VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a '95 Jetta GLX with an auto. All my VWs to date have been 5-speed, so I'm at a loss with what to do with this one. Basically, I need to know:
* What model trans is it?
* How does one do a fluid/filter change?
* Capacities, filter and pan gasket part numbers, etc.
* What to look for in the way of performance issues?
And anything else that pertains to this transmission. I'd appreciate the help, because I'm out of my league here.
BTW, I have a Bentley manual, I just can't get to it - it's packed up for a move.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: First VW auto-trans car, need some help (VWDrvrsWtd)

its a 4spd AG4 transmission.
2 ways to do a fluid change, 1. use a fluid exchanger and flush the old fluid out (these machines are roughly $2000) 2. drop trans pan and drain whats in the pan and filter. the filter just pulls straight down and is only held up by the o-ring sealing it to the valve body.
if you drop the pan to do a fluid change you will need a pan gasket and 3 qts of VW synthetic fluid. i dont know the part# off the top of my head
Once you fill the trans through the very small fill tube (has a red locking cap on it above the pan) you will need to measure the trans fluid temp and pull the small alan plug on the bottom of the pan when the temp is at 31 degrees C and put it back in at 41 degrees C. If its filled enough you should have fluid running out of that hole between those temps.once it slows down and just trickling out go ahead and install the alan plug again. now the fluid is adjusted to spec. make sure you run it through the gears BEFORE checking the fluid level described above. if you do not adjust the level correctly you WILL destroy that AG4 Trans. they are known to be the weak link in the VR6 cars. Theres also a tech billetin relating to a mis-shift concern with these AG4 trannies. There is a resistor wire repair at the TCM for this.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: First VW auto-trans car, need some help (03Jetta1.8T)

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to get all the ATF out of the trans short of the flush - which I've heard is not a great idea, assuming we're talking about the reverse flush system? Or is a simple filter/fluid change as you described sufficient? This sounds like a real ball-breaker as far as the temps involved are concerned - how do you measure them correctly?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: First VW auto-trans car, need some help (VWDrvrsWtd)

there really is no way to flush out all the old fluid with a machine and approx 10 qts of fluid. dropping the pan will get abit more then half of whats in the trans altogether. the torque convertor will hold the most old fluid after that. As far as checking the temp, you can either use a scan tool; VAG1551/1552/5051/5052 or Ross-Tech VAG-COM or a hand held temp gun that reads Celcius. We use both ways to check depending on avail of the VAS5052 in the shop. Getting the fluid adjustment correct is very important. this is why hardly any other independant shops will try this repair since they have no repair info to do this repair correctly without the risk of burning a trans.
Good luck.
BTW, ive seen the hand held thermometers for as little as $100 and i think craftsman now carries a line that is just above the $100 mark.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a link to, or a copy of the TSB you're referring to? I'd like to read it.
Thanks for your help so far, it's appreciated.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: (VWDrvrsWtd)

I do not have a link to the TSB, its in VESIS at our dealer. Im not sure how you would find it online. I know the procedure very well, but i do not know the part # of the resistor wire kit you would buy from the dealers parts dept. Its only needed for TCM's with software up to 4601. Which i garuntee yours is lower then 4601 and you would need the repair. It basiclly stops the TCM from losing its shift point memory. These TCM's would slowly lose thier memory and start having late shifts or flared shifts. Anyhow, the part is roughly $20 i believe and its an hour or so to splice it into the TCM wiring harness and to the TCM plug. not a hard repair, just a slow and tedious one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts