VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to censor it, but in 10 days I can reveil actual pictures.
PJ
team Qvick press officer

Here's some info on it, in an msv article:
quote:[HR][/HR]Team Qvick’s Mini Cooper gets 340hp 3000cc M3-engine
Team Qvick’s Mini Cooper will be one of the most exciting cars on the grid in 2002. The car replaces the E36 M3, which was successfully raced for three seasons. A charismatic car like the New Mini will definitely draw attention, but it won’t be all show according to pilot Vincent Beernaerd: “The little car will not only be a visual attraction. It is going to be very competitive on the track. This season we will mainly concentrate on the TB-class, next year we will try to get back into the top three of general touring class.”
And the engine that will be shoehorned into the Cooper will definitely give it some go. As the story goes, the team Qvick engineers found a little BMW emblem on the standard engine. And, according to the Belcar rule book, this allows them to replace the little engine with any BMW engine they please. The obvious choice was the 340hp 3000cc M3 engine, with which they have a lot of experience. The engine places them back into the TB class.
From previous contact with the team it was obvious that they were worried the project wouldn’t be allowed. Vincent: “We have started with getting the necessary papers and permits from the Belcar organisation. And we managed to pull it off of, because the car has been added to the official list of allowed cars. We constantly kept the technical inspection updated, and they visited us to see what we were doing. There were no problems.”
Vincent on the technical aspects: “The most difficult part is changing from FWD to RWD. The car was extensively rebuild, using M3 parts. We will try to reach the minimum weight of 1025kg. All the weight will lay between the two axles, and the CG extremely low.”
“It will get 18 inch rims, that stick 15cm out of the original wheel arches. It will be a beautiful sight, in the style of the old Renault GT Turbo group F. We got a motorsport ABS system, and a Dutch firm has developed shock absorbers especially for our car.”
“The mechanical side of the project is nearly finished, and body parts are being fabricated. Work on the electronics will soon start. We are right on schedule, the car should be finished early April.”
The motorsportvortex staff received pictures of the car under development. But at the request of the team, we will only publish them after the car is officially unveiled in April.

PJ
[HR][/HR]​

[Modified by AuForm, 10:58 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Re: First picture of the M3 powered Mini. (AuForm)

Very interesting... I prefer having a BMW M3 body around my M3 engine, but this little devil will draw a lot of attention, and a lot of sponsors! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
24,098 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I had to censor it, but in 10 days I can reveil actual pictures.
PJ
team Qvick press officer

Here's some info on it, in an msv article:
Team Qvick’s Mini Cooper gets 340hp 3000cc M3-engine
Team Qvick’s Mini Cooper will be one of the most exciting cars on the grid in 2002. The car replaces the E36 M3, which was successfully raced for three seasons. A charismatic car like the New Mini will definitely draw attention, but it won’t be all show according to pilot Vincent Beernaerd: “The little car will not only be a visual attraction. It is going to be very competitive on the track. This season we will mainly concentrate on the TB-class, next year we will try to get back into the top three of general touring class.”
And the engine that will be shoehorned into the Cooper will definitely give it some go. As the story goes, the team Qvick engineers found a little BMW emblem on the standard engine. And, according to the Belcar rule book, this allows them to replace the little engine with any BMW engine they please. The obvious choice was the 340hp 3000cc M3 engine, with which they have a lot of experience. The engine places them back into the TB class.
From previous contact with the team it was obvious that they were worried the project wouldn’t be allowed. Vincent: “We have started with getting the necessary papers and permits from the Belcar organisation. And we managed to pull it off of, because the car has been added to the official list of allowed cars. We constantly kept the technical inspection updated, and they visited us to see what we were doing. There were no problems.”
Vincent on the technical aspects: “The most difficult part is changing from FWD to RWD. The car was extensively rebuild, using M3 parts. We will try to reach the minimum weight of 1025kg. All the weight will lay between the two axles, and the CG extremely low.”
“It will get 18 inch rims, that stick 15cm out of the original wheel arches. It will be a beautiful sight, in the style of the old Renault GT Turbo group F. We got a motorsport ABS system, and a Dutch firm has developed shock absorbers especially for our car.”
“The mechanical side of the project is nearly finished, and body parts are being fabricated. Work on the electronics will soon start. We are right on schedule, the car should be finished early April.”
The motorsportvortex staff received pictures of the car under development. But at the request of the team, we will only publish them after the car is officially unveiled in April.

PJ
[Modified by AuForm, 10:58 PM 4-9-2002][HR][/HR]​
Not to question motives.. but wouldn't this seriously impact the dynamics of the handling of the car? I'm hoping they're not turning this thing into a straight line monster..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Vincent on the technical aspects: “The most difficult part is changing from FWD to RWD. The car was extensively rebuild, using M3 parts. We will try to reach the minimum weight of 1025kg. All the weight will lay between the two axles, and the CG extremely low.”
“It will get 18 inch rims, that stick 15cm out of the original wheel arches. It will be a beautiful sight, in the style of the old Renault GT Turbo group F."[HR][/HR]​
Can't wait to see the pics! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Can you give us any info about Belcar - rules, regs, other competitors?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: First picture of the M3 powered Mini. (dingoaaron)

quote:[HR][/HR] Can you give us any info about Belcar - rules, regs, other competitors?[HR][/HR]​
I'm doing a feature article for motorsportvortex about Belcar, so stay tuned. I have the rule book in Dutch and French, but no English sorry. And it's a bit too much to translate.
I'm glad you like our little car. It'll be a killer on the track.

PJ

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: First picture of the M3 powered Mini. (cougar)

quote:[HR][/HR]Not to question motives.. but wouldn't this seriously impact the dynamics of the handling of the car? I'm hoping they're not turning this thing into a straight line monster.. [HR][/HR]​
I think the engine is going to be mounted behind the driver, length-wise. It would be really hard to mount such a long engine any other way...

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: First picture of the M3 powered Mini. (RJetta8V)

It's definately rear wheel drive. You can tell because of the fenders...
Man this thing is cool! I can't wait to see how the engine was set up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: First picture of the M3 powered Mini. (RJetta8V)

You should read the article. Most common questions are answered in there.
The engine is up front. The belcar rules (art. 39) say that the new engine must be in the standard engine compartment. But don't worry about weight distribustion. The whole drivetrain sits neatly between the two axles.
Here are the Dutch regulations. Enjoy them.

PJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.