VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (marainwater)

I just bought a TDI yesterday and have already noticed that the driver door does not lock. The remote will lock all doors except the driver door; same for the inside switch. I can push down the driver lock manually once the door is closed (but not before). The door will lock manually when I use the key if all the other doors are locked already (for instance, I get out and hit the lock button on the remote, I have to put the key in and manually lock it). However if all the doors are already unlocked, they can all (including the driver) be locked with the key (it is the electrical lock not the manual). I thought it might be the lock sensing switch, but I was confused when it locked electronically when all the doors were unlocked with the key. I am just trying to identify the problem, and see if I can get the dealership to fix the problem for me.

· Registered
136 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (wcredblack)

is there anyway to just replace the micro switch that shows that determines if the door is open or not? Seems like it should be something that could be done, but i haven't taken mine apart yet to see what it looks like or to search my electronics catalogs for a similar part. Seems silly that you can't just replace the switch since it seems that that is the major problem..
Thanks
Dave

· Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for the DIY on this along with the original post for removing the door panel. Worked great. Only thing I noticed when this was complete is the horn doesn't beep when you lock the doors anymore, not sure if I should worry about this, I double checked all my connections and everything looks good, so I will leave it for now unless someone can think of a reason to investigate.
Thanks again!!

· Registered
65 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (rmverdi)

The sound of the horn beep is the signal that the alarm has armed. My guess would be that your alarm doesn't arm, most likely it doesn't see the door as shut. I would revisit the R&R procedure & triple check your connections, and/or get a new module.

· Registered
277 Posts
Re: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows (Wisz~Master)

I just went through & replaced my door module, took me about 1.25 hours ... not bad for first time. Mine was damaged at several spots, the black plastic bracket was cracked (the one with the plastic pop rivets), and it wasn't seeing the door open, ever. Sometimes it would lock with remote ... maybe 1 in 100 times. Works flawless now.

· Registered
702 Posts

fixed mine today. works great but a little bit of work. thanks for the DYI

· Registered
2 Posts
No door locks , window and won't start.

I have a 1999 Jetta that has exhibited all the symptoms you talk about here but it won't start either. Could this be caused by the door lock module or something else? Please help.

· Registered
8 Posts
door lock modules - alarm randomly going off

sometimes my car would not 'beep' when being locked, but it would eventually come back (always heard the doors lock though when i locked with remote). 2 weeks ago it stopped 'beeping' but i didn't think anything of it. then it began immediately locking itself once i got in the car and closed the door. one day while doing errands, it 'beeped' when i locked it - awesome, so i thought. not 5 minutes later the alarm went crazy. by remote, unlocked and relocked and it stopped. 30 seconds later, same thing. 5 minutes later, same thing. unhooked battery when i got home. went to a party and got home at 3am, same thing so i unhooked battery and took it to a mechanic. (i'm a college student and live in an apartment complex so i can't have the alarm going off whenever it wants). my golf has been there 3 days now and they are soooooo slow - haven't even ordered parts yet but they say it's the door lock module which i believe after doing extensive research. i wish i was brave enough to try this on my own, but a classic screwdriver is the extent of tools i have.

my questions: do all door lock modules need to be replaced? what should my next step be if this doesn't fix the problem, can i get a refund from the mechanic for the false diagnosis?

i've had my golf for 2.5 years now, didn't have a single problem with it until about a year ago. oil pan, catalytic converter, and now this. classic vw, slowly dying - going to sell it soon once i get this fixed! wish me luck that nothing else happens before i can get rid of it!

· Registered
642 Posts
I removed the failure-prone microswitch from the door lock carrier, hoping to replace it with the one mentioned in this TDIClub Forums post. But when I pulled the old one out of the carrier, this is what I found:

The blue arrow is pointing to the cam whose surface is followed by the switch's plunger pin. As you can see, the cam surface is totally wrecked. I suspect that, when the plunger finally failed, chunks of it simply got ground up between the switch body and the cam face. I went ahead and replaced the switch anyway, but predictably, it didn't work well. There was noticeable friction and roughness in the action of the latch, and basically, the new switch didn't do its job any better than its now-deceased precursor. No dome lights, no fuel pump precharge.
So yeah, $140 for a new lock assembly.

· Registered
3 Posts
Microswitch problems

Well i just fixed the microswitch. The switch was working but the mounting had failed so it was skirting over the top of the bit that moved. I just cut it off and reglued it in a position that worked.

Whilst i had the switch off i noted the serial number if that helps anyone.

Its a Burgess 14202 F

Also if you want to do a continuity test its the two pins nearest the switch on the plug. Pins 7 and 8 i think

HTH

Wx

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.