VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
6,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GMC wins, with the dually Denali 2WD, MSRP of slightly over $100,000 before any options.

"The Sierra 3500 is even pricer. Price increases hit the 3500 trims as well. Trims like the 3500 HD Pro see a $2,500 to $3,400 price increase while the 3500 AT4 sees a full $3,500 increase. With all the configurations pricing is equally expansive. A basic Sierra 3500 HD Pro in regular cab long bed single rear wheel configuration starts at $47,495. Pricing now runs into the six figure range with the most expensive Sierra ever offered. A Sierra 3500 HD Denali Ultimate in dually configuration with a crew cab and long bed starts at $100,695. That’s for 2WD drive. I don’t even want to know where pricing ends."

· Premium Member
6,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe they are all business write-offs/Texas Cadillac farm trucks.

Does a fully-loaded Denali really have $30-50k of actual additional "stuff" than a Pro or SLE?
A lot of these are purchased by "companies" or it's the owners primary vehicle.

As far as coming with an additional $50,000 worth of features? Of course not, but can you really put a price on having a nicer truck than the other guy?

· Premium Member
6,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of these are actually used as work vehicles and do towing and hauling work. If you are spending a lot of time in it - the creature comforts are nice to have and make life better when you use it for work and on the way home have to get the kids, do other things like a normal car.

Is it worth that much? Of course not. but if you want the trim level that's the price. :)
We see a lot of farmers using them for cattle work, they get absolutely beat to hell which I think is hilarious.

· Premium Member
6,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You guys realize that, even if with accelerated depreciation, these trucks are still really expensive after a tax write-off?

I mean, yah, the $35,000 upgrade becomes a (let's say) $22,000 upgrade after the write-off, but it's still f'in expensive.
Farmers don't care - For the ones I know, the truck is just a running expense. They don't keep them more than a year or two so they just write it off with all the other expenses. Crazy, but expected on their behalf so it's not really a thing.

When the tractors and combines are deep six digit purchases, a $100,000 truck they're comfortable in doesn't seem that far of a stretch.

· Premium Member
6,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Farming is a different world today than a lot of people realize. Many farms are huge with equally huge running expenses. The giant, automated machinery is completely different than what my grandfather started out doing. He bought his 116 acres in about 1918 and worked it through the depression with mules, he later used a '48 Allis Chalmers Model B (about the size of a Ford 8N). It's the size of something a guy with 12 wooded acres would use today.

I wonder what he'd think of today's farming.
For starters, 116 acres isn't enough land to make any money with by todays standards, which would probably blow his mind.

😂😂

1 - 5 of 5 Posts