VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the first attempt at vagging my A3. It was mostly successful but with some variation from the writeup. Here's what I found:
1. I can't find a way to eliminate the seat belt chime. None of the bytes in controller 17 appear to change that (according to the long coding helper).
2. On my car, controllers 9 and 17 have exactly the same coding.
3. Enabling window closing via remote differed from the writeup. Instead of bytes 3,4,5, I had to change bytes 5,6,7. Closing/opening works with the remote but not with the window switch. Is this standard behavior?
4. I enabled Emergency Brake Flash (Controller 17, Byte 17, Bit 0) but have no way to test it.

5. I enabled the Advanced Comfort Menu (Controller 17, Byte 23, Bit 1). I've only had the car a week so I didn't memorize the menus but it appears that there are now more options in the menu.
6. I disabled selective lock (which I hated).
I still have some changes to make but most require hardware changes (Euro light switch, footwell lights). One question I have, do base model cars have an ambient light sensor to automatically turn on the instrument lights (not the headlights, I know that's absent)?
Thanks for the ideas and the help with questions over the past week.

· Registered
13,801 Posts
Re: First VAGCom session with the A3 (TregOH)

1 & 3 I'll note these in my article.
4. I tried that, it seemed to have no effect at all. I recall getting confirmation that it was not implemented on the A3. Curious to see if that has changed.

6. Mine came with it disabled (2006), and an owner's manual insert to say that. 2007+ had it enabled by default. I hate selective (un)locking too.
The ambient sensor for the instrument cluster is present, and it turns OFF the lights. Drive into a dark garage/tunnel and you'll see what I mean.

· Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,614 Posts
Re: First VAGCom session with the A3 (OOOO-A3)

Quote, originally posted by OOOO-A3 »
The ambient sensor for the instrument cluster is present, and it turns OFF the lights. Drive into a dark garage/tunnel and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah it turns off the instrument panel lighting (minus the needles) to "remind you" to turn on your lights.
It's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard of. Not because it dims the panel (that's good to let you know to turn on the lights) but because why the heck don't they just use that sensor for auto headlights???
Oh no, they decide to use another sensor in the rearview mirror which is only on cars with auto-headlights to perform that duty. Instead they could use just the one sensor and give everybody auto-headlights, standard, but they don't. It seems to me to be either really retarded engineering or just a way to get money out of you for options
It senses no make.

I mean my other car is 11 years old, cost a good bit less than the A3 when new, and it has auto headlights; why it isn't standard on the A3 and why they can't use one sensor for it is beyond me.

Modified by Audi'sRevenge at 7:35 PM 8/4/2008

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: First VAGCom session with the A3 (Audi'sRevenge)

Quote, originally posted by Audi’sRevenge »

Yeah it turns off the instrument panel lighting (minus the needles) to "remind you" to turn on your lights.
Modified by Audi'sRevenge at 7:35 PM 8/4/2008

Well in that case it seems to be working exactly as it should.
Thanks Len and Revenge.
How about using the driver's window switch to close all windows after shutting off the engine? The controller settings seem to indicate that it's possible (and Passats do it). Has anyone gotten it to work? If so, it's possible that I have an incorrect bit in my coding.
My 500th post. Maybe I should have posted pictures to commemorate (but I don't have any yet). Over the weekend I clayed and waxed the A3 so it's beautiful. Photos soon.

· Registered
3,614 Posts

08 Seat belt chime delete
17 - Instruments module
Factory coding: 0052288
New coding for seat belt chime delete: 0052208
works perfectly fine on my 08

This is the coding I have for open/close windows & close sunroof via remote.
1A8022A001182D2D050FCC8F0477
08s act a little different than others, you need to hold down lock until all windows and sunroof close. You will also need to hold down unlock button until the point you want your windows to be open. The windows will stop as soon as you let go off the button on the keyfobs.
I haven't played around to have the drivers window switch to close all windows.
Make sure you write down your factory coding just in case these codes don't work on your car so that you can put it back to where it was.

· Registered
10,693 Posts
Re: First VAGCom session with the A3 (yoonskim)

Quote, originally posted by yoonskim »

Make sure you write down your factory coding just in case these codes don't work on your car so that you can put it back to where it was.

Definitely good advice. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: First VAGCom session with the A3 (yoonskim)

Quote, originally posted by yoonskim »
08 Seat belt chime delete
17 - Instruments module
Factory coding: 0052288
New coding for seat belt chime delete: 0052208
works perfectly fine on my 08

My coding for Controller 17 looks nothing like that, it's a long code. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my car is a base model.
Open and close with the remote work just fine, it's only the driver's window switch I'm working on.
Thanks for the reply.

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

1 & 3 I'll note these in my article.

I'm an idiot. I hooked the VAGCom up again today and opened controller 17. This time it gave me coding that looked like that described in the writeup. Disabling the seatbelt chime was easy.
I have a theory for how I screwed up. I bought a used Windows laptop for VAGCom (we're Mac users). It's setup so that touching the touchpad will act as a mouse click. I think I must have had the cursor over the Controller 9 button and touched the pad to move the cursor to Controller 17. So Controller 9 opened. Clearly those two controllers don't have the same coding. Sorry if I confused anyone. Does anyone know how to change the touchpad behavior?

· Registered
13,801 Posts

I HATE HATE HATE 'tap to click'. I've had users dick up server volumes by dragging (moving or copying) top-level folders inadvertently, so I make sure it's disabled on any machines I manage.

Start --> (settings) --> Control Panel --> Mouse and look for settings specific to the type of trackpad you have (Synaptics, etc.) On the Synaptics driver, you have to look for Hardware and then Properties or Hardware Features or Advanced. In there, look for 'tapping' and uncheck 'tap to click'.

Same thing on OS X: Apple Menu --> System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse --> Trackpad and uncheck 'Clicking'.

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I HATE HATE HATE 'tap to click'.

No argument from me.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had been looking in Control Panel but couldn't find it. Turns out that the correct driver wasn't there. I downloaded and installed the driver from IBM and now everything is good. No more opening the wrong controller.

In the second session, I set the bit to put DRLs in the menu. Didn't have any effect. I know that's enabled on some models and not on others. Apparently not on the A3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.