VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fisker's affordable all-electric SUV is called 'Ocean'

Click on above link if photos don't show up in quote below.

Fisker's affordable all-electric SUV is called 'Ocean'
The sub-$40,000 vehicle will debut on January 4th, 2020.

Earlier this year, Fisker revealed that it's planning to release a relatively affordable electric SUV in 2021. Now, the automaker has revealed that the vehicle will be called the "Fisker Ocean." Fisker will forego building a showcar and will debut what it says is "a fully running production intent prototype sitting on the actual, completely engineered platform" on January 4th, 2020. It will be private event, but the company promises to put a livestream up that everyone can watch.

The Ocean will have a full-length solar roof to help boost the vehicle's range, and Fisker believes it will provide up to 1,000 extra clean miles a year. It will also use carpeting made from abandoned fishing net waste pulled from oceans, as well as vegan materials for the interior.

Before the vehicle itself debuts, Fisker will launch its mobile app first. You can use the app, which will be available on November 27th, to lease the vehicle with no long-term contracts. Fisker will take early reservations and reveal more details about the vehicle, including its pricing, on the same day. It previously said that the SUV will cost less than $40,000, though, making it one the relatively affordable electric vehicles you can buy. The company also said that Ocean's target range is approximately 250 to 300 miles and that it may come with an 80 kWh lithium-ion battery pack.

The vehicle is scheduled to go into production by the end of 2021, with the first high-volume deliveries slated to happen sometime in 2022.

·
Registered
13,445 Posts
A SUV with Chinese eyes... front and back

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
It looks... kind of ok?

Very RangeRover-ey. Kind of superboring actually.

Nothing superexotic like Karma at all.

Karma was amazing.

But this is a cheap one, so I guess it's ok...

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
It looks... kind of ok?

Very RangeRover-ey. Kind of superboring actually.

Nothing superexotic like Karma at all.

Karma was amazing.

But this is a cheap one, so I guess it's ok...
What if you could lease it for like $400 a month? Service included. With 300 miles of range? Built on a Toyota or VW platform? Would you?

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Almost sounds too good to be true (price, etc). If you’re trying to break back into the car business though, this is how you do it!

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
This is further evidence that electric vehicles are such a disruption to the traditional car business that anyone with a name can make ripples.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Still stuck with one vehicle that's nice to look at.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
This is further evidence that electric vehicles are such a disruption to the traditional car business that anyone with a name can make ripples.
I think you are failing to give credit that Henrik Fisker is more than “anyone with a name”. Even though the Karma ended up being sold off, he brought a car from idea to market in a few years. Other than Tesla, nobody else has really done that. If the original Fisker Automotive had as much capital as Tesla, the first effort may likely still be around. Instead, it still exists, just owned by the Wanxiang group as Karma Automotive. That car exists, is produced in the US, and is well regarded in its latest iteration. So while I agree the EV market is nascent and open, I think you don’t give Henrik enough credit for what he accomplished the first time around.

My Karma, #007 ever built, still runs great and turns heads, even almost 8 years after I took delivery in December 2011. It came out before Tesla, but would have been better off waiting a year or two longer.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I placed my deposit on a Fisker Ocean, using the new Fisker App. $250 to hold a place in line. Yes, it’s not until 2022, but that’s just around the corner, car-wise.

Fisker is seeking to be something different this time: a”mobility” provider. They are targeting a $379/mo “subscription”, with $2999 down and 30,000 miles a year! Free maintenance and you can turn the car in at any time to cancel the subscription. It’s a wildly different model which should appeal to people who really don’t want to own the car. The App will be the central platform for drivers, offering everything from insurance to delivery and maintenance. IMO, it’s a first step toward an app that could be used for other things like driverless ride sharing, etc.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ll-digital-experience-unveiled-300965984.html

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,916 Posts
Interesting. That fits my needs almost ideally. Has me thinking hard...

Also, vegan this vegan that :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 257 Posts