VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting a memphis 500D sub amp. Through the glorius people in the vortex community I know the correct wires both before and after the amp to hook to. I would like to know if is it better to hook up the memphis amp before or after the moonsoon amp. If I hook up the memphis after the moonsoon amp I do know that I will have to get an adapter, because the memphis only accepts pre amp levels. The guy at my local stereo shop told me that because I don't know what volts the moonsoon amp is sending to the moonsoon amp it would be better to hook up after the amp. I would like your thoghts on this. And in case you are wondering the amp will be running an Infinity kappa perfect 10.1dvc. Thanks alot. I'm a new guy who needs some help

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Re: First Amp install, a liitle advice please (Kloster)

Your best bet is to tap off of the wire that run from the deck to the amp, i.e. before the amp. I have heard that you should be able to splice into the wire with a line level converter, whithout much signal degradation going to the monsoon amp.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts

Rule #1 NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER Hook up line outs after the amp!

·
Registered
37 Posts

Never use the factory amp. Use the wires from head unit. I good line level converter would do the trick to convert the speaker level to low level for RCA jacks. I suggest you use a good quaility convertor. For example Audio soure. for $40 each at crutchfield.com. I have two for sale for $20 each if your interested.
I had the same setup two amps using the factory HU for a while before I upgraded to an aftermarket Hu.
James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.