VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way home tonite, i stopped to get gas and noticed that something had punctured my tire and there was a leak.
I then went to my trunk and grab a bottle of Fix-A-Flat as my only choice to be able to get home, i dont have a spare tire in my car.
I then used some of the fix a flat and the leak stopped thus allowing me to get home. Now i used these on 18" Michelen Pilot Sports, YR rated tires, when i got home i noticed that the bottle said do not use on "Z" rated or high performance tires.
I am planning on going to get my tire repaired tommoro, but did i do a bad thing? Should i have not used the fix a flat???

Modified by SHUMopper at 1:43 AM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Re: FIX-A-FLAT (SHUMopper)

Basically you had better tell them you put that fixaflat stuff in your tire. If they don't know that stuff is in there and they start working on the tire they will get gunk all over the place and be super pissed off at you. I'd just go in there and ask them what you think you should do, they may not be able to repair it with the gunk in there. Not sure though, good luck!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Re: FIX-A-FLAT (SHUMopper)

Quote, originally posted by SHUMopper »
On the way home tonite, i stopped to get gas and noticed that something had punctured my tire and there was a leak.
I then went to my trunk and grab a bottle of Fix-A-Flat as my only choice to be able to get home, i dont have a spare tire in my car.
I then used some of the fix a flat and the leak stopped thus allowing me to get home. Now i used these on 18" Michelen Pilot Sports, YR rated tires, when i got home i noticed that the bottle said do not use on "Z" rated or high performance tires.
I am planning on going to get my tire repaired tommoro, but did i do a bad thing? Should i have not used the fix a flat???

Modified by SHUMopper at 1:43 AM 2-14-2004

I suspect the caution is more about a damaged performance tire and the injection of a mild solvent. It's a damaged Z tire, not fit for Z performance. I doubt it, but it could soften and swell the tire interior, and it can also imbalance the tire as the fluid begins to tack and settle, and why one should promptly get the wheel turning to distribute the fluid and hasten the puncture sealing.
Oh, vwVortex moderators, you might want to delete my posting, because of what follows:
My tires chirped today as I shifted gears -- ooh, Vortex MG might be liable, delete this post!
My tach bounced against redline today -- ooh, Vortex MG might be liable, delete this post!
I exceeded the speed limit, and loved doing it. In fact, the vwVortex inspired me to do it because the moderators have their manager's strut up their cha cha.
Freaking vortex.

Modified by jhillyer at 1:07 AM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Re: FIX-A-FLAT (jhillyer)

good points on the fix-a-flat application usage,.must be the valentines day curse,.after coming out a resturant last night after dinner,got in her passat wagon and proceeded to drive away from the parking lot,vech. felt weird,thought it was engine hesitation at first,.anyway pulled into another parking lot (lit up),appx.100-200 ft. of driving on an unknown flat at first, tried to get the lugs loosened up ,but was only able to break 3 out of 5 "no good fricking air guns"
,so i had to use the fix-a-flat
, got a big pipe for leverage from my son who came to help, (stong 18 year old)put the spare on http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ,and went home ,took out the reinflated tire in my garage .after checking out the reinflated tire on the alloy wheel,dosnt seemed to be sidewall damaged on the outside,and couldnt find any sign of a puncture or debris in the tire,so i put it back on,no air loss overnight w/ vech weight on it ,or this morning,.are these fix-a-flats just a temporary emergency use item only
,and can that gunk be cleaned out,or is a new tire called for after that ?
any help appreciated,thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts