VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
221 - 240 of 291 Posts

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 · (Edited)
Honestly, I have not wanted a car this badly since I was in High School and wanted a 1997 Dodge Viper GTS from the poster in my bedroom.

I am seriously considering (and would have already if not for my wife) paying $150,000+ to buy one of these used.

I love the pics from the road trips! It's always nice to see someone enjoying a great car like this.
Crazy what these are going for now. Mine is a $124k MSRP with PLDS+, PCCB. Burmester, etc. I paid $129k. I have about $155k in it after tax and license, PPF, DSC, and Kline Inconel exhaust.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Not to side-track this, but I need a manual, chalk exterior, Boxster Classic Red interior, with upgraded stereo (I have dropped my requirement for Burmester -- the Bose will do). There is one just like this (with Bose) in Cali. They want $157,000 for it. But it's a year old. It has a couple thousand miles on it. And my wife says no.

And I already have a 987 Boxster S 6M with a Red Interior, and it is a difficult sell (even though I can afford the Boxster Spyder) as to why I need a new Boxster Spyder when I have two young kids, etc.

So the odds are it's not going to happen. I turn 40 in a handful of weeks, and I had kind of been hoping to pick it up as a 40th birthday gift to myself.

But threads like these make the want STRONGER . . .
Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·

· Registered
17,082 Posts
That's about a $110k MSRP car. They are asking $40k over o_O
$30k-50k over is the norm, now, with desireable Boxster Spyders. You can pick up some silver/black 2021 models with PDK for pretty close to original MSRP. But if you want a cool/unique/interesting color combo and a 6M, the mark-ups are insane.

· Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,149 Posts
Yeah, the market is crazy. I remember back in 2020 when the same dealer had a similar spec gt4 for sale. No crazy markup at that time. I think the msrp was like 115k. I just didn't like the car in black.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

· Registered
17,082 Posts
What do you mean you don't want an all black car in the baking hot Vegas sun! Lol. Though the car I linked to has a manual and Burmester.

Haha.

So it isn't even the sun -- the car will be garaged and only driven on occassion.

This is the kind of car (particularly if you are going to pay a $30k+ markup) that you need to get "perfect." I don't want to pay all this money, walk out to my garage, and be disappointed by the color.

· Registered
17,082 Posts
So serious question:

In 10 years, what are the odds that these cars are still worth $150k?

I feel like buying a $150k 987.2 911 GT3 6M is the safer bet from a depreciation perspective. But this will likely be the last generation of N/A Boxster/Cayman.

Will these hold value like a GT3? Or are these going to be the next Boxster S (which holds value for awhile, but then sinks like everything else)?

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
So serious question:

I feel like buying a $150k 987.2 911 GT3 6M is the safer bet from a depreciation perspective. But this will likely be the last generation of N/A Boxster/Cayman.

Will these hold value like a GT3? Or are these going to be the next Boxster S (which holds value for awhile, but then sinks like everything else)?
Time will tell but I think they will hold their value pretty well given the somewhat rarity of the car. I have to think that the Spyders are just as rare if not rarer than the GT3 but maybe not as desirable to the 911 Porsche Purist.

· Registered
47 Posts
Poking around, a lightly used 718 GT4/Spyder can be had for similar price range as early 991.1 GT3s right now.

For me, it will be very hard to choose the GT3 in that case. However, I am just uncomfortable paying that much over MSRP on the GT4/Spyder despite it is likely the market price now.

· Registered
9,373 Posts
So serious question:

I think the Boxster Spyder 4.0 will hold its value very well, and possibly appreciate even from today's inflated prices. However, the 997.2 GT3 holds a lot of cache and they only produced 2,200 of them globally (vs. 6,300 991.1 GT3s and 9,500 991.2 GT3s). For that reason, it wouldn't surprise me if those will be $250k+ cars down the road.

· Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I think the Boxster Spyder 4.0 will hold its value very well, and possibly appreciate even from today's inflated prices. However, the 997.2 GT3 holds a lot of cache and they only produced 2,200 of them globally (vs. 6,300 991.1 GT3s and 9,500 991.2 GT3s). For that reason, it wouldn't surprise me if those will be $250k+ cars down the road.
I think the Boxster/Cayman GTS 4.0 will also hold its value well.

· Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,149 Posts
It literally comes down to visually telling other people where in the hierarchy you think you are.
I mean I went for a 997 turbo over a new Cayman GTS because the 911 is legendary name plate for the brand. Just like why I bought a GTI, Mustang, and M3 previously. Those cars are all legendary (IMO) in their class. I didn't buy the 997 with the idea of selling it in the future. Maybe I will, maybe I won't--- I will keep the car as long as I continue to be happy with it. But if I can buy my childhood dream car (a 911), why would I buy anything else? And very few non-car people in my life know I own a Porsche of any sort. I have absolutely no problem with any boxster/cayman, but life's to short not to get what you really want (be that a 911 or cayman/boxster). I will say, if I was a convertible guy, I think I'd have a hard time going with a 911.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I mean I went for a 997 turbo over a new Cayman GTS because the 911 is legendary name plate for the brand. Just like why I bought a GTI, Mustang, and M3 previously. Those cars are all legendary (IMO) in their class. I didn't buy the 997 with the idea of selling it in the future. Maybe I will, maybe I won't--- I will keep the car as long as I continue to be happy with it. But if I can buy my childhood dream car (a 911), why would I buy anything else? And very few non-car people in my life know I own a Porsche of any sort. I have absolutely no problem with any boxster/cayman, but life's to short not to get what you really want (be that a 911 or cayman/boxster). I will say, if I was a convertible guy, I think I'd have a hard time going with a 911.

I love the 911, but it definitely draws some people for the status over the passion unlike yourself. I wouldn't say I'm a convertible guy but for a weekend car in southern California this is as about as good as it gets and it was worth a shot. This is my first convertible. I will say that the sound experience and the feeling of speed is a great experience in the convertible. It's another level. I too would never consider the 911 cab. It looks like a bath tub.

221 - 240 of 291 Posts