VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to give some background on this journey, I am turning 50 in April. The Porsche Boxster was a dream car of mine from when it was first debuted some 27 years ago. I was just graduating from college and getting married. The GT silver with red interior was beautiful and the shape was unique. The car was achievable/accessible goal at some point. I joked with my new bride several times over the first 5 years of marriage that if I was single, I would get a Boxster and live in an apartment down by the beach. We lived in the cheaper inland community of Riverside at the time. I have owned a ton of cars over the next 27 years between my cars, my wifes cars, and kids cars. But over that time period, I never had the opportunity to drive a Porsche other than a test drive of a Macan S about 5 years ago when car shopping for my wife.

November 2020, I took delivery of a 2021 RS6 Avant. It was a bucket list car and a ton of fun to have during its first year in the states. Its a very big, fast, luxury car. Just not a very engaging weekend car. I never really connected with the car and by June 2021 I was either going to spend a bunch of money to make it better with exhaust, tune, etc. or find something else. I turned to Porsche. I had been looking at Boxster GTS 4.0 allocation in the summer of 2020 when I was waiting for the RS6 but decided to wait for the RS6 given the unique opportunity I had to get one of the first ones to the states at MSRP. This time around I started searching for a 718 Spyder at MSRP. The car was going to be a weekend canyon/PCH/C&C toy and the Spyder just fit the specialness I was looking for more than the GTS 4.0. After about a month of searching and waiting for allocations to be released. I secured an allocation at Porsche Newport Beach. They had originally told me that they did not have anything and then about 3 weeks later they reached out to me with an allocation for a September build at MSRP + $10k. I passed as I was waiting for Carlsbad to come back with an allocation at MSRP. Carlsbad received 0 allocations. I went back to Newport Beach and negotiated + $5k if I came down within 30 minutes. The allocation was legit and I locked it up but in reality it was a October build. I submitted my build and began waiting. As I waited, it was obvious that I had struck gold with the allocation as prices rose and new allocations are nearly not becoming available due to supply chain issues, etc. I think the allocations for this model will be in short supply into next year as the Porsche production line makes space for the GT4RS, GT3 Touring, GT3RS, and the higher priced 992 models. The build was pushed back several times due to the supply chain issues that were surfacing in the fall as well as chip shortages. I sold my RS6 in early September and made a nice profit on a car that I had for 10 months and put 4000 miles on. As an added plus, I dodged the 4 figure registration cost that was coming due in early November. The build was complete on my Spyder in mid November. It arrived in San Diego on December 27 and sat in port for 2 weeks waiting to be processed and then on a truck to bring it 80 miles north. I picked up the Spyder on Wednesday of this week. It is everything I had hoped the build would be. I have only driven it about 20 miles but that 20 miles was down PCH from Newport Beach to Dana Point. I stopped in Crystal Cove and dropped the top on a 70 degree winter afternoon in So Cal. It was an Epic first drive.

I will paint correct the car and prepare for PPF this weekend. It goes into Glistening Perfection on Monday for Suntek Reaction film and windshield protection. I have a DSC controller, Kline Inconel exhaust, and Cargraphic valve controller waiting to be installed. I will probably wait until most of the break in miles are complete before installing these items.

I look forward to logging my experiences with this special car here and sharing my opinions along the way. Needless to say, still married 27 years later and can now enjoy a special Boxster with my bride along the coast of So Cal and in the So Cal canyons.

Thanks for listening to the story and engaging along the way.

·
Registered
2020 718 Cayman GT4 (Miami Blue)
1,526 Posts
Congrats! I hope you update this with more driving impressions once you get them (as it is your first Porsche - and what a good one it is).
Also, welcome to the club :D I managed to get my GT4 in Miami Blue, but Shark Blue would have been my choice if I had to wait until now.

Good choice on waiting for the exhaust upgrade installation so you can have some good comparisons. Enjoy it! (Maybe take it to the track at least once! :D ).

Edit: are you sticking with the yellow corner lights, or the clear LED euro replacement ones?

Reactions: sandjunkie

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Ah man. Congratulations. Much more special of a driver's car than the RS6, proving paper stats aren't everything. The top down wail of the 4.0 is the best engine experience I've had in any road car. In for updates, and enjoy.

·
Registered
'22 S5 SB
352 Posts
Wow... I am impressed.... by the abysmal fuel economy!

Just kidding. :p I love your car. Too bad that 6-cyl. 718 have become so expensive. Definitiely the kind of toy I would get in California. (y)

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
1,130 Posts
God that's beautiful. Congratulations sir! A P-Car is the ultimate to me and really hope I hit that milestone one day.

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,300 Posts
I don't have anything else to say but well done. GREAT spec and what a rad experience. Also IMO the absolute perfect car for SoCal.

I just mentioned in the Turo thread that I rented a Z4 for my trip to SD and Palm Springs, it was the right choice. I'd kill for a night time cruise with the top down along the coast. Beautiful and good luck!

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,745 Posts
Congrats and well done. Porsche makes sports cars you can feel good about owning for a long time, so if there's a car to build/spec to your tastes this is the brand to do it with. I'm interested in these factory photos, how does that process work? Do you get some sort of login when you place your order then you get updates along the way including the pics? That must be so freaking exciting to see those.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congratulations! I can't imagine the exciting feeling of driving it home on the first day. Also, beautiful spec (y)
Thank you. It was very exciting once I knew it had hit the dealership complete.

Oh man! That is great! We are on our 2nd Boxster and is so much fun!
Thank you

Congrats! I hope you update this with more driving impressions once you get them (as it is your first Porsche - and what a good one it is).
Also, welcome to the club :D I managed to get my GT4 in Miami Blue, but Shark Blue would have been my choice if I had to wait until now.

Good choice on waiting for the exhaust upgrade installation so you can have some good comparisons. Enjoy it! (Maybe take it to the track at least once! :D ).

Edit: are you sticking with the yellow corner lights, or the clear LED euro replacement ones?
Thank you! I have purchased white Euro corners from suncoast to be installed with PPF

Nailed it. Don't sell it.
Thank you! That's the plan.

Ah man. Congratulations. Much more special of a driver's car than the RS6, proving paper stats aren't everything. The top down wail of the 4.0 is the best engine experience I've had in any road car. In for updates, and enjoy.
Thank you! Definitely a more special drivers car than the RS6. The RS6 has its place if you have young kids and need the room and want something with decent performance/looks.

Wow... I am impressed.... by the abysmal fuel economy!

Just kidding. :p I love your car. Too bad that 6-cyl. 718 have become so expensive. Definitiely the kind of toy I would get in California. (y)
Thank you!

God that's beautiful. Congratulations sir! A P-Car is the ultimate to me and really hope I hit that milestone one day.
Thank you!

I don't have anything else to say but well done. GREAT spec and what a rad experience. Also IMO the absolute perfect car for SoCal.

I just mentioned in the Turo thread that I rented a Z4 for my trip to SD and Palm Springs, it was the right choice. I'd kill for a night time cruise with the top down along the coast. Beautiful and good luck!
Thank you! Yep, SoCal is a pretty good use case for a car like this.

Love it and might be the car I most want/am jealous of that someone has ever posted on here.
Wow! That's pretty incredible given the steep competition on here. Thank you!

Congrats and well done. Porsche makes sports cars you can feel good about owning for a long time, so if there's a car to build/spec to your tastes this is the brand to do it with. I'm interested in these factory photos, how does that process work? Do you get some sort of login when you place your order then you get updates along the way including the pics? That must be so freaking exciting to see those.
Thank you! I had awesome luck. Porsche has a tool called Track Your Dream within the My Porsche app. Track your dream was only accessible for 992 and Taycan owners. They just made it available to 718s when my build was locking so I was able to access and get updates on the entire journey. Its not 100% reliable but for some reason my experience was better than most that I had heard. Once the build was complete. The Pics were loaded to the TYD App. It was quirky as some pics were only accessible through the mobile app and some through the computer website. It was really cool to get these and made the process enjoyable and real at that point.

Looks beautiful! Congrats!
Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Congrats. I love everything about this. The color, the spec. All of it.

If it were a Boxster I'd fly to California and steal it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congratulations! Love everything about this post except the government of your state lol. Enjoy the car in good health. She’s close to perfection!

I always tell people, if you want to buy a Porsche just drive one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sandjunkie
1 - 20 of 46 Posts