VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the planning stages of a 3.2 swap into my jetta.

I know there are very few differences in the vr in the Touareg and the R32.
The main difference is that the touareg doesn't have the threaded holes on the passenger side for the motor mount.
I can pick up a touareg 3.2 for under a grand easy where as a r32 or TT one is 2k+
Ive seen people mention drilling and tapping holes in the touareg block but has anyone actually done it?

I have a small machine shop so its nothing i cant do but i want to make sure its safe and there is enough material there before going thru and buying a motor/

Thanks for the help! :beer:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen a lot of these blocks and all have the bosses for the mk4 mount. I would love to see a pic of it not, as I suspect there is a big internet rumor here spread by less reputable folks to sell $$ r32 engines.
Thanks!
That helps a lot,I had only seen a few people say that but I was sure. I've found them for a quarter of the price of a r32 engine which makes the swap a lot more doable

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this is what you're up to .

A 3.2 longblock for under a grand?!?! Hook me up. The crank alone is worth that.

I get what you mean about the "R32" pricing. When I was shopping around for a 3.2 head, prices were much higher if it came from an R32. I ended up buying a 50k mile BUB from an EOS for cheap.
Yea looking thru junkyards you can find a complete 3.2 out of a Touareg for 800 and some even less. Most likely will need to do the timing chains but still will end up being way cheaper. I even was looking at 3.2 out of EOS, TT, A3, CC and everything was wayyy more. I contemplated a 3.6 for a little while as I found them out of a Touareg for under $1500

·
Registered
37,451 Posts
My engine was an 04 baa so that one has the mount boss and I have bought sold a few more with unknown codes and they all have had it.

You will need a 2.8/3.2 pan and pump as the treg pan is deeep. I used r32 rail injectors manifolds etc but only bc I had them from another motor.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My engine was an 04 baa so that one has the mount boss and I have bought sold a few more with unknown codes and they all have had it.

You will need a 2.8/3.2 pan and pump as the treg pan is deeep. I used r32 rail injectors manifolds etc but only bc I had them from another motor.
Thanks for the help, I didn't even think about that. I could use one of a 2.8 24v right?
I'm all new to VR's. I've only had 4 bangers and am sick of them.

Edit- you just said I could use a 2.8 pan

I heard the mk5 r33 pan is baffled, is that correct?

·
Registered
37,451 Posts
Here is a good picture of a Touareg 3.2 showing the bosses that need tapped as Paul mentioned.

Amazing. Looks like its all cast and ready to go. Just need some luck with the drill!

Wonder where the cutoff is or maybe factory reman or only part of the run...

It have the bolt bosses on the back for the mk3 mount on that block?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Amazing. Looks like its all cast and ready to go. Just need some luck with the drill!

Wonder where the cutoff is or maybe factory reman or only part of the run...

It have the bolt bosses on the back for the mk3 mount on that block?
Yes it does

It's on ebay. Not sure what year Touareg it came from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182127578525

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I used a touareg long block for my swap. cam gears and actuator valves were already setuo for MKIV. and my longblock was already tapped for the engine mount. i guess i lucked out. i was able to purchase the long block for 1500 only had 45k miles.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I used a touareg long block for my swap. cam gears and actuator valves were already setuo for MKIV. and my longblock was already tapped for the engine mount. i guess i lucked out. i was able to purchase the long block for 1500 only had 45k miles.

We might have to go back to the yard and pull / pick up that 3.2 from that Touareg sooner than later :beer:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys how did this ever work out.i hear we can use our 24v pan and valve cover and intake for swap..what year is cutoff for cam sensor difference..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts