VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried detailing my car for the first time the other day. I used Meguiars 3 Step. I have some questions. The three steps are
1) Paint cleaner
2) polish
3) Wax
For steps 1 and 2 I wasn't sure if I was using too much or too little. Can someone give me advice? The more I put on the harder it was to get the surface clean but when I used a little I wasn't sure it was doing anything.
What really gets the scratches out? Is it the putting on or the taking off of the polish?
I did steps 1 and 2 by hand but was wondering if I should use buffer for better results.
On step 3 I began to use the orbital buffer but the pad got dirty very quickly. Then it stopped taking the wax off and was just spreading it around so I had to remove wax from 3/4 of the car by hand. Is it normal to use more than one pad for the job? Seemed like I would need at least six to take off all the wax with a buffer.
How do you clean your pads? What's the best way to clean reusable pads?
Thanks! Pics for enjoyment.
p.s. my trunk paint is really screwed up, car came that way. Anyway to fix it?

Modified by honesttussey at 5:01 PM 6-30-2008

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Re: First Time Detailer has questions -- Used Meguiars 3 Step and Porter Cable buffer (honesttussey)

For the last two pirctures, you will have to get a respray to fix that.
The three step is really only meant to be used by hand an that never really corrects the paint.
They also don' clean the pant to very well as you can see by your pads that you waxed with. You seem to have had some oxidation on the surface with the pad and wax helped you to remove. If you were going to use the buffer, you should have used it with the steps 1 and 2 instead of the wax.
You really need a designated polish from the Optimum, Menzerna or Meguiar's lines to remove swirls.
To clean the pads, I would wash them in warm water and Dawn as a cleaner.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: First Time Detailer has questions -- Used Meguiars 3 Step and Porter Cable buffer (honesttussey)

to clean the pads just power wash them and let them air dry, wont hurt them, i detail for a living and i HATE meguiars but if you are going to use it, the more the better and use the buffer with the first two steps, for oxidation it will take alot of work and you should NOT wax it till it is all off, i prefer to wax by hand then let it dry then wipe it off and dont push hard with the wax or you will put swils into the wax, just take your time and do a panel at a time

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Re: First Time Detailer has questions -- Used Meguiars 3 Step and Porter Cable buffer (bigkid719)

I put it on w/ a buffer and off by hand. still saves time and i can focus on creases.
I have learned the hard way, never use a bone dry cloth for any part of the process.. even the most slighty misted cloth, to even remove wax helps in avoiding swirls and the spiderwebs that show at night off the street lights.
I used claybar for the first time to get rid of all the dirt. And that it did.
it was the first time on my 04 R, which is an 03 car.
the point is that it picks up fine dirt particles and keeps you from rubbing it into the paint as you wax.
There are directions to it but it's easy and I gotta say it worked amazing.
2 weeks later, my car has some dirt on it as usual, but i gotta say it still looks shiny and dirty at the same time .. amazing.

Modified by OurDirtyToo at 5:23 AM 7-1-2008

1 - 4 of 4 Posts