VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

141 - 160 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Interesting concept, but I have to repeat: Building cars is hard. No information disclosed on where it's going to be built and by who (assuming it will be contract built like the Karma with Valmet). These are kind of important things to not have nailed down. Battery supplier and stuff would be good to know too. I wish them success, but I am very skeptical that they'll be successful.
So much vapor in here I'd think I was at a WRX meetup
Much of that will be disclosed at CES this week. Consider the maker of cars that is the core of this particular forum and imagine things…

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,415 Posts
Interesting concept, but I have to repeat: Building cars is hard. No information disclosed on where it's going to be built and by who (assuming it will be contract built like the Karma with Valmet). These are kind of important things to not have nailed down. Battery supplier and stuff would be good to know too. I wish them success, but I am very skeptical that they'll be successful.
Hopefully whoever they use helps them build a car with better panel fit than the Karma. I saw a Karma parked in town here over the weekend and forgot how incredibly poor it was. Some sections had Range Rover Classic sized gaps, other areas the panels were touching, and others had edges that seemed to fray up like worn out notebook pages.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
Are you implying that they're partnering with VW?
:wave: :wave:

I don't think he's implying anything, just letting us know that Fisker will likely be partnering with a very large automaker to produce this vehicle.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Are you implying that they're partnering with VW?
Hmmm. Adding 2+2, you often get 4.

Fisker hires a new head of manufacturing from...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-manufacturing-exec-for-300-mile-electric-suv

The battery and range specs on the Ocean seem like...

https://chargedevs.com/features/a-look-at-volkswagens-meb-architecture/

MEB is designed to make EV development easy...

http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/the-electric-vehicle-module/

Others have adopted it...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2019/07/12/ford-volkswagen-ev-partnership/amp/

The Ocean looks like:

·
Registered
11,726 Posts
Hmmm. Adding 2+2, you often get 4.

Fisker hires a new head of manufacturing from...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-manufacturing-exec-for-300-mile-electric-suv

The battery and range specs on the Ocean seem like...

https://chargedevs.com/features/a-look-at-volkswagens-meb-architecture/

MEB is designed to make EV development easy...

http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/the-electric-vehicle-module/

Others have adopted it...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2019/07/12/ford-volkswagen-ev-partnership/amp/

The Ocean looks like:

ROFL, please!

·
Registered
11,726 Posts
This would definitely annoy the piss out of me. Ideally, I would want to have one app, from the manufacture, which allowed for many different options for charging and car settings within the same app.

I know its possible, someone just needs to do it.
It's a racket. Technically, it is possible to have a credit card reader on the charger, end of story.

Financially, it's structured based on usage and that is different with each charging provider. Service fees for micro transactions for $1-2 are't worth their time. They'd rather you load money onto a pre-paid card once to charge 20+ times for one transaction fee, or make it difficult for you.

Chargepoint: You re-fill your account $25-50 at a time from your CC. Stations are different prices, but at the end of the day you need an account to charge via App or Keychain RFID.

EVgo: Charge a lot? Sign up for a monthly plan to get a RFID card mailed to you tied to a card and get reduced pricing. Or you call a 1-800 number, hold for a rep for 10 minutes, give them the station ID, give them the credit card number, pay a higher fee and wait for it to activate (what I've done every time I've used an EVgo charger.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
When trying to figure out which car the Fisker may share bits with, always look at the windshield, the doors, and door glass. Those are some of the hardest things not to share.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
I'll put my hoof in my mouth if this happens. :popcorn:

Unless you've got some super secret knowledge, literally nobody is saying this.
I would be surprised if they did, and also surprised if they didn't. It makes sense, really.

·
Registered
11,726 Posts
Consider the idea of VW as a supplier of components and maybe that hoof will be easier to swallow.
I'll consider it, from a supplier perspective maaaybe... battery, ECU, drivetrain. But this is no ID.3-based vehicle. I would find it hard to believe that VW's internal platform-mates on the Audi, Lamborghini and Porsche side share more readily identifiable parts (Urus vs Q8, Seat el-born vs ID.3) and I can't ID any VAG parts on this thing. IMO, if this was a true partnership with Fisker, you'd have a warmed-over VW-bodied car a la Routons, Superas, Fiat 124s of the world and we would have heard about it awhile ago.

Fairaday hired a ton of Tesla, legacy OEM and Apple talent too and that didn't amount to a hill of beans.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I'll consider it, from a supplier perspective maaaybe... battery, ECU, drivetrain. But this is no ID.3-based vehicle. I would find it hard to believe that VW's internal platform-mates on the Audi, Lamborghini and Porsche side share more readily identifiable parts (Urus vs Q8, Seat el-born vs ID.3) and I can't ID any VAG parts on this thing. IMO, if this was a true partnership with Fisker, you'd have a warmed-over VW-bodied car a la Routons, Superas, Fiat 124s of the world and we would have heard about it awhile ago.
I absolutely never said it was ID.3 based. The MEB is far more basic than that. You seem to be assuming that Fisker would want to get components other than just the MEB platform from VW. There is nothing shown today below the Ocean lower door lines, so the drivetrain and battery and everything else is still publicly unknown. You’re looking for things above the platform to give you some VW hints, but everything up there is what Fisker wants to design. Remember, Henrik is first and foremost a designer, he also went through his Coachbuilding stage, and he learned his lesson last time around. He could get his internal components from any manufacturer, get his glass and hardware from any other manufacturer, seats from another, and still buy something drivetrain-oriented from VW, or Ford, or anybody below the beltline. This doesn’t have to look like a VW to run VW components, and for many reasons both parties may not want it to.

I’ll peek under the car on Thursday for you when I’m at CES.

I’ll wager you one bottle of hot sauce to make that hoof taste better.

·
Registered
46,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
I would care less on who's parts it is using than at where I could get it serviced. But I suppose that someone who owned a Fisker Karma isn't too worried about that. ;)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I would care less on who's parts it is using than at where I could get it serviced. But I suppose that someone who owned a Fisker Karma isn't too worried about that. ;)
You don’t get it serviced, It’s a subscription so they do that for you. If it’s not working, not sure if they’ll come pick it up, though. That’ll be interesting.

My Fisker Karma has been more reliable than almost any of my other cars. Since Dec 2011, 9 years now! 20,000 miles and still runs great. When I do need it serviced, I take it to Pat’s Garage in San Francisco and they have all the tools and trained techs. Easy.

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts
You don’t get it serviced, It’s a subscription so they do that for you. If it’s not working, not sure if they’ll come pick it up, though. That’ll be interesting.

My Fisker Karma has been more reliable than almost any of my other cars. Since Dec 2011, 9 years now! 20,000 miles and still runs great. When I do need it serviced, I take it to Pat’s Garage in San Francisco and they have all the tools and trained techs. Easy.
That's all fine and well, but what would one expect for daily driving? I do almost 20k a year. I'd strongly consider this to replace the Benz in a couple years, but... I dunno.

141 - 160 of 257 Posts