VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a number of posts in this forum about the high beams on non-HID Jettas being "too high" (aka "the squirrel hunting high beams").
There is a great new post over on TDIclub.com about how to correct this problem. (It turns out that the OEM high beams can be adjusted separately from the lowbeams.)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169800

Modified by TDI-4-RD at 4:28 PM 3-5-2007

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Fix for Squirrel Hunting High Beams -- Thanks to a TDIclub member (TDI-4-RD)

Good one!
I'll be working on that this weekend.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Re: Fix for Squirrel Hunting High Beams -- Thanks to a TDIclub member (Tim Birney)

Has anyone done this adjustment on HIDs. I enabled my Flash to pass lights to work with my HIDs when the brights are flicked on and I noticed that they are in squirrel hunting mode. I figure the adjustment is probably the same but I don't really know.
Pics for clicks

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
25,267 Posts
Re: Fix for Squirrel Hunting High Beams -- Thanks to a TDIclub member (TDI-4-RD)

I hunt squirrels, so I will be leaving mine alone...

J/k don't call PETA. Thanks for posting this. Gonna have to try it on Sunday.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: Fix for Squirrel Hunting High Beams -- Thanks to a TDIclub member (Mad_Max)

Quote, originally posted by Mad_Max »
That is very good write up.
It should be in the DYI section if TDIClub permits it.
Max

I'm sure it is on the TDIClub forum

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Re: (Dan GSR)

Quote, originally posted by Dan GSR »
yes, there is a similar bolt on the HID headlights

I have searched and searched. I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the adjustment screw for the HID portion of the light assembly. It looks like a hex head but if you look closely I think it is actually 5 sided. I realized this after trying 4mm 4.5 mm 5/32 and 3/16 sockets. Everthing was either too big or too small. The head having 5 sides explains it but I have no idea how to turn this thing now. Has anyone done this on a GTI with OEM HIDs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Re: (vw151)

you actually posted the same question I did. I opened a thread on TDICLUB but I never got an answer. I am still searching for one.
I kind of figured you'd need a 4mm combination wrench, but the smallest comb wrench I could find in the whole world starts at 6mm (Metric) or 1/4" (SAE).
I'm starting to think HID hi-beams cannot be adjusted and perhaps there is a reason for that which may be that normally, when HID comes OEM, it has bixenon bulbs which as you know does hi-beams by opening the shutters. Because lo-hi beams come from the same bulb, properly aiming the lo-beam will also aim the hi-beam.
The only problem I have with accepting this explanation is that I don't understand then what the other lamp, the real hi-beam in the halogen version of these headlights, is for. Just flash-to-pass? Additional hi"gher" beams? Dunno.
Still searching for an answer as to which tool would fit that little sucker.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Re: (lf06vwjtdi)

Hi,
Any updates to this regarding HID owners? I never really cared to look but I just had to replace one bulb, and when verifiying everything i realized that they are pointed up, WAY up.
I remember there was a recall recently regarding adjustment screws or something of the sort for GTI's here in Canada anyway... would this have changed anything?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Re: (lf06vwjtdi)

Quote, originally posted by lf06vwjtdi »
The only problem I have with accepting this explanation is that I don't understand then what the other lamp, the real hi-beam in the halogen version of these headlights, is for. Just flash-to-pass?

They're for flash-to-pass. Repeatedly striking the igniter/ballast on xenon lamps vastly shortens their lifetime, and as you are supposed to flash twice before passing, using the xenon lamps for this purpose would require excessive maintenance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.