VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
16,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this truck after getting breakfast today and stopped to take a look.
1992, 2.5l, 5spd, very little rust.
I guess I'm just taken back by the fact that it's not banged to hell and rotted out but Im very tempted to offer like $800 (asking $1,200).
Needs rear tires, and power steering is WAY over boosted with lots of Steering slop.

Thoughts? What is the chassis capable of (towing/hauling)?
V8 or AWD swap cheap/easy?
Safety?

· Registered
145 Posts
Re: First Gen Dakotas? (Corbic)

Pretty much indestructible. My dad has has a '91 sport. 318, 4wd, for seven or eight years now. It has over 250k on it, and other than normal maintenance stuff, it just keeps on going. You can tell it's tired, but it still starts every time and does what it needs to do! Great little trucks..now if only you could find the v8 with a 5-speed...guy at the local Chrysler dealer had one, very impressive truck!

· Registered
7,783 Posts

One of my first vehicles was a 1988 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9L Fuel Injected V6, 2WD. I beat the everliving **** out of it and it wasn't until after much abusive teenager driving that I actually managed to kill the transmission. Rebuilt transmission installed I continued to drive it for years and then sold it. True story, about 10 years after I sold it I saw an old guy driving it around. I recognized the bumper stickers he didn't bother to remove even though they were faded. Otherwise the truck looked the same. So, longevity wise... they're pretty solid trucks in my mind.

· Registered
105 Posts

That's actually a Gen II Dakota

I don't think the 4 banger Dakota was available up here, so I don't know too much about them. Someone on here in another thread said they had the jeep drivetrain.
I know lots of guys who have done swaps on that Gen Dakota. Most started with the V6 and went with a built up 318 or 360. You'll want to upgrade the trans too. The NV3500 is what most of the V8 5 speeds came with.

· Registered
16,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: First Gen Dakotas? (dub dodger)

Quote, originally posted by dub dodger »

I don't think the 4 banger Dakota was available up here, so I don't know too much about them. Someone on here in another thread said they had the jeep drivetrain.
I know lots of guys who have done swaps on that Gen Dakota. Most started with the V6 and went with a built up 318 or 360. You'll want to upgrade the trans too. The NV3500 is what most of the V8 5 speeds came with.

AWD swaps possible?
I just got back from LKQ... lots of 318's, three Dakotas, 1 2.5 and two V6s, all RWD.
I guess the problem is, I really like THIS truck and the asking is fair IMHO (which may be skewed from so many garbage trucks on Craigslist), however the Truck does not exactly do what i need a truck to do.... tow a 240sx, haul engines and parts and work as a winter beater.
This does 1 of 3 primary functions (hauls engines and parts). If the chassis is capable (Brakes, Diff/axles, and Frame) of hauling a car and I just need an engine/trans upgrade - cool. If i can easily (ie no custom welding) swap in a AWD set up (just get hubs, axles and transfer case) then @#%k yeah!
Other wise I think I'd have a "neat truck" that does nothing of what i need and in 3 months would be selling it, although i don't see my self loosing any money.

· Registered
6,076 Posts

My brother had a 1995. pretty cool truck.
was a great setup. 318 V8, 5 speed manual, 4 wheel drive, short box, regular cab. he put about 180,000 miles on it. it was decently reliable, but it was not without it's quirks, leaving us stranded on the freeway twice.
wasn't the fastest or most powerful even with the V8 and 5speed.

· Registered
16,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote, originally posted by dub dodger »

According to Wiki Gen 1 was from 1987 to 1996, this is the updated front with sealed beams though, which happened in 1991.

· Registered
5,354 Posts

I had a '92 Sport, regular cab, 3.9 V6 and auto. I only owned it for maybe a year and a half before I traded it in because I didn't need a truck anymore. I never had a problem with it, and the V6 was chock-full of torquey fun. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Mine looked like the OP's pic, but white instead of red. I miss it and I'd love to have another.

· Registered
1,695 Posts
If it is only for 3 months, who cares? Make sure it's in good shape and priced lower than others to so you can almost guarantee yourself that you'll get most if not all the money back.
Older trucks seem to run forever but they're not the best in fuel efficiency.

· Registered
16,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (TopSpeed)

Quote, originally posted by TopSpeed »
If it is only for 3 months, who cares? Make sure it's in good shape and priced lower than others to so you can almost guarantee yourself that you'll get most if not all the money back.
Older trucks seem to run forever but they're not the best in fuel efficiency.

3 months?

· Registered
105 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Corbic »

According to Wiki Gen 1 was from 1987 to 1996, this is the updated front with sealed beams though, which happened in 1991.

I saw that Wiki page and it is wrong.
Gen I - 1987-1991
Gen II - 1992-1996
Gen III - 1997-2004
Gen IV - 2005 +
This is the breakdown according to all the Dodge Truck forums that I belong to.

· Registered
4,972 Posts

a 318 5-speed Dakota would be a hoot.
That or one of these if you're willing to suck it up and drive an auto

Anyways, keeping it on topic and pertaining to the truck in the OP :
Quote »
Thoughts? What is the chassis capable of (towing/hauling)?
V8 or AWD swap cheap/easy?

The correct answer is this :

Modified by anon_az at 8:36 PM 3-20-2010

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Re: (Corbic)

3 months?

Yes ... you said it:
Other wise I think I'd have a "neat truck" that does nothing of what i need and in 3 months would be selling it, although i don't see my self loosing any money.

· Registered
16,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: First Gen Dakotas? (anon_az)

Quote, originally posted by anon_az »

The correct answer is this :

Rats nest?
Ironically my buddy is all about the Turbo-Dodges, and if those bolt in guess what else could... SRT-4.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.