VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
26,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the local Subaru stealer today and checked out the new 2005 Legacy sedan/wagon.
I come from having a fair amount of experience in Subarus, owning a 1998 Impreza and having family members who have owned everything from an SVX to my mom's current 2002 Legacy Outback.
All they had in stock at this point is non-turbo cars, including Outbacks.
Exterior: Very nice. Belies its size, especially the wagon. Looks subjectively lower than the older car. New Outback, in particular, looks much more upscale than the outgoing model.
Until recently, I've thought Subaru's design language has been a bit...immature. The redesigned Forester started to change that, and this car really brings it home. It is every bit the equal of any other Japanese make in terms of exterior styling and quality (panel fit, paint finish, etc).
Interior: Coming from the Outback (which I happened to be driving when I visited the stealership), these cars are a quantum leap forward. It is also easily ahead of the Mazda6, Altima (even the new Altima), and I think even the Accord. I've rarely sat in a car that felt so right. Everything falls to hand just as it should. The stock (non-Momo) 3 spoke wheel feels GREAT, especially when leather wrapped as in the Outback Luxury. The satin-finish silver center console trim doesn't look cheap (as I think it does in the Mazda6) and hopefully will hold up well.
There are nice touches that VW owners will recognize and appreciate, such as the silver-rimmed gauges, the accordion-style cover on the center console storage compartment, the thumbwheel controls for the heated seats, etc.
Gauge lighting is EXCELLENT, and there is remarkable uniformity of the typeface used between the instruments and major/minor controls (something Subaru hasn't been very good about in the past). It's funny, but little things like that can really put me off; I dislike Lexus interiors because I think the typeface they use on their controls looks cheap in many cases. The one Subaru uses for the new Legacy looks very much like that in a VW. Again, very nice.
Overall, the quality of interior materials isn't quite up there with that of VW, but it again represents a quantum leap over that which Subaru has used in the past (many interior items on my 1998 Impreza are showing unacceptable wear at 80k.)
Controls all feel VERY nice, and details like the dual auto climate control is very welcome (and appropriate). The seats are excellent--very firm, supportive and easily adjusted. Leather felt like very good quality. I should also mention--the dual moonroof available in the Outback is HUGE; I could hardly reach the sunshade over the back seat from the driver's seat.
Driving Impression: I was only able to drive a 2.5i wagon with 5spd. First things I noted: the 2.5L motor seems more willing to rev and slightly smoother than that in the older model. Not a huge power increase (168 vs. 165), but perhaps it's slightly lower geared; it seemed to be quicker than the car I'm accustomed to, even with a 'green' motor (23 mi). Overall, more low-end torque and better response/sound than the 2.3L motor available in the Mazda6 (sedan).
Ride on this fairly base car was firm, well-damped, with excellent body control. The 5 speed shifter was excellent; it easily bests that in the Mazda3/6 for feel, and it falls right to hand. I didn't really have an opportunity to push it much, but through a couple of tight sweepers it maintained its composure better than nearly any Subaru I've previously driven save for perhaps a WRX. Very quiet interior, with extremely low levels of road noise.
Overall:
I can't wait to drive a Legacy GT wagon. I have a sinking feeling I'm going to want to trade my Impreza right on the spot.

Requisite picture for views:

Modified by SeattleGLI at 7:43 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Re: First Look/Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy (SeattleGLI)

Nice review. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'm hoping SoCal dealers have already gotten their shipments in too -- I'll probably check one out sometime this week.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: First Look/Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy (SpeedRicer)

how much $$??? what options/packages/features did it have??

·
Registered
26,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: First Look/Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy (Infiniti)

Cars that I saw were priced as stated on the website; no additional options save for AT on the Outback ($1000).
The 2.5i 5 speed wagon was not optioned up at all, but they are very well equipped stock; 6 speaker stereo with CD, alloy wheels, etc. It stickered around $22k (incl. Destination Charge).
Outback Limited was $27.5k + $1000 for AT; seems a bit steep, but my mom's 2002 (non-Limited) was $26.5k MSRP, so I guess that's not too out of line.
Overall, I don't think prices have increased too terribly much from the older body style--making this an even better deal.

·
Registered
22,855 Posts

There are reviews popping up here and there now. As some posters have said, the Legacy GT deserves to be car of the year. It is the most complete and most balanced car available today at the price.
You can't find another new car at this price range that offers the performance, features, AWD, and availability in sedan/wagon right now for under $30k.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Re: First Look/Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy (WReXinEFX)

I know my dad will be replacing his '98 Sentra real soon. I've had my eye on this car for a while for him. Hopefully I'll be able to get him into a Subaru dealership

·
Registered
692 Posts

Quote, originally posted by WReXinEFX »

You can't find another new car at this price range that offers the performance, features, AWD, and availability in sedan/wagon right now for under $30k.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SeattleGLI »
Gauge lighting is EXCELLENT, and there is remarkable uniformity of the typeface used between the instruments and major/minor controls (something Subaru hasn't been very good about in the past). It's funny, but little things like that can really put me off; I dislike Lexus interiors because I think the typeface they use on their controls looks cheap in many cases. The one Subaru uses for the new Legacy looks very much like that in a VW. Again, very nice.

You dislike the Lexus interior because a typeface looks cheap? Can't say I ever looked at the typeface on controls before. I always thought a lot of those symbols were pretty standard...like the HVAC controls and lights.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts

Wait a few months and soon you'll have the Dodge Magnum/ Chrysler 300 duo that will indeed do just that.
Later, you'll see AWD on the new Acura RL, and I'm sure Honda will be adding it to their Accord lineup soon if the RL proves successful.
All of which is good for us. What you don't seem to realize, WReXinEFX is that uniqueness of the Legacy is BAD for the consumer, because without competition you will find it difficult to bargain. I personally hate it when there is only one car that satisfies all my requirements, as I have less breathing room at the dealer.

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Re: First Look/Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy (Sunil)

the rattlebag doors still put me off.
sit in car
close door
rattle
rattle
rattle
shake
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
like Big Boi says, it's like a bag full of aluminum cans

·
Registered
22,855 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Sunil »

Wait a few months and soon you'll have the Dodge Magnum/ Chrysler 300 duo that will indeed do just that.
Later, you'll see AWD on the new Acura RL, and I'm sure Honda will be adding it to their Accord lineup soon if the RL proves successful.
All of which is good for us. What you don't seem to realize, WReXinEFX is that uniqueness of the Legacy is BAD for the consumer, because without competition you will find it difficult to bargain. I personally hate it when there is only one car that satisfies all my requirements, as I have less breathing room at the dealer.

The RL is a totally different segment, it's in the luxury mid-size. It's gonna cost atleast $37k.
The only alternatives I see is Volvo, but they are not priced the same as Subaru Legacys. I don't think there is any BAD for the consumer, Subaru are honest cars, they are not for everyone.
The new Legacy will appeal to those cross-shoppers of VW/Audi/Toyota/Hondas that wants Japanese reliability and VW/Audi AWD and performance.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,323 Posts

Passat

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,323 Posts
Re: First Look/Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy (toyotagardner)

Quote, originally posted by toyotagardner »
the passat with 4motion is more than $30k

Not the 1.8T

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Sunil »

It won't quite slip under $30k for a high-performance wagon, given that the Magnum HEMI rear-wheel-drive starts at just under $30k.
Quote »
What you don't seem to realize, WReXinEFX is that uniqueness of the Legacy is BAD for the consumer, because without competition you will find it difficult to bargain. I personally hate it when there is only one car that satisfies all my requirements, as I have less breathing room at the dealer.

What is more important is if your requirements are the same as everyone elses. In other words, if there are tons of people who want the same car you do, and supplies are limited, that is bad for bargaining. Given that the Legacy isn't exactly a new concept, and the previous Legacy was usually discounted, I don't think the value equation will change.
Tom

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SeattleGLI »

give it black wheels, and black window tint... and i'd TOTALLY rock that! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
obin

·
Registered
22,855 Posts
Re: First Look/Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy (Hajduk)

Quote, originally posted by Hajduk »

Not the 1.8T

Let's say 1.8T Passat 4motion, I priced it with leather it comes out at:
$27,620 much cheaper than the Passat GLX which is $3-4k more.
However, it is only 170HP.
The Legacy GT limited price about the same has 250HP.
The Legacy GT has the performance to rival the Audi S4, I can't say the same for the Passat.
But, its a good thing VWs with 4motion has broken the $30k barrier. Lets hope VW Jetta gets the 4motion soon and keep it under $25k.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

Lets hope VW Jetta gets the 4motion soon and keep it under $25k.

why? What's the hard-on over 4WD?? Adds weight, drivetrain power loss, and several grand to the sticker. If you live in Maine, I guess it would be nice to have in the winter.. of course then I wouldn't have any excuse to work from home.
No thanks.

·
Registered
26,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: First Look/Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy (rgGolf4)

Quote, originally posted by rgGolf4 »
You dislike the Lexus interior because a typeface looks cheap?

Yep, I do.
Perhaps I'm weird, but those little things DO make an impact in my sense of overall quality. I'm not a serious dash stroker by any stretch--I mean, I come from mainly owning old VW's and Audis. But I am bothered when a car has 3-4 different typefaces for things like instruments, climate controls, radio, etc (as is the case with my Impreza). Again, speaks of a design language that isn't integrated throughout the design/build process with the sub-vendors, etc.
Quote, originally posted by DCS »
the rattlebag doors still put me off.
sit in car
close door
rattle
rattle
rattle
shake
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
like Big Boi says, it's like a bag full of aluminum cans

Sit in a new Forester or Legacy. Even with the windows down, they no longer do that (much as my Impreza does).
I kid you not; this could very well be the car that makes Subaru a serious rival against any of the Japanese or European makes.

Modified by SeattleGLI at 1:41 PM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts

I'm surprised that someone shares my font obsession. That's one of the most impressive things about VW - all of them match. I agree with SeattleGLI - it bugs me that some of the switchgear doesn't quite match the rest of the interior, especially the ancillary switches alongside the steering wheel.
DC is putting a nice upscale font on their radios and climate controls now on their newer vehicles (Durango, 300), but some switches retain the old fat cheap font. It's a minor thing, but it gets noticed.
Tom

1 - 20 of 75 Posts