VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote, originally posted by Autoblog »
The Mulsanne is touted as the first Bentley designed and produced entirely at the company's Crewe headquarters in England since the legendary 1920's-era 8-liter Bentley, and to mark the occasion, Gooding wheeled W.O. Bentley's own personal ride, the second 8-liter chassis ever made, onto the stage before bidding began. Gooding opened the bids for Mulsanne #1 at $500,000, but after receiving no bids at that price, bidding quickly stepped down to $300k, only to climb back up to the half-million mark where it sold to an undisclosed collector over the phone.

Source

I know "only" seems kinda wonky, but this could be very bad for Bentley. At auctions like these are people who can easily afford this car. It's the FIRST of a new Bentley and it had to go lower to start generating bids. What's sad is that it didn't even get over $500,000. When the Rolls Royce Phantom DHC came out they were going for $800,000+. These had no special number designation, people just wanted them that badly. So that this was badly received could mean bad things for Bentley.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Re: First Bentley Mulsanne Sells for Only $500,000 (HaterSlayer)

I blame:
ecomony
communists
Bush
Wimbledon
El Nino
Microsoft
Paris Hilton
Bob Lutz

·
Banned
26,433 Posts
Re: FV-QR (chucchinchilla)

If not for the stupid headlights, this thing would be perfection. The profile is absolutely gorgeous.

·
Registered
14,914 Posts
Re: First Bentley Mulsanne Sells for Only $500,000 (clutch_dust)

Quote, originally posted by clutch_dust »
I blame:
ecomony
communists
Bush
Wimbledon
El Nino
Microsoft
Paris Hilton
Bob Lutz

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Re: First Bentley Mulsanne Sells for Only $500,000 (HaterSlayer)

Quote, originally posted by HaterSlayer »

I know "only" seems kinda wonky, but this could be very bad for Bentley. At auctions like these are people who can easily afford this car. It's the FIRST of a new Bentley and it had to go lower to start generating bids. What's sad is that it didn't even get over $500,000. When the Rolls Royce Phantom DHC came out they were going for $800,000+. These had no special number designation, people just wanted them that badly. So that this was badly received could mean bad things for Bentley.

Difference between this and the DHC is that one is good looking car and the other is not, I mean it doesn't even look that expensive to begin with, kinda like a chinese ripoff. imo

·
Registered
21,776 Posts
Re: First Bentley Mulsanne Sells for Only $500,000 (clutch_dust)

Quote, originally posted by clutch_dust »
I blame:
ecomony
communists
Bush
Wimbledon
El Nino
Microsoft
Paris Hilton
Bob Lutz

You forgot hip-hop. When something goes wrong, always blame hip-hop.

·
Registered
15,302 Posts
Re: First Bentley Mulsanne Sells for Only $500,000 (TigerinColorado)

Quote, originally posted by TigerinColorado »

"That's Spanish for... ... .. The Nino!"

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
A lot of assumptions based on one bid of one car. The RR DHC was first presented in January 2007, when the economy was relatively healthy. Even the ultra-rich are less willing to splurge on toys compared with a few years ago.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
FV-QR

Basically you're paying for the novelty of being the first one on the block with the Mulsanne, which for the wealthy buyer, means he paid about a $200,000 premium to beat his neighbor by ~ a month. These things are going to depreciate like rocks. Let's face it, no modern Bentley is very collectible compared to the antiques, even if it is the "first" production serial number of a new model.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by masa8888 »
A lot of assumptions based on one bid of one car. The RR DHC was first presented in January 2007, when the economy was relatively healthy. Even the ultra-rich are less willing to splurge on toys compared with a few years ago.

These are "more money than brains" car guys though. Hell a Daytona coupe was sold for $7 million last week.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Re: FV-QR (freedomgli)

Quote, originally posted by freedomgli »
The Mulsanne is more comparable to a Maybach or a Phantom sedan than the DHC.

This. The DHC seems more special. This is just the next Bentley sedan. Why pay a huge premium when, in the rich community, they are going to be fairly regular?

And it's ugly.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Re: FV-QR (SlowMyke)

The whole front fascia of the Mulsanne is just odd. What is up with the headlights? and the jutting bumper, and the aftermarket style mesh grille

Doesn't do anything for me. I blame the economy for the low bids though, and its ugliness.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Re: FV-QR (HaterSlayer)

Quote, originally posted by HaterSlayer »

These are "more money than brains" car guys though. Hell a Daytona coupe was sold for $7 million last week.

Yeah, and that has a ton more history than a VW Bentley with wonky headlights.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by SlowMyke »

This. The DHC seems more special. This is just the next Bentley sedan. Why pay a huge premium when, in the rich community, they are going to be fairly regular?

The thing is that there are Phantom sedans that get over $400,000 new and that's without armoring.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Re: First Bentley Mulsanne Sells for Only $500,000 (nopal 6.0)

Quote, originally posted by nopal 6.0 »

Difference between this and the DHC is that one is good looking car and the other is not, I mean it doesn't even look that expensive to begin with, kinda like a chinese ripoff. imo

I agree that it looks like a chinese ripoff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.