VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
14,044 Posts
They have been well over 100K in Canada for a while - the 2023 version of the truck I ordered last January (MRSP of ~97K) is now 116K CAD (F350 SRW Platinum CCSB Diesel). Most 3/4-1T diesel pickups in the higher trims have been right at or above 100K here since Ford brought out the Super duty in the Limited trim back a few years ago. There used to be a ton of discount on the higher trim levels though so the transaction price might be a fair bit lower.
That discount is going to come back in the next 12 months. Just watch. Already our Dodge dealer is piled up with Ram's and they're using the overflow lot which they haven't for probably 2 years . . .

· Registered
23,372 Posts
Local dealers always have WT (i.e., base) trucks on the lots. But you cannot "prove" your * is bigger with them.
My friend had to wait forever for his duallie WT but that's neither here nor there.
I actually find it's the people who line up to tell you what their truck didn't come with who are the ones with a point to prove. "I didn't need any of your fancy bells & whistles."

It's okay to want some of the features in the pricier trucks, and it's annoying how much the automakers charge for them tbh. Can't option a vinyl truck far past crank windows, but then to get leather so you don't end up making cloth seats filthy, you're paying a $10k upcharge into a Lariat or equivalent...

· Registered
28,169 Posts
It's okay to want some of the features in the pricier trucks, and it's annoying how much the automakers charge for them tbh. Can't option a vinyl truck far past crank windows, but then to get leather so you don't end up making cloth seats filthy, you're paying a $10k upcharge into a Lariat or equivalent...
The F350 XL looks pretty good to me these days - basically a "Honda LX" level of equipment with vinyl seats and floor — a lot different than an XL from 10 years ago.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Radio

It is still pretty cool that you can get a $100k Limited and do a carpet delete
Vehicle Car Product Motor vehicle Steering wheel

· Registered
17,100 Posts
You guys realize that, even if with accelerated depreciation, these trucks are still really expensive after a tax write-off?

I mean, yah, the $35,000 upgrade becomes a (let's say) $22,000 upgrade after the write-off, but it's still f'in expensive.

· Registered
36,773 Posts
Oh, I know, I just think about what $50k would buy around the house and it seems like a lot to throw at a car interior.
Yeah, throwing that sort of money into our home would turn it into a jewel.

· Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You guys realize that, even if with accelerated depreciation, these trucks are still really expensive after a tax write-off?

I mean, yah, the $35,000 upgrade becomes a (let's say) $22,000 upgrade after the write-off, but it's still f'in expensive.
Farmers don't care - For the ones I know, the truck is just a running expense. They don't keep them more than a year or two so they just write it off with all the other expenses. Crazy, but expected on their behalf so it's not really a thing.

When the tractors and combines are deep six digit purchases, a $100,000 truck they're comfortable in doesn't seem that far of a stretch.

· Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
10,393 Posts
Farmers don't care - For the ones I know, the truck is just a running expense. They don't keep them more than a year or two so they just write it off with all the other expenses. Crazy, but expected on their behalf so it's not really a thing.

When the tractors and combines are deep six digit purchases, a $100,000 truck they're comfortable in doesn't seem that far of a stretch.
My grandpa never got anywhere close to $100k ones but otherwise, yeah, by routine he’d get a new truck every couple years. Always the same Chevy regular cab in red. He never cared enough to say a word about it and unless there was a model changeover you might not notice it either. Just another piece of equipment in a sea of it.

· Premium Member
1,650 Posts
This is how you do a HD. Not some BS interior trim fluff and a cute tailgate applique.

I fit in that crowd of buying a "luxury" 1 ton but for my use case its comfortable on my work travel that is 99% highway miles anyways and the rest fo the time it is towing our family Fifthwheel. I did this for years in an XLT but the upper trim levels are much nicer. Keep in mind for the 20-25,000 km's I do per year on this truck that it will tow around 10-12,000 of them.

Nobody would bat an eye if I was buying an SQ8 to daily drive which has a similar MSRP, get similar fuel economy and will ultimately depreciate more over the course of 5-6 years of ownership.

FWIW I just sold my 2017 F350 with 131,000 km's on it for 47K, I paid 69K for it back in 2017 and only had to do oil changes, tires and 1 set of brake pads over its life - not a bad TCO experience in my book.

· Registered
49,894 Posts

Farming is a different world today than a lot of people realize. Many farms are huge with equally huge running expenses. The giant, automated machinery is completely different than what my grandfather started out doing. He bought his 116 acres in about 1918 and worked it through the depression with mules, he later used a '48 Allis Chalmers Model B (about the size of a Ford 8N). It's the size of something a guy with 12 wooded acres would use today.

I wonder what he'd think of today's farming.

· Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Farming is a different world today than a lot of people realize. Many farms are huge with equally huge running expenses. The giant, automated machinery is completely different than what my grandfather started out doing. He bought his 116 acres in about 1918 and worked it through the depression with mules, he later used a '48 Allis Chalmers Model B (about the size of a Ford 8N). It's the size of something a guy with 12 wooded acres would use today.

I wonder what he'd think of today's farming.
For starters, 116 acres isn't enough land to make any money with by todays standards, which would probably blow his mind.

😂😂

21 - 35 of 35 Posts