VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tonight (thanks to Glendale VW) I finally got the change to actually sit in an .:R so I can check things out for myself. Not ready to worry about driving one yet and besides, I already have the engine
. My initial response + findings (for me anyway)
- seats are great and give excellent support
- for me at least there is AMPLE room for an armrest
- nice area (ashtray) for my XM to be installed
- rear seats dropped would provide excellent room for my dogs
- headrests would of course be removed for the above
- VW has sligtly better paint than Audi, even with their black you can see the pearl specks (= less swirls!)
- the ride height whilst raised from European .:Rs seems lower than my TT (3.2)
- a lot of switches have been used from the Audi bin (or vise versa) so the look and feel is very much the same as my TT (3.2)
- when I adjusted my seats I had ample room to move them without hitting the roof
So I'll see what happens with my wife's choice as to what she wants but I think I'd be very happy in a either car

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Finally sat in one (TTigg)

Hi there TTigg!
At least you have an MSRP dealer closeby - not an option for me yet

I checked 2 R32s last week and primarily was interested to see the difference between cloth and leather seats - liked the gray cloth color with the black leatherette combo but it didn't feel supportive enough. The black leather made me feel better planted. Liked that they use aluminum accents like the TT and the shifter and pedals are great. Also, the steering wheel feels fatter than the one in the TT. The tech was about to PDI one of the cars and when he started the engine the exhaust sound was devine

So, I'm waiting for March and hopefully I can get one from the next batch
For $10K less and usable back seats I don't think I'll miss the TT when it comes with the manual 6 speed next year.
How's the 3.2TT and DSG treating ya by the way?

Modified by corto at 8:51 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Finally sat in one (corto)

Quote, originally posted by corto »
Hi there TTigg!
At least you have an MSRP dealer closeby - not an option for me yet

I checked 2 R32s last week and primarily was interested to see the difference between cloth and leather seats - liked the gray cloth color with the black leatherette combo but it didn't feel supportive enough. The black leather made me feel better planted. Liked that they use aluminum accents like the TT and the shifter and pedals are great. Also, the steering wheel feels fatter than the one in the TT. The tech was about to PDI one of the cars and when he started the engine the exhaust sound was devine

So, I'm waiting for March and hopefully I can get one from the next batch
For $10K less and usable back seats I don't think I'll miss the TT when it comes with the manual 6 speed next year.
How's the 3.2TT and DSG treating ya by the way?

Modified by corto at 8:51 AM 2-17-2004

3.2 is just great and yes, the engine sound is unreal (same engine etc). I was impressed with the room so we'll see what happens (wife's choice) but Id be happy with either one. I think i'd have a hard time spending money on a 6spd V6 TT when this is so much cheaper and just as good (if not a little better)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts