VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
23,706 Posts
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (3 Money Pits)

I think the 1969 Corvette ZL1 has been documented at 520+hp.

· Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (Harv)

Quote, originally posted by Harv »
Since when was that Bugatti a production car?

As far as I know, it was produced for consumption by the general public. In my OP I am not suggesting "mass produced".
I am also looking for the horsepower rating published by the manufacturer. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
42,970 Posts
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (Seabird)

Quote, originally posted by Seabird »
I think the 1969 Corvette ZL1 has been documented at 520+hp.

...but rated at 425. The specific documented case of one producing 523hp on an engine dyno (only two exist) was after the engine had been blown up, rebuilt, lost, found, and rebuilt again. All correct parts were used, but by this point the engine would have been effectively "blueprinted."
The L88 can be considered functionally identical to the ZL1, though (it just had an iron block), and there are more-original examples of the L88 that have run just as hard. The L88 also preceded the ZL1 by a year.

27,581 Posts
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (AKADriver)

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »

...but rated at 425. The specific documented case of one producing 523hp on an engine dyno (only two exist) was after the engine had been blown up, rebuilt, lost, found, and rebuilt again. All correct parts were used, but by this point the engine would have been effectively "blueprinted."
The L88 can be considered functionally identical to the ZL1, though (it just had an iron block), and there are more-original examples of the L88 that have run just as hard. The L88 also preceded the ZL1 by a year.

Also, I'd consider a car where only two examples were ever really produced something other than a production car.
The term production sort of means it was replicated over and over, and the ZL1 just wasn't.

· Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
23,706 Posts
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (justanotherusername)

Quote, originally posted by justanotherusername »

Also, I'd consider a car where only two examples were ever really produced something other than a production car.
The term production sort of means it was replicated over and over, and the ZL1 just wasn't.

The concept of "production" is pretty amorphous then. The car was factory built and delivered as an engine option package. Only two were Corvettes were dealer ordered with that option package, but several dozen Camaros were built an ddelivered with the ZL1 motor. Whether or not 2 or 2000 were built, the fact that it came from the factory as an orderable package qualifies it as production in my book.
And from what I've read, hp for the ZL1 was factory rated anywhere from 425, 430, and 450, though in some claimed race built motors were tuned to as high as 710. The 523hp "street" motor is the only that's been documented with more modern methods and I thought it merited inclusion here.

· Registered
1,003 Posts

...but rated at 425.

i saw an episode of american muscle car on speed where they dynoed old school muscle car motors. they did the 409, cobra jet 429 and a few others, but they did the hemi 427 and it dynoed at nearly double it's claimed hp

· Registered
18,870 Posts
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (Seabird)

I agree. If we're going to pick arbitrarily numbers, let's pick 3000 units per year. While we're at it, let's arbitrarily restrict it to cars sold at mom & pop dealerships. Or we can say that a production car is anything that anyone could've bought if they had money and walked into a dealership and checked off boxes that were on an order sheet.

· Registered
4,439 Posts

Technically two years, as there were also 1967 L88's. Twenty of them to be exact.

· Banned
264 Posts
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (3 Money Pits)

It's funny how Bugatti seems to have dropped off the map and resurfaced. Am I missing something, or was there virtually nothing between the EB110 and Veyron? Were they ignored for some reason?

· Registered
4,177 Posts
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (Cptn. SenseofDirection)

Quote, originally posted by Cptn. SenseofDirection »

i saw an episode of american muscle car on speed where they dynoed old school muscle car motors. they did the 409, cobra jet 429 and a few others, but they did the hemi 427 and it dynoed at nearly double it's claimed hp

I wonder how much of this increase may be owing to increased gasoline quality over the past 30-40 years. I'm sure this must have SOMETHING to do with it, but I don't know how much.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Re: First production car with over 500 horsepower? (The Chemist)

Quote, originally posted by The Chemist »

I wonder how much of this increase may be owing to increased gasoline quality over the past 30-40 years. I'm sure this must have SOMETHING to do with it, but I don't know how much.

Hard to say. It's not an apples to apples comparison as the standard fuel for those engines back then was high octane leaded fuel.
And to the poster you quoted, its a 426 Hemi

I don't find that hard to believe that the Hemi performed so well on the dyno. After all, Keith Black Hemi's are still all over the place in high end NHRA drag classes. They can make some SERIOUS power.

· Registered
32,893 Posts

...but rated at 425. The specific documented case of one producing 523hp on an engine dyno (only two exist)

Only one of which can be proven real with original documents.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.