VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/four-wheel-drive-key-hot-volkswagen-id-4-gtx-ev

Autocar said:
Volkswagen technology chief Matthias Rabe says the company has chosen to base its first electric performance model on the ID 4, a 4.6m-long SUV, so it can take advantage of four-wheel-drive.

As first revealed by Autocar, Volkswagen is set to introduce the GTX badge for a range of hot ID models. But while the Golf-size ID 3 seems a natural choice for a sporting model, Rabe confirmed our report that Volkswagen’s first hot EV will be a version of one of the two SUVs that are set to spawn from the ID Crozz concept.

While he declined to comment on the use of the GTX badge – designed match the existing GTI, GTD and GTE brands for petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid machines – he did confirm Autocar's report that the first series performance electric model would be based on the ID 4.

Rabe noted that the initial electric performance cars would appeal to “different customers” from long-time GTI fans. He said using the ID 4 “makes sense” because it will be offered with a twin-motor set-up that offers four-wheel drive and extra power, while the ID 3 hatch will only be available in single-motor, rear-wheel-drive form.

“At the moment, we need four-wheel drive for the performance version,” said Rabe. “I drove a component test car [for the ID 4 GTX] recently; you get fantastic response and can make fantastic drifts. It’s easy to control and will do exactly what you say.”

The ID 4 will initially launch with a rear-drive powertrain expected to offer up to 201bhp and 229lb ft of torque from a rear-mounted electric motor. It will be followed by a four-wheel-drive model that adds a front-mounted motor, taking its overall output to 302bhp and 332lb ft. The model will be offered with a range of battery sizes, the largest of which will offer a range of around 310 miles.

Rabe didn’t rule out an ID 3 GTX being produced at some point, saying that it would “make a fantastic sports car”.

When asked whether the hot hatch had a future given the rise of electric cars, Rabe said: "With electrification, we will see some other possibilities for compact sporty cars. In the ID family for sure we will see some sporty versions, but in a different way."

The ID 4 SUV will be followed by a coupe version badged ID 5, and that model will also gain a hot GTX version utilising the same powertrain.

Volkswagen’s R division is currently working on high-performance electric models, and the first of those is set to be an ID 3 R. Due to be launched by 2024, the model will feature four-wheel-drive along with extensively reworked motor and battery systems. The powertrain and batteries will be developed with help from Volkswagen Motorsport, using its learning with the record-breaking ID R hillclimb machine.

·
Registered
28,825 Posts
No Turbo, no care.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Just watched this non-driving 'review' of the id4. I haven't really followed VW's EV push other than to be disappointed the id3 isn't coming here, and I watched a German video on the id3 a month or two back. And my wife and I both really hope the microbus we've been promised since at least 1999 actually makes a comeback.

The promised video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHeJDelbW0E

Things that stood out to me:

201hp RWD for $44k "1st edition / launch edition". 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. 80kWh battery pack. He kept trying to sell it as "$10k-$20k cheaper than the competition" (the latter being after tax incentives you can no longer get with a Tesla); downplaying lower-end touches because it's "not meant to be a luxury car". I couldn't help but feel this was trying to have it both ways. I was surprised that was somehow cheaper than a Tesla until I looked at the Model Y pricing and see they do, indeed, start at $50k (49,990). It looks like Tesla hasn't extended the downrange options to the Y yet; you can only get it with the 300(ish) mile range and dual motors.
Ok, so, *when* the non-"launch edition" id4 comes out it'll be $40k instead of $44k. That will be legitimately $10k cheaper than "the competition", but significantly down on power and range, and just a single motor design. By the time the dual motor models come along, I imagine they'll be pushing $50k. So it will probably come closer to the Y in range and add more power than the RWD edition, and again, "not a luxury car".

Well, okay. Certainly when you factor in tax credits, the id4 will be cheaper. I'm not a "crossover" person (but my SUV did stay at a holiday inn express^H^H^H^H repair shop last night), but the id4 is, to my eye, indisputably better-looking inside and out than the Y.

I'm hard-pressed to even remember which touches he excused with "not a luxury car", and even if I could remember, those things are probably still nicer than they are on the Y; again, the interior looked quite well put-together, and I am partial to German cars, so I'd be inclined to give the VW a shot. I'm not the kind of guy who's terrified if he buys a German car, it will blow up the minute I drive it off the lot and leave my family destitute with repair bills. (again, as I write this, I realize the irony because I woke up at 4:30am because I'm headed to the shop to pick up my German car that probably just cost me $6k :laugh: )

No frunk on the id4 but he forgot to explain why.
RED GODDAMNED TURN SIGNALS, DAMMIT VW, I SPENT $1000 TO GET RID OF THAT TRASH ON MY GOLF R

.. what else. Love the 2 screens. Really wish plebeian-range Teslas had some kind of instrument panel in front of the driver. Infotainment, hopefully less glitchy than my 3 was when we first got it, but damn it's solid now. I have a hard time believing the VW UI will be better; it doesn't look as nice as the digital cockpit on the latest Audis (which has even trickled down to the Golf and Jetta now, it looks like!)

Things I used to not care about until the Tesla spoiled me: manual steering column. Better for a single driver, worse for a shared car. This is the first car I've shared in my life, and damn, memory seats and mirrors and wheel are amazing when you trade off drivers constantly. Hell, I find myself wishing the thing had an electric interior mirror :p

Seems to be a conventional prox keyfob design; fine, works great, but again, I've come to love the 'next gen' phone key tech (no, BMW, not the kind where you take your phone out of your pocket and hold it to the door handle, but ... thanks for playing?)

All in all, it looks like a fantastic vehicle inside and out, that I'd love to drive. It feels less like a "electric motor bolted to a conventional FWD car" in the way that the eGolf and even the Leaf are, and more like a whole-cloth EV design.

"free" "up to" 3 years of charging -- not sure if just on 1st edition or what.

It just feels... *deep breath*... like too much money for what it is. The achilles heel was and still is the charging network. I'm really pulling for Electrify America, and I hear the rollout is a lot better in other states than it is here in CA, but the EA stations I see here are permanently wrapped in plastic and coming "real soon like now". I don't know how the charging network informs the car of the status of chargers via the infotainment screen, but, IMO, that's 100% a must -- no fiddling with your phone to find chargers and outdated status-- please, please.

I want to say it needs to be $10k cheaper to deal with the worse charging network, but that would be $30k for a base model and $34k for the 1st edition, which is silly-- of course it shouldn't be in bolt/leaf/egolf territory, it's a bigger/nicer vehicle. $5k cheaper?

Ultimately the j1772+DCFC (I honestly don't know if it's CCS or ChaDeMo.. I assume probably CCS?) is all you need for a commuter, but in this price range I want a full-on "nice vehicle" you can take on roadtrips -- and that's why we ended up with a Tesla instead of a BMW i3 which felt like most-of-the-money for an in-some-ways-nicer car, but that was ONLY limited to commuting. That's fine at a lower cost, but harder to swallow at full-price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts