VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just finished the first stage of my first PC job. Here are the steps I took:
1.Wash
2.Mother`s Claybar
3.Meguiar`s Scratch X swirl remover (Orange LC pad)
4.Meguiar`s 7 showcar glaze *pretty sure (White LC)
5.Meguiar`s 24 Yellow wax (Grey LC)
Now I just completed the swirl remover with my PC 7424 and I don`t see great results.. my car had a lot of spider webbing (nothing too serious) but the swirl remover after few hours of buffing just removed the small scratches but I still see a good amount of spider webbing even if the car is a lot shinier.
I think my buffing technique is ok, I`ve been reading here a lot and looking at a lot of videos, what am I doing wrong?

Modified by Cyfer at 10:52 AM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
116 Posts
First off and most importantly if you want to recondition your paint so there is no light swirls, you need a compound much stronger than Meguiar's Scratch X.
Second off, the PC DA polisher isn't the best for paint correction, but you can still do some work.
Make sure you are using the correct pads when using the Scratch X and Glaze. The hardest roughest pad should be used with the Scratch X, then the next with the Glaze.

What I like to do when I do when I polish, is to:
Go through my section with horizontal, vertical, and diagonal passes with the PC @ about level 3 1/2 so I can evenly distribute the compound. Then i go through it again with much slower horizontal, vertical and diagonal passes @ about level 5 1/2
I use that technique when using rubbing compounds and polishes.
And when I wax it, I set the PC @ about 2 1/2 rpm and run the same passes through.
If you really want to see some major differences, find a decent rubbing compound. Such as the pricey Meguiar's Ultra Cut Compound, but the Turtle Wax's Rubbing Compound should do fine.
If I missing any thing, feel free to correct or add to me.
P.S. I just finished a Black Ford Expedition using Turtle Wax's rubbing compound, ShowCar glaze, and Turtle Wax's Black Color Polish Wax and it looks really good, with minimal if no light swirls.

Modified by danho92 at 6:58 PM 8-16-2009

Modified by danho92 at 8:15 PM 8-16-2009

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Re: (danho92)

Just be careful with the Turtle Wax compound , I have made a lot of money correctin what people have done with it ..

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Jesstzn)

Any other rubbing compound that will remove swirls but won't cost me an arm and a leg? I've also heard things about turtle wax rubbing compound while reading these forums so I'm a bit sketched out about using it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (67Customs)

Thanks for the link! SwirlX seems to be more aggressive than scratchX but they also advertise Ultimate Compound as even better. Should I give that a shot? If I'm going to spend multiple hours buffing, might as well get the most swirls I can. Also, seems SwirlX is designed for hand use (from what I read) are there products that would work better with a DA?

·
Banned
7,236 Posts
Re: (67Customs)

Just do it right the first time and pick up a bottle of Meguiars 105 and 205 from autogeek for 60 bucks. They work great and you will have enough for many uses.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: (gxblade)

Do a test spot, ALWAYS!
if not u will buff that car 20 times and still no results. after u find the right combination enjoy buffing once and good.
if the combination pad/compound dosn`t do anything than move with more aggressive set.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Re: (ProReflection)

check out Poor boys wax's, but for a easy-er more abrasives method with less work you can use 3M perfect-it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.