VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah Im just going to come right out nd say it...Im a newb when it comes to VW. Ive only worked on Chevy and Ford so its a whole new ball park cause the engine and the car set up seams alot different then domestics. For my eighteenth brithday my unchale gave me a 1967 Beetle. So far it has a dual piston master cylinder, Aconversion kit from drum to disc, keyless entry, fyber glass quatter panels. But it still needs alot of TLC. It needs a transaxle rebuild kit, and interior an engine, gauges (The only thing else it has inside of it is a steering wheal and a tach) It also need a new Paint Job. I would love some input on what type of engine I should get and when I can go to get something for cheep.
Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, i'm no pro myself. but i've been reading a lot of posts. So far I've gathered that it all depends on your plans for usage. Is it going to be a daily driver, race car, etc. I guess since it's your first car, that it's going to be your daily driver. There are tons of engine combos, and sizes you can choose from. It also depends on how much you want to spend and how often you're willing to work on the car.
a smaller 1600cc is a good start if you live in a fairly small town and if you're just going to be going to school/work. the samba is a pretty cool place to look for parts, complete engines, longblocks, whatever you need. I will say this though, based off past experience with other cars. Most of the time, you get what you pay for. "Cheap" might be cool for a little while, but it may break down on you sooner than you would like.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Re: (Zimmerkid)

1776 and 1600 seemed to be the best for a daily driver with some pep but without getting too wild. For wild go 1835 and greater. To ditto what was said previously, the sky is the limit and there really is no "best engine". You can tailor it to your needs. Search for Buggyman or Tuggle and some of the other guys around here, who are very helpful.
Also, I was just reading about the '67 and it was described as the bugs' "Zenith Year"... rock for you!
Welcome!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Re: First Car (ValorAndBlood)

If you can take the time do it right over time rather than cheap. If you on a budget probably better off staying stock. Anyways does it not have a motor? If so what's wroung with it?

·
Banned
8,864 Posts
Re: (Zimmerkid)

Quote, originally posted by Zimmerkid »
Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum. and good luck with your project.

x2
and i must say 1967 is my favourite year for modern vintage beetle (i think thats an oxymoron)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Tuggle)

It has no engine, I was looking at a 1915cc engine which is pritty nice. Virtually it has nothing wrong with it.I has no engne it needs a transaxle rebuild and brake pads. Of and this might seam like a stupid question. But dose a beetle have a transmmision, or dose it just use the transaxle for the tramsmmision?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Re: (ValorAndBlood)

Yeah it has a transmission. Because the engine is mounted in the back the tranny is mounted to the back of the motor facing forward. The trans axles come out of the sides of the transmission if that makes sense. There is a ton of diagrams and manuals on the samba, here is the one for the 67 beetle, Type 1.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/arc...7.php
No questions are supid. Better to ask before you do something stupid.

Modified by stagger_lee at 5:39 PM 11-2-2006

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (stagger_lee)

Ive been looking for websites to get a trany from and I havent found ne yet and Ive been to the samba and what not. hope filly ill have pictures to put up by saturday youll see them

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Re: (ValorAndBlood)

Its cheaper to buy from a private party, most of the time, but you never know what you gonna get. Its almost worth spending the extra dough and going with a reputable company and having them build you what you want or maybe get lucky on one they have already done and most likely get a warranty. There was some discussin about Rancho, and Bus Boys on a thread a couple of days ago, see if you can search for that on the front page here. I dont have any suggestions other than do your homework and cover your a$$. Maybe IM Tuggle, he might have some contacts for you in the US or at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Modified by stagger_lee at 7:02 AM 11-3-2006

·
Banned
8,864 Posts
Re: (stagger_lee)

Quote, originally posted by stagger_lee »
Its cheaper to buy from a private party, most of the time, but you never know what you gonna get. Its almost worth spending the extra dough and going with a reputable company and having them build you what you want or maybe get lucky on one they have already done and most likely get a warranty. There was some discussin about Rancho, and Bus Boys on a thread a couple of days ago, see if you can search for that on the front page here. I dont have any suggestions other than do your homework and cover your a$$. Maybe IM Tuggle, he might have some contacts for you in the US or at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Modified by stagger_lee at 7:02 AM 11-3-2006

we sell alll rancho rebuilds only because they stand by there product

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.