VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a fire extinguisher in their car? If so what type? Size? and how is it mounted? I would like to mount either a 5 lb (preferably) or (at least) a 2.5 lb fire extinguisher in front of the lower front passenger seat. I'd like to avoid drilling. I'm skeptical of a clamp on set up, so I'm leaning towards a mount that is bolt on. Seat adjustment isn't important as both my wife and teenage daughter are the only ones that sit there and have the same seating position. I would like the fire extinguisher to be as close as possible to the seat to not interfere with leg room. I'll also ask in the GTI and R forums as there's probably more racers there and our seat mounts are the same, but thought I'd ask here first since a couple of us Wagen drivers also race.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Has anyone got a fire extinguisher in their car? If so what type? Size? and how is it mounted? I would like to mount either a 5 lb (preferably) or (at least) a 2.5 lb fire extinguisher in front of the lower front passenger seat. I'd like to avoid drilling. I'm skeptical of a clamp on set up, so I'm leaning towards a mount that is bolt on. Seat adjustment isn't important as both my wife and teenage daughter are the only ones that sit there and have the same seating position. I would like the fire extinguisher to be as close as possible to the seat to not interfere with leg room. I'll also ask in the GTI and R forums as there's probably more racers there and our seat mounts are the same, but thought I'd ask here first since a couple of us Wagen drivers also race.
user golfdave has a big writeup on golfmk7 for fire extinguisher mount...i think under drivers side but may be useful for similar bits under pax. I'd be interested, in your writeup and pics,
as I use the underseat drawer drivers side and dont want to give that up. For now I carry one in the back strapped in but easily reached with hatch open...not much help in a rollover trapped up front but then I'm not a racer or off road rally guy so its more for helping out as needed in less duress.

·
Registered
2019 Golf Alltrack
37 Posts
I keep my 2.5 lb in the cargo area of my Alltrack mounted using only zip ties and part of an old velcro strap. I couldn't fit a 5 lb one there so that one is on kitchen duty now.

It's pretty sturdy. Hasn't ever moved and doesn't get in the way of lifting the spare battery cover/cargo floor. It's also easy to pop off in an emergency (just one swipe of the thumb).

$47 on amazon, and it's rechargeable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VXRYCM

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I don’t have it installed right now on this car but on my last Golf, I was able to rivet on the OE bracket to under my passenger seat and mount a Amerx Halotron 2.5lbs extinguisher using its provided metal bracket. I followed a guide from someone in the UK but it fits right under the passenger seat however I needed to move the PODS module off of the bracket, remove the bracket, and then mount the extinguisher bracket on in its place. I then found an open hole to use a rivnut insert to remount the PODS module securely.

·
Registered
2017 Alltrack S, 2018 Alltrack SEL
187 Posts
2 years ago, with a little bending of the rear mounting arm, I was able to fit a VW beetle extinguisher mounting bracket to my alltrack front passenger seat. Part #3C8-881-286. Was ~ $40. Available locally, and cheaper than ordering the Golf 7 part. As Lijetta18t posted, you’ll need to detach the PODS module first. Then bend the bracket with a vise or similar, to a shape that clears PODS and also mates to an existing hole. Then reinstall PODS in its original location. I used bolts and nuts, instead of rivets. Also, if you need the Oem holder, part # is 1K0-882-607-A. Bolts are N-908-973-08. Those were ~$85 shipped from a us dealer.

·
Registered
2017 Alltrack S, 2018 Alltrack SEL
187 Posts
2 years ago, with a little bending of the rear mounting arm, I was able to fit a VW beetle extinguisher mounting bracket to my alltrack front passenger seat. Part #3C8-881-286. Was ~ $40. Available locally, and cheaper than ordering the Golf 7 part. As Lijetta18t posted, you’ll need to detach the PODS module first. Then bend the bracket with a vise or similar, to a shape that clears PODS and also mates to an existing hole. Then reinstall PODS in its original location. I used bolts and nuts, instead of rivets. Also, if you need the Oem holder, part # is 1K0-882-607-A. Bolts are N-908-973-08. Those were ~$85 shipped from a us dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very nice install! Bookmarked, on my "to-do for safety" list.

Mine is same size, wrapped strapped hooked velcro pad thats jammed-in/stuck between road assist kit etc in to the left rear cargo pocket,
but I am aware that in a no kidding bad accident will likely fly out and bash my skull...(why I keep the cargo cover on at all times with anything in the back, that is heavy at all, especially with family on board)...

Ok, I'll be that guy.."what does PODS stand for?"
Nothing found on goolag or europarts or searching here, but this...

Which is another worthy topic, but OT here🤣

·
Registered
369 Posts
I keep my 2.5 lb in the cargo area of my Alltrack mounted using only zip ties and part of an old velcro strap. I couldn't fit a 5 lb one there so that one is on kitchen duty now.

It's pretty sturdy. Hasn't ever moved and doesn't get in the way of lifting the spare battery cover/cargo floor. It's also easy to pop off in an emergency (just one swipe of the thumb).

$47 on amazon, and it's rechargeable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VXRYCM
Clever DIY hack...imma look into this...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Very nice install! Bookmarked, on my "to-do for safety" list.

Mine is same size, wrapped strapped hooked velcro pad thats jammed-in/stuck between road assist kit etc in to the left rear cargo pocket,
but I am aware that in a no kidding bad accident will likely fly out and bash my skull...(why I keep the cargo cover on at all times with anything in the back, that is heavy at all, especially with family on board)...

Ok, I'll be that guy.."what does PODS stand for?"
Nothing found on goolag or europarts or searching here, but this...

Which is another worthy topic, but OT here🤣
Passenger Occupency Detection System or, a better way to explain it, the seat weight sensor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A co-worker installed a Kap mount for his Mk5 GTI. Ordered it from Austrailia, it took something like 8 weeks to get to him. It's a really clean install but it doesn't move with the seat. He put his on the passenger side and somehow his 13 yr old managed to discharge the extinguisher when climbing out of the car. Purple K makes a heck of mess inside a car. He replaced the extinguisher with a Halotron I.

I was going to get the same mount but got lazy and just got a Element 50 extinguisher. It small enough that it fits in the door pocket, and it doesn't rattle around too much. I might still get the Kap bracket and put the Element on it just so it isn't bouncing around in the door.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've looked into a couple of seat mount brackets including "The Bracketeer", I liked that it is a universal bracket and can be used in several cars. What I didn't like is that it is a clamp on design instead of a bolt on design. I reached out to the company to ask if it could be used with a 5 lb extinguisher (it's advertised to support 2-2.5 lb extinguishers), Their reply was it would work, however they couldn't guarantee that their Bracketeer would support the added weight of a 5 lb extinguisher in an accident. So yeah, I decided to skip this one because I'm still thinking about mounting a 5 lb.
Product Font Screenshot Line Software

I ended up ordering this one on eBay. It's custom made for the mk7 golf, gti and R and bolts on to the front 2 seat mount bolts. Much stronger and it will hold a 5 lb (as well as 2-2.5 lb extinguisher). It's $68 and I got a 10% discount with free shipping. Only down side is it's coming from Lithuania so expected delivery is between January 10, 2022 - February 7, 2022. (For an extra $35, I could get it between Dec 24-28, but I can wait).
Product Azure Font Tire Screenshot

Reactions: Skeej760

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: Skeej760

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Messaged you about your golf wagon rear trunk blind (5GM-867-871-45W)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PM replied. I no longer have the cargo cover.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here it is installed. The bracket fits and mounts perfectly on mk7 Golf, Sportwagen, GTI and R seats. It uses the front 2 seat bolts to mount making this much stronger than that clamp on design. A 5 lb Amerex extinguisher fits well on this. I'm thinking about drilling one more hole on the bracket which would allow me to flip the extinguisher around so the base is facing outward instead of the top. Want to avoid accidental discharge from passengers kicking it getting in or out of the car or from throwing their school bags into the car. Overall I'm very happy with this $62 bracket from Lithuania (with free shipping) and my $49 , 5 lb Amerex fire extinguisher from Amazon.

Photograph Light Product Font Gesture

Reactions: Robpol86
1 - 17 of 17 Posts