VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
261 - 280 of 290 Posts

· Registered
4,279 Posts
Question, and sorry if this has been covered already: what's your take on the gearing complaints? I've thought many times about buying a Spyder and selling my Lotus but I keep going back to it not being "fun to drive on the streets" due to 2nd gear going out to 90 mph. Would love to hear an honest, first hand opinion.

· Registered
22,529 Posts
Dang, they really nailed the widths and offsets on those wheels. I kinda questioned the change at first... but honestly this looks very quality 90's/00's fitment. With alot of modern wheel solutions being monoblock, its refreshing to see some modular wheels, especially with a slightly different finish on the centers, makes the polished lip stand out.

Seems like a champagne color on the centers, which I love. BBS used to offer a similar finish on some of their forged wheels back in the day. Just a bit more interesting than silver, but a bit classier than the typical motorsport gold. Well done.

· Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Question, and sorry if this has been covered already: what's your take on the gearing complaints? I've thought many times about buying a Spyder and selling my Lotus but I keep going back to it not being "fun to drive on the streets" due to 2nd gear going out to 90 mph. Would love to hear an honest, first hand opinion.
No complaints on the gearing. It could maybe be better if a bit lower but definitely not an issue anyone would really notice except maybe in a tight track situation.

· Premium Member
7,513 Posts
It's rare I like aftermarket wheels better than the OEM stuff porsche has on their higher end stuff, but damn if those aren't just about perfect look and fitment wise. Somehow an improvement on what was already pretty damn perfect.

· Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,790 Posts

· Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
TLDR; when's the anniversary/update/how's ownership post coming?
It’s been a full year this month. I just turned 4000 miles on the car and 1,400 of that was from a trip up to Napa and back down the California coast last April. I haven’t driven it as much as would have liked. It’s a weekend car only. Weekends have been busy with taking the boat out and traveling to see my youngest son who started his first job out of college in Colorado. Cars and coffee meets on the weekends and few trips to Good Vibes Breakfast Club up Angeles Crest highway are the bulk of the other 2,600 miles.

Modifications include:
Kline Inconel Exhaust
Cargraphic Valve Controller
DSC controller
Supreme Power SP1 Multipiece wheels
Suntek Reaction PPF
Exoshield windshield protection
Clear Corners
Aspherical Mirrors

No problems and no trips to the dealer. Oil change at 1,500 miles. Getting ready for the second oil change and alignment.

Car has been absolutely flawless. It brings a smile to my face every time I get behind the wheel. No reason to think that I will be moving on from this car for quite a while. Next mod may be shortened 2-5 gears and flywheel/clutch in a few years just to stay in love with the experience.
Looking forward to more miles in the coming year and exploring more canyons in San Diego and Malibu.

· Premium Member
7,513 Posts
traveling to see my youngest son who started his first job out of college in Colorado
Sounds like another long road trip is in order when the weather suits.

Reactions: sandjunkie

· Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,790 Posts
It’s been a full year this month. I just turned 4000 miles on the car and 1,400 of that was from a trip up to Napa and back down the California coast last April. I haven’t driven it as much as would have liked. It’s a weekend car only. Weekends have been busy with taking the boat out and traveling to see my youngest son who started his first job out of college in Colorado. Cars and coffee meets on the weekends and few trips to Good Vibes Breakfast Club up Angeles Crest highway are the bulk of the other 2,600 miles.

Modifications include:
Kline Inconel Exhaust
Cargraphic Valve Controller
DSC controller
Supreme Power SP1 Multipiece wheels
Suntek Reaction PPF
Exoshield windshield protection
Clear Corners
Aspherical Mirrors

No problems and no trips to the dealer. Oil change at 1,500 miles. Getting ready for the second oil change and alignment.

Car has been absolutely flawless. It brings a smile to my face every time I get behind the wheel. No reason to think that I will be moving on from this car for quite a while. Next mod may be shortened 2-5 gears and flywheel/clutch in a few years just to stay in love with the experience.
Looking forward to more miles in the coming year and exploring more canyons in San Diego and Malibu.
Not as big a P-car guy as I use to be but that really is a gorgeous car, well played.

Reactions: Rob and sandjunkie
261 - 280 of 290 Posts