VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
So... 1k miles a year from the solar panel or 2.7 miles a day. That's almost useless. I want to see the math for solar panel charging range (even on a sunny California outing) vs the same vehicle's range without the weight of the solar panel.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
How do you feel about buying a car from a "new" manufacturer, or in the case of Fisker, as start-up with a history of failure on its record?
I am not criticizing the company, the car, or your purchase decision.
I just don't think I'd have the courage to make a major purchase from a company that is new. (What if the company goes under? What happens to the resale value/warranty/etc...?)
But you missed the while point! They are not selling you the car, so you have no financial risk. They understand that this is the issue with a new car company, so they allow you to “subscribe” to the car, and you can give it back at any time. 30,000 miles allowed every year, and no long-term contract, so you can hand the car back at any time. This keeps new people from worrying about getting stuck with a car. The company and their banking partner will take all the financial risk. If you think about it, it’s genius, because it allows people to take on this new car company’s product. Tesla kind of does this under the radar by buying back and controlling the used car market a bit. Fisker learned from the last time. People don’t want to take the leap. By allowing people to take no risk, it should cause many people to jump in... which then is a self-fulfilling prophecy for ensuring that more people can have a positive experience.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
So... 1k miles a year from the solar panel or 2.7 miles a day. That's almost useless. I want to see the math for solar panel charging range (even on a sunny California outing) vs the same vehicle's range without the weight of the solar panel.
It’s not meaningful, but it is a small start to a technology that can improve over time. An extra “free” few miles can’t hurt. I have the solar roof on my Fisker Karma, and it’s intent in 2011 was mainly to provide power to run a cooling fan on hot days to keep the battery cool. It does mostly nothing, and the company first offered it as an option, but virtually every customer of the first units ordered the option, so they made it standard on the 3000 or so produced. There exists no Karma without it. I think now on the new Fiskers it’s a design, aesthetic, and conversation piece that can someday grow into something more as battery and PV panel technology evolves. Gotta start somewhere! The first car air conditioners didn’t do much, either. Everything evolves.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Interesting. That fits my needs almost ideally. Has me thinking hard...

Also, vegan this vegan that :facepalm:
What is wrong with using sustainable interior materials? Leather is a ****ty material for car interiors, it's idiotic that animals die for something so subpar.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,034 Posts
What is wrong with using sustainable interior materials? Leather is a ****ty material for car interiors, it's idiotic that animals die for something so subpar.
Keep reading ;)

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using sustainable materials made from things other than animals. I think that would be fantastic.

Do. Not. Market. It. As. Vegan.

Just stop.

Call it something else.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using sustainable materials made from things other than animals. I think that would be fantastic.

Do. Not. Market. It. As. Vegan.

Just stop.

Call it something else.
Why come up with another name for it when one already exists?

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Because I'm not chewing on the f*cking car, that's why.
Much like I said to Smooremin, veganism isn't just about eating. It extends way past that into the use of animal products in general.

That being said, both of you are probably representative of the general population's knowledge regarding vegans. I was the same way before I moved to Seattle. :laugh:

·
18,437 Posts
Much like I said to Smooremin, veganism isn't just about eating. It extends way past that.

That being said, both of you are probably representative of the general population's knowledge regarding vegans. I was the same way before I moved to Seattle. :laugh:
No, I get it, it's a lifestyle.

As a car brand I don't think it's necessary to say your seats are vegan. BMW doesn't do it with the i3 and they have no problem selling cars. I'm sure vegans and regular humans both purchase them.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Because I'm not chewing on the f*cking car, that's why.
As has already been mentioned, vegan isn't just about eating. You think that someone who doesn't eat meat for ethical reasons wants to wear it?

My wife isn't vegan but it's the only option for things like wine that typically are made with animal by-products in the creation process. And even finding wines that certify as vegan is incredibly difficult. Hell, there are plenty that probably are but since they don't certify there is no way to know.

EDIT: Complaing that it's called "vegan" is a lot of old man yelling at clouds. A word exists top convey exactly what it is. There is no real reason to invent another.

And, let's be honest, you know Fisker is targeting these kind of people with a full EV.

·
Millennial
German crap
23,781 Posts
I much prefer a good cloth over. leather...however, that's hard to come by these days.

If the animal is already being eaten for its tasty beef, why not use the hide? Seems like it would be pretty wasteful to not use all of the animal.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,034 Posts
And, let's be honest, you know Fisker is targeting these kind of people with a full EV.
So by calling it something other than Vegan, they will not buy it??

Again, call it animal friendly, and everyone is happy. Whats the big deal about that?

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
For a single day, probably but like Dave said you need to start somewhere. For the whole year that's pulling three full recharges off of the grid per car. Again not ground breaking but it's a start for people who keep saying that the grid can't handle all the new EVs that are coming. Multiply that over many cars and it does make a difference. And who knows. Maybe as the tech evolves they will develop to provide more of the day to day charge.

After reading about the subscription program I was fully against it BUT now that I've thought about it for a bit it kind of makes sense. It seems that more and more people don't want to own a car. I get it. It's a lot of money, up keep, depreciation, etc and the majority of the driving public doesn't really care about the car they drive as long as it meets their needed criteria. I've always kept cars a really long time, for the most part, but this model does kind of intrigue me. :cool:

·
18,437 Posts
For a single day, probably but like Dave said you need to start somewhere. For the whole year that's pulling three full recharges off of the grid per car. Again not ground breaking but it's a start for people who keep saying that the grid can't handle all the new EVs that are coming.
Oh no.

You said grid.

This thread is doomed.

·
Registered
18,054 Posts
So by calling it something other than Vegan, they will not buy it??

Again, call it animal friendly, and everyone is happy. Whats the big deal about that?
YOU are the only one unhappy about the word vegan. Why should the rest of the English speaking world stop using that word?
And again, in the Fisker press release, the word only appears once. We've used it much more in this thread.

VEGAN VEGAN VEGAN
:laugh:

41 - 60 of 261 Posts