VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for everyone. After years of working on muscle cars I've decided to build a Sport Compact car for a daily driver. I've decided "I think" on a '90-92 Jetta GLI for various reasons. I've been checking out the after market and want to know what your opinions on tunability are, since VW's seem to be infinatly harder to tune than say a Honda. Part of my reasoning for pickint a Jetta II is cost (its affordable and has descent looks for its year).
What is the potential of the 2.0L 16v motor it comes with....
What are the advantages (in regards to aftermarket support and tunablity) of other motors swapped in (G60, 20vTurbo, ect....)
Are they cost effectve swaps or will it cost me $8000 for the motor and setup which I might as well spend on a turbo kit?
I'm looking for around 300 hp at the wheels potentially with no more that 50-70hp nitrous
I would like a turbo on the 16v motor if anyone knows how to do it without spending $7000 at EIP for the kit.
A few opinions would be greatly appriciated as I am new to the suping up imports scene and its different than building a V8 MoPar engine.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Re: First Sport Compact Car.... (Foxtrot)

Hey, welcome in our group!!! I'm the other way around... a Euro guy looking at those big V8's and muscle cars!! In the end, it all boils down to the same mechanical principals... But with a different flavor!!
About your questions, make sure to read around the technical forums about the different engine types. There's lots of good info there. Jetta II's are great cars!! Used to own one myself! They can be made quite fast, the trunk space is awesome and they are real fun to drive!! Parts are easy to come by, and if you've got connections, thay can be real cheap too!!! You can swap many parts between the Golf/Jetta, Corrado and Passat platforms, and even jump from one generation to the other. That will allow you to make many modifications and updates on an A2 Jetta.
Of course, one of the most drastic update is the powerplant. VR6 being very popular. 1.8T is also becoming a hot item!! All the engine you mentionned are good choices... it only depends on your personnal taste!!
The VR6 is the choice of those who want no compromise... It's also VW's "big block". If the phrase "there's no replacement for displacement" is your thing, this is the engine that goes with it!!
The 1.8 and 2.0 16v are also very nice. Multi valve and high revving... They are very exiting to drive.
On the other side of the spectrum, there is the G60... Small 1.8L displacement, 8 valve head and a supercharger... That engine in stock form calls it quits after 5 grand... But It's a really "big" 1.8 around 3-4K. Beware though... The G60 supercharger is a bit tricky...
1.8T is a bit of a cross between G60 and 16v.... Multi valve and free revving, but with forced induction as well!! Nice little techno-marvel of an engine. A whole lot of fun to drive. I've seen 'em in both A2 and A3 Golfs, and both of them were very nice to drive...
Like I said, be sure to check around here... Also look at what others are doing... there might be something being done on a Corrado with will work great on a Jetta.... And remember, the Vortex is addictive!!!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: First Sport Compact Car.... (l5gcw0b)

There was a guy in town before i had my licence who had a '70 340 Swinger sitting around. He wouldn't sell it though. Man, I wanted that car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
To answer your questions:
A turbo 16v has tons of potential, and I would highly recommend it. Aftermarket management such as SDS or Electromotive is prettymuch a requirement, you will get the most tunability/power/reliability this way. Its not terribly diffilcult to put one together, altho I don't know of many good kits for the 16v. It should also be somewhat cheaper to put one together yourself.
There's tons of potential here, I say go for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts