable that connects it to the interior door handle, pop out the metal rod that connects the locking cylinder, remove the small cable that connects the module to the outside handle, and disconnect the power source. Once everything is stripped off the old one, put the new one in its place and put everything you just took off right back on! (Easy, huh?) Please ask as I'm sure I can answer any questions you may have regarding the procedure.
I actually did not have (nor want to buy) a rivet gun, so I just drilled a fat screw right through the hole that holds the module to the bracket. Not the best solution, but it worked like a champ.
Like I said, thanks a million for the help, it is now quiter and works perfectly! Just in time for my new switchblade key... Finally, some joy from being a VW owner

Ok so here are the pics, talk to both of you guys soon!
(Gary, I figured I wouldn't clutter your nice DIY thread and just post all of these here, feel free to either link directly or save and upload them yourself if any of them will help your DIY.)
Take care guys, tahnks again!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by santos. at 6:30 PM 10-4-2003

· Registered
16,210 Posts

Nice job Scott.
Thanks for the pics. I'll probably upload a few to my host and put them in the DIY with a short write-up. That way everything will be in one place.

· Registered
4 Posts

Our 2001 is relocking the driver side door at each stop & go. Is the module my problem? Do you recommend replacing the entire module or just some switches? This problem is driving up crazy now!

The screws that you are talking about are the ones that hold the window clips and do I need to duct tape the glass? I've seen several threads and this one is the best so far. For some reason I can't see the pictures that were attached?

· Registered
2,473 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (l3urton10)

my door lock module is on the fritz. It was not locking the door for a few day with the key fob, but its working again. It must be the module because the led light does blink to say the car is locked and when i open the door with the lights on it does not make the annoying noise. I'm trying to get my insurance to pay for it because my car was hit on the driver side and may have screwed it up

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.