VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Rabbit Pickup Diesel 4sp
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have an '81 Rabbit Pickup diesel, and I'm looking to do a classic 4 speed to 5 speed swap here in the near future. The truck currently has a GC four speed in it, and I have an ACN five speed in the garage already. I am in the unfortunate position where I don't have my own garage to work in - I'm able to use a buddy's space, but I'd like to minimize the amount of time my truck sits in his garage if I can. That said, I'd like to have my parts ordered and my ducks in a row before I start the swap. This community has been a huge help getting me organized, but I'd like to clarify questions just to make sure that I know what I'm ordering:

• Everybody mentions that the transmission mount is different between the four speed and five speed, but for the life of me I can't figure out what different mount I'm supposed to have for the 5 speed. Does anyone have a picture/link to the mount I am going to need, so I know what I'm looking for?
  • It seems that the transmission input shafts are different between the two transmissions, and the clutch disk is larger on the ACN (210mm) than the GC (190mm?). Am I able to buy a disk that will fit the new input shaft that is small enough to fit my current clutch basket? If not, will the 210mm disk/basket pair bolt up to my current flywheel?
  • Will my old starter fit into the new transmission properly?
Thanks in advance for the help! And as my first post, I feel obligated to introduce the truck. I'm hoping to start a build thread or something some day, once I get around to actually spending some money and bringing the truck into good shape. Behold, Hoopty/Peanut/The Wingman:

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Starter fits all 020 trans the same.
210mm clutch comes in large and small input spline sizes, buy appropriately.
Flywheel has to match the clutch, so you'll need a 210mm.

Not aware of any differences in the trans mount between 4 and 5 speeds.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Not aware of any differences in the trans mount between 4 and 5 speeds
4 speed has four bolts through the top. 5 speed has two bolts through the side.

Font Auto part Security Gas Metal

This is a five speed mount bracket having the bushing pressed in.

Recently threw a 190mm disc on a 200mm flywheel and pressure plate. It seems to work just fine, but haven't driven it very far yet.

@Hoopty_Truck, Welcome. Nice truck. Digging the front plate. 😎

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for the help! I think I've got my questions squared away and a game plan put together, I appreciate the input.

@Hoopty_Truck, Welcome. Nice truck. Digging the front plate. 😎
Thanks man, this truck was a farm use vehicle for many years before I got it, and is shows the abuse haha. I've got antique plates on it now, it doesn't drive often and it never goes far but it's always fun on the way 😎

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Nothing to add to your thread.
I just wanted to endorse your getting my ducks in a row.
Best of luck on the swap.

Frequently my #1 duck alignment tool is a Spreadsheet.
Just thinking back to MS Multiplan brings a tear to my eye.

fat biker

·
Registered
21,952 Posts
Frequently my #1 duck alignment tool is a Spreadsheet.
Just thinking back to MS Multiplan brings a tear to my eye.

fat biker
LOL I remember that and MS Write...
Where is Lotus, and Wordperfect now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the endorsement, fat biker! I work out of a buddy's garage so the more organized I am, the less time I have my busted stuff on his lift. I hate waiting around for ordered parts to show up too, so I frontload it all. I use a .txt file to plan, it's pretty simple but it gets me there haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts