VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I beleive there is a youtube video by shopdap replacing this gromet.

Yup:
Yeah, Mine is the drivers side. I recall seeing this now and when he said you also need to take apart the 3rd brake light, spoiler, taking the wiring looms apart, etc I was thinking.....silicone!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I broke mine on my Golf R. Just ended up using some silicone, masking tape and a couple days with the hatch closed in dry weather. Replacing the gromet will be a PITA, with all that wire to disconnect and rerun through the loom. Big project. Something has to be done though as there is a lot of water that builds up around it....I wipe down the inside of my doors after washing the car and there is always lots of water around the gromet under the hatch..
I found these. Having someone print me up two. They look like they should work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice, quite like the Arteon startup sequence too. I broke a gromet in my GTI but it seemed to still stay up or hook in enough you couldn’t really tell. My Tig one I broke doing this install does hang down so might try those printed adapters you posted above. Let me know how you get on once you have them printed

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quick question, as my method may be flawed; when you’re working on getting the cables through the accordion, are you running a fish wire (cable tie) through first and pulling it back through or taping the wire to the cable tie and pushing through? Despite this being my 4th accordion, the passenger-side one seems challenging and I keep losing the wire halfway through. I also thought that the rubber on the accordion may be less flexible given it’s 3 outside at the moment

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Quick question, as my method may be flawed; when you’re working on getting the cables through the accordion, are you running a fish wire (cable tie) through first and pulling it back through or taping the wire to the cable tie and pushing through? Despite this being my 4th accordion, the passenger-side one seems challenging and I keep losing the wire halfway through. I also thought that the rubber on the accordion may be less flexible given it’s 3 outside at the moment
Fish it through, tape the wires onto the ziptie, and pull it through....you'll have a heck of a time pushing it through vs pulling.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Fish it through, tape the wires onto the ziptie, and pull it through....you'll have a heck of a time pushing it through vs pulling.
This is what I used as well. It's much easier once you disconnect the accordians. I'll let you know how that printed fix goes. They should be here today. Need to wait for it to warm up a bit to put one in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is what I used as well. It's much easier once you disconnect the accordians. I'll let you know how that printed fix goes. They should be here today. Need to wait for it to warm up a bit to put one in.
Cool. I got it figured out last night, amazing what proper light and patience can achieve 😂

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Nice, quite like the Arteon startup sequence too. I broke a gromet in my GTI but it seemed to still stay up or hook in enough you couldn’t really tell. My Tig one I broke doing this install does hang down so might try those printed adapters you posted above. Let me know how you get on once you have them printed
So those 3D printed adapters work PERFECTLY! I didn't even have to glue it in. It fits so snugly, I installed it and then popped it back into place. Its holding super tight and not falling down any more. Cost me 5 bucks to get them printed. What a life saver.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Edit, just saw your next post :) so install the light, the wire adapter and coding? So it's quite simple?

You still need to wire everything thru the hatch/pillars/rear of the headliner right?

Thanks
Yup. But that's all it is. Run the cables, install lights, and the a couple coding changes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
So those 3D printed adapters work PERFECTLY! I didn't even have to glue it in. It fits so snugly, I installed it and then popped it back into place. Its holding super tight and not falling down any more. Cost me 5 bucks to get them printed. What a life saver.
Nice! Great find. almost need to buy a bunch of those and stock up for future projects ;-)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Fantastic. Good to hear 👍

121 - 136 of 136 Posts