VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I recently found out how to convert the fish-scale aluminum trim to the brushed aluminum trim. It took me a long time but I think it is well worth it and will definitely be installing it into my B7 Audi S4. Check out the pictures below and let me know what you guys think. Whole process took me roughly 20 hours. I hated the fish-scale aluminum trim and not to mention it was in really bad condition but I got most if not all of the imperfections out. Sorry for the pictures as they are not very good but trust me the trim looks better in person!

Got a couple of friends that are interested in me doing it for them. So if you guys want me to do it for you just PM me and I will get it done for you. Thanks for looking! Feedback appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's probably worth doing a polyurethane clear coat over the nicely grained parts. I work in a sheet metal shop, and brushed aluminum (or stainless for that matter) REALLY shows even the smallest of scratches.

A clear coat will keep the integrity of the trim's grain, and become easily fixable should you scratch something.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Brushed aluminum trim

HI saw your post from 6 yrs ago (I know its a log shoot)

HOw much do you charge to convert a beat up fishscale trim to aluminum brushed trim?

If you are not doing them any more can you tell me the steps?

Thx

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
if you want to do this yourself:

tape up all areas you don't want to brush

to remove the fishscale pattern, start with 400 then work your way up to 600 then 800 then 1500 make sure you sand in straight lines only in one long stroke to make smooth consistent line. Stop working through the grades when you've reached your desired texture/smoothness.

if your doing this to chrome pieces on any other car you can start with a green scrubbie and just brush it along in straight lines

B7 a4 oem brushed trim is not clearcoated but trust me it scratches super easily

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
if you want to do this yourself:

tape up all areas you don't want to brush

to remove the fishscale pattern, start with 400 then work your way up to 600 then 800 then 1500 make sure you sand in straight lines only in one long stroke to make smooth consistent line. Stop working through the grades when you've reached your desired texture/smoothness.

if you're doing this to chrome pieces on any other car you can start with a green scrubbie and just brush it along in straight lines

B7 a4 oem brushed trim is not clearcoated but trust me it scratches super easily

·
Registered
547 Posts
HI saw your post from 6 yrs ago (I know its a log shoot)

HOw much do you charge to convert a beat up fishscale trim to aluminum brushed trim?

If you are not doing them any more can you tell me the steps?

Thx
Green pad + acetone. Will take you 5-10 minutes per trim piece.

Finish it up with 1000grit.

Way easier with the proper technique, what took him 20 hours becomes a 2-3 hour job:

Use a dremel with a burr and remove the Quattro logo from the belt line trim and do the same with the rubber insert from the ashtray. You can also remove the chrome surround on the shifter trim if manual. Dont tape anything..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.