VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

181 - 200 of 257 Posts
13,842 Posts
“Having done it once before, the big lesson learned is that it is extremely difficult to try to do everything yourself. The car industry has evolved over 100 years and you can't underestimate what it takes to not only make a car but also get it into production, distribute it and then keep the cash flow going and earning enough money to make the next models. All that is part of our business plan,” he says.

“There is only one way, in my view, you can get this to work: You must have some really, really big partners. And we do have that, and not just on the investment side.”
It's good they are clear headed about the challenges of doing this. I felt like Musk's cavalier attitude to mass production and wishful thinking that the alien dreadnought would somehow make everything easy was a huge contributor to the Model 3's painful launch.

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,105 Posts
New data

https://www.prnewswire.com/in/news-...-award-sweeping-ces-2020-debut-882913353.html

• Dramatic Dimensions: At 4,640 millimeters (182.7 inches) in length, 1,930 millimeters (76 inches) in width and 1,615 millimeters (63.6 inches) in height, the all-electric luxury SUV offers a spacious environment for both front and rear passengers. With thoughtful design touches, new spaces are created for five adults to sit comfortably – even during the longest of rides.
  • Functional Utility: With 566 liters (20 cubic feet) of trunk space, the vehicle presents practicality and utility. The space increases to 708 liters (25 cubic feet) with the parcel shelf removed, expanding to 1,274 liters (45 cubic feet) with the rear seats folded. The Fisker Ocean will come with roof rails and towing hook options. Towing capacity will be released in 2021.
  • Stunning Wheels: The base model will feature stylishly designed 20-inch wheels, with 22-inch wheel options for an even larger presence on and off the road.
  • All-Terrain Driving and Power: The Fisker Ocean will be offered in a four-wheel drive configuration on all trims except for the base model – reflecting the vehicle's off-road capabilities. The standard four-wheel drive configuration will deliver an output of more than 225 kilowatts (more than 300 horsepower), with an ultra-high performance version targeting zero-to-60 mph in less than three seconds (total power output to be announced in 2021).
  • Charging and Range: The Fisker Ocean features a CCS Type 2 Combo plug – enabling the vehicle to be charged through any stations that leverage technology in line with the latest in international standards.
    • In North America, Fisker Ocean vehicles will be automatically recognized by Electrify America's charging stations – allowing for simple charging, automatic release and automatic payments.
      • Fisker will offer a free miles package with each vehicle, allowing for a certain amount of complimentary charging. Additional details on charging packages will be shared later in 2020.
    • The vehicle is equipped with a fully sourced, validated and tested state-of-the-art battery – with +80 kWh capacity and a range of up to 300 miles (depending on driving conditions).
    • More than 200 miles of range can be delivered from 30 minutes of charging for the Fisker Ocean (15% capacity to 80% capacity). Electrify America's 150 kW chargers can charge capable vehicles up to 20 miles per minute.

·
Registered
11,726 Posts
“The standard four-wheel drive configuration will deliver an output of more than 225 kilowatts (more than 300 horsepower), with an ultra-high performance version targeting zero-to-60 mph in less than three seconds (total power output to be announced in 2021).”

That’s definitely not ID.3 power lol.

·
Registered
17,751 Posts
I know the pick-up market is huge, but that's due to $15K in cash being placed on the hoods of these $50K trucks.
Will these EV pick-up start-ups have to follow the same business plan, to gain access to this market?

·
Registered
46,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I know the pick-up market is huge, but that's due to $15K in cash being placed on the hoods of these $50K trucks.
Will these EV pick-up start-ups have to follow the same business plan, to gain access to this market?
The government will put $7500 on the hood of every EV pickup except GM and Tesla.

·
Registered
16,244 Posts
Looking forward to the Alaska.

As others have mentioned, I'm not sure how these EV pickups are going to be received, but I don't think anybody does. Let's try it and see what sticks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
17,751 Posts
The government will put $7500 on the hood of every EV pickup except GM and Tesla.
You're right, there.
So, the companies need to only add $7500 in incentives, to match the giveaways currently pushed by The Big 3.

Rivian is also smart in picking a midwestern state for its factory. They will obviously sell product on the coasts, but it might make marketing EVs easier in the heartland, when the trucks are built in Indiana.

Tesla is eyeing Texas, for a new gigafactory. That will likely help Tesla's image in the heart of truck country, as well.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
"In North America, Fisker Ocean vehicles will be automatically recognized by Electrify America's charging stations – allowing for simple charging, automatic release and automatic payments.
Fisker will offer a free miles package with each vehicle, allowing for a certain amount of complimentary charging. Additional details on charging packages will be shared later in 2020."

Plug and charge!

They're definitely planning what they need to do to compete with Model Y.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,879 Posts
No. I buy 3-4 year old used cars for half that payment.

Then you have no say in how any new car is made, and you're part of the reason we don't get manuals, wagons, or whatever other enthusiast desire is.

Oh, without new car buyers, you wouldn't have used cars to buy, either. So don't go acting like your smarter than everyone else.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Then you have no say in how any new car is made, and you're part of the reason we don't get manuals, wagons, or whatever other enthusiast desire is.

Oh, without new car buyers, you wouldn't have used cars to buy, either. So don't go acting like your smarter than everyone else.
You're right about one thing: Without new car buyers, there would be no used cars to buy. But I let the first owners depreciate them for me and save thousands of dollars to boot.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
You're right about one thing: Without new car buyers, there would be no used cars to buy. But I let the first owners depreciate them for me and save thousands of dollars to boot.
And since Fisker’s business model is a “subscription”, you’ll be able to subscribe to a 2 or 3 year old Ocean or Alaska after a few years when someone else turns theirs in. That’s the beauty of their model: they can control the product and can continue to recirculate their vehicles to the “next subscriber” at ever-decreasing prices as the vehicle ages. You can subscribe for a new one or, eventually, an older one. But the $3000 down payment is what will keep you from “flipping”.

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,105 Posts
I'm hoping I don't have to caress my door handle to get in on the production model.

181 - 200 of 257 Posts