VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just purchased her first new car, and it is the 2003 Jetta GL. After a week, we love the car, but I've noticed a squeaking from the power steering system when turning, so I'm taking to the dealership to have it looked at today. I noticed the post about the coilpack problem and will definately ask about it.
Is there anything else we should ask about? Anything that a first time VW owner should know about? I've owned a couple of older BMWs, and loved them, and it feels like this car is the 'budget BMW' - very nearly just as good, but about half the price.
I plan on doing the regular maintainence myself, (oil changes, brake jobs, etc.) and had a few questions:
What brand oil do you folks recommend? What brand oil filter do you guys recommend? What have you found is the best way to maintain the paint job?
Are there any special tools that are required/make life easier? (There were a couple that were only available through BMW that bought just because they paid for themselves the first time I used them, just from a frustration view.)
And again, anything else I haven't thought of but should know?
TIA

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: First Time VW Owner - New 2003 Jetta GL (PStryder)

Ya know, my new 03 jetta is only a couple of weeks old. It also kinda squeaks when turning. Put up a post when you hear from the dealership what it is!

·
Registered
610 Posts

The coilpack issue only applies to Jetta's with the 1.8T, and 24V VR6 engines. You said you have the 2.0L, which isn't affected.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

congrats on the new ride...
most questions youll come across should have solutions available on here(search) how to's are a lso listed. good luck. while under warranty and free oil change and service hit the dealer but avoid the $3-400 service at 40k. check your manual and do it yourself or buy parts and have them installed at a local shop

·
Registered
67 Posts

Welcome and congratulations. You'll enjoy this car a lot. I'm in the exact same boat as you -- former BMW owner, and I found this car to offer great value and a great driving experience. So far almost 7,000 miles and no problems at all.
I also do my own maintenance work and always use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I use VW OEM oil filters (which are made by Mahle in Austria and are exactly the same as the Mahle OC49. However, I've found the VW branded ones to actually be less expensive.) I changed oil at 1,000 miles, 5,000 miles, and will go every 5,000 from here out. I figure using synthetic and OEM filters allows 5,000 mile intervals with ease.
I intend to keep the car mechanically stock, but have done some fun minor upgrades such as:
W8 overhead LED ambiance console
Dual sunglasses holders in the front
Monster Mats (definitely get these!)
Audi TT Jack Pads
Reprogrammed autolocks / unlocking
Remove airbag warning labels from sunvisors
You can search under each mod and find topics galore to explain them.
Enjoy your new car and VW ownership!
Dave

[Modified by avusblue, 8:18 PM 3-22-2003]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: First Time VW Owner - New 2003 Jetta GL (avusblue)

Oops I forgot. No special car care or paint care materials required, just use good quality stuff . . . I swear by Griot's Garage line of creams and potions (plus their catalog makes great bathroom reading).
No special tools needed although if you don't have them, you may want to make sure you have a set of Torx driver bits as many fasteners around the car use Torx.
Also, check out the forums at http://www.tdiclub.com . . . even though I don't have a TDI engine, the "upgrades" section over there seems to have good info with a much better signal to noise ratio (albeit less quantity) than the vortex.
Hope that helps.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts