VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,449 Posts
True, it is the Apple of EVs, but like Apple, not every likes the Apple design.

Besides, I wonder if the Magna production facility is more advanced/refined than the Tesla facility. I can't comprehend paying 40k for a car riddled with issues.

Which $40k car are you referring to? 😉

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,154 Posts
Which $40k car are you referring to? 😉
Well, I was referring to their mass-made models, the 3 and Y. $40k may be low for the average 3 transaction.

I just know they had teething troubles ramping up production rates. I just wonder if the Magna facility is more mature and would have less defects from the start.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,449 Posts
^^ I know. I was just giving you a hard time, because VW’s ~$40,000 launch id.3 models had a ton of software and systems teething issues, even from a major institutional automaker with over 100 years of organizational knowledge, that ALSO claims to have a robust and well-capitalized EV strategy.

Part of those issues stem from the fact that VW did not (and never will) completely vertically integrate, engineer, and manufacture their entire EV powertrain.

And.... neither will Fisker, thru Magna, and thru Magna’s subcontractors and suppliers. They literally said as much in that press release above.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
19,154 Posts
True, I was just hoping that would be sorted out in 2 years.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Hate all you want on Tesla, they control everything from the manufacture of the cells to the motors to the motor controller software to the VSC tuning. That adds efficiency, value, and most importantly... everything in the powertrain speaks the same language.
There is no doubt that vertical integration helps in design efficiency, But I respectfully disagree with some of your other contentions. For one, Tesla sources battery cells from other manufacturers, including Panasonic, just like Volkswagen and Toyota. The basic cell architecture is the same for all. Tesla now, as we know from battery day, is developing a completely new battery architecture for their vehicles that will certainly leapfrog the traditional 18650 and 2170 lithium ion battery cell architecture. Tabless design and higher densities will be an amazing upgrade. But Cell modules made from those basic Panasonic cells are now available as well as entire cell packs made from modules. None of that existed the first time Fisker made the Karma. A123 supplied the battery packs but went out of business, leaving Fisker Automotive with no battery source. That’s not a problem this time. And Fisker gets the benefit of many companies evolving battery technology through time.

Secondly, Magna has many years of manufacturing experience, building complete cars on their Graz line for many OEMs. This isn’t an experiment. The plant in Graz is manufacturing the Mercedes-Benz G-Class, the BMW 5 Series model, the BMW Z4, the E-PACE and I-PACE model for Jaguar Land Rover as well as the Toyota GR Supra.

There may be many reasons not to invest in the company, I just don’t think those were the ones.

·
Registered
25,198 Posts
True, it is the Apple of EVs, but like Apple, not every likes the Apple design.

Besides, I wonder if the Magna production facility is more advanced/refined than the Tesla facility. I can't comprehend paying 40k for a car riddled with issues.
Are you seriously comparing the production quality of a company that's been building cars in high volumes for various OEMs since the 1960s with Tesla that use screw drivers and hammers to cobble cars together in a tent?

·
Registered
19,154 Posts
I did not know how long that facility has been around for.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Hopefully the difference between Fisker/Magna and Tesla will be that the former will try to address all of the teething problems BEFORE they hand cars to customers. There certainly will be development issues when one group designs it, a second supplies major components and a third integrates it. It’s a great opportunity for finger pointing.

Magna may be the “gold standard” but they aren’t immune to adversity. The only project I worked on that they led was the Lincoln Blackwood. That was definitely rocky.

·
Registered
19,154 Posts
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spartan-fisker-expect-cash-exceed-124500414.html

LOS ANGELES / NEW YORK, Oct. 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Spartan Energy Acquisition Corp. (“Spartan”) (NYSE: SPAQ), and Fisker Inc. (“Fisker”), announced today that, as of the deadline for redemption elections in connection with the pending business combination between the two companies (the “Fisker Transaction”), approximately $550 million of the original $552 million will remain available in Spartan’s trust.

When combined with previously announced outstanding financing commitments of approximately $500 million and cash on hand at Fisker, the post-combination company expects to have in excess of $1.0 billion (net of transaction fees and expenses) of cash on the balance sheet and no funded debt, following the closing of the Fisker Transaction. This amount is expected to fund Fisker operations and the development of the Fisker Ocean program through the planned start of production in Q4 2022.
And seems the SPAQ/FSR IPO/Merger vote passed.

·
Registered
19,154 Posts
More details

AURORA, Ontario, Jan. 04, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Magna today confirmed that it is collaborating with Fisker to develop an Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS), which will be applied to the Fisker Ocean SUV that is expected to launch in late 2022. This new business win demonstrates Magna’s ability to bring scale and efficiency to the mobility landscape and represents an important expansion of the EV platform sharing, vehicle engineering and manufacturing cooperation the two companies announced last October.

Magna and Fisker will work together to develop industry-unique ADAS features and a suite of software packages powered by a scalable domain controller architecture.
In addition to leveraging cameras and ultrasonic sensors, the ADAS package includes a unique and first-to-market digital imaging radar technology. Co-developed with Austin, Texas-based technology startup Uhnder, ICON RADARTM is the first digital imaging single-chip radar solution for the automotive marketplace.

“One of our strategic goals is to pursue new business in areas where Magna’s unique strengths can be deployed with an advantage compared to our peers,” said Swamy Kotagiri, Magna CEO. “Our collaboration with Fisker is a great example - we can provide a new OEM like Fisker with a flexible and scalable EV platform, complete ADAS package, joint vehicle engineering and manufacturing. By engaging early and working closely with such customers, we can provide rapid commercialization and gain synergies including cost efficiency, delivering additional benefits to the industry overall.”
Fisker and Magna recently completed the definitive platform agreement and initial manufacturing agreement, just two months on from the original framework agreements. The Fisker Ocean will initially be manufactured exclusively by Magna in Europe.

The Fisker Ocean SUV will use a modified version of a Magna-developed EV platform to power Fisker’s FM29 platform.

"The ability to integrate Fisker-Intelligent Pilot technologies into the Fisker Ocean SUV from launch is mission-critical for the whole program,” said Henrik Fisker, Chairman and CEO, Fisker. “The excellent collaboration between the Fisker and Magna engineering teams, already proven by passing the first engineering milestone last November, gave us the confidence to work with Magna on these important technologies for the Ocean."

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

Fisker and Foxconn to collaborate on EV project

The new collaboration between Foxconn and Fisker will revolutionize the automotive industry model by introducing ICT capabilities – which help automakers accelerate their transition to new, innovative, and efficient manufacturing processes and business models. “The collaboration between our firms means that it will only take 24 months to produce the next Fisker vehicle – from research and development to production, reducing half of the traditional time required to bring a new vehicle to market,” said Young-way Liu.

·
Registered
E39 M5, E46 325i Touring, F30 328dX Touring
3,860 Posts
Poseidon called Fisker's and demanded to stop using "Ocean" as vehicle name.

241 - 260 of 261 Posts