VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Good move or bad move? FIAT announces that company is going all-electric starting in 2025.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
F39 X2 M35i, e-Tron, Toyota appliance
16,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Today, multiple European publications are reporting that Fiat boss Olivier Francois said that Fiat will become an EV-only brand.

Stellantis is talking a big game about its EV future. The new mashup of car brands initially made the claim that by 2030, 70% of Europe sales and 35% of U.S. sales will be of all-electric vehicles. Fiat going all-electric will help accomplish this goal.

“Between 2025 and 2030, our product lineup will gradually become electric only. This will be a radical change for Fiat,” Francois says

It’s tough to pinpoint exactly what that means for the U.S. market, as Fiat is only hanging on by a shred here. The only 2021 model year car it sells now is the 500X. Both the 500L and 124 Spider are listed on Fiat’s website, but both are 2020 model year vehicles that aren’t being renewed. The regular 500 is long gone, and there’s no indication that the redesigned electric-only 500 is on its way.

If the U.S. does get to enjoy Fiat’s electric future one day, it could very well be with totally new and different models than what we see now. The crossover-like 500X is the only model to make it through Fiat’s recent purging, so another small, electric crossover could make sense in the U.S. later this decade. Of course, that’s assuming Fiat keeps a foothold in America.

Francois provided a reasoning for announcing the switchover now.
“The decision to launch the new 500 – electric and electric alone – was actually taken before Covid-19,” Francois says. “Even then, we were already aware that the world could not take any more compromises. We were reminded of the urgency of taking action, of doing something for the planet Earth.”

We suspect Stellantis’ view on moving toward EVs heavily influenced the decision, too. Small EVs are all the rage these days in Europe, and Fiat’s lineup is packed full of small cars.
The next reasonable guess at a new Fiat EV would be a production version of the Centoventi Concept. It’s Fiat’s interpretation of an electric Panda, and Fiat says its theoretical range maxes out at 310 miles. Of course, that’s only a concept, and it was revealed far before Stellantis was formed. We’ll only know how this will play out in time, as Fiat gave itself nearly a decade to transition from gasoline to electric cars.
Autoblog

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
I think that will save them in Europe but not here. I'm sure Stellantis is reviewing dealership contracts now trying to figure out how to cheaply shut down.

·
Registered
1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2017 VW eGolf
7,497 Posts
When we leased a 2015 500e the electricification of it fixed all the problems with the ICE versions of the 500. It was a fun, reliable little car. The issue is that the US don't like small, fun cars so I don't see it doing well here. Which is unfortunate because they are fun little cars.

·
Banned
Gecko BoostBalls - Quattro Krautgeist
26,308 Posts

·
Banned
26,308 Posts
Polish_20210607_120220524.jpg

Reactions: RyanWalker33

·
Banned
26,308 Posts
I'm not sure that the 37 people in the US that bought a Fiat will care.
I heard a rumor that more than 1/2 of those were just "sold to dealer".

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
I think that will save them in Europe but not here. I'm sure Stellantis is reviewing dealership contracts now trying to figure out how to cheaply shut down.
I feel like anyone who started a Fiat dealer had to know the potential risks and will have to charge that to the game

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Goes in two directions
'14 RAV4Runner, '13 500 Abarth Pastabox, '20 Corolla Smurf Edition
3,653 Posts
half of 37 does not compute :p
I've bought three, so it evens out. :D

It's unfortunate, but Fiat will be one of the casualties (at least here in the States) when Stellantis puts the whole corporation up for review. This will not help them, nor am I a fan of this decision. That hand was already played when Fiat folded on offering the 3rd gen electric only 500 to us here in NA.

·
Premium Member
11,179 Posts
When we leased a 2015 500e the electricification of it fixed all the problems with the ICE versions of the 500. It was a fun, reliable little car. The issue is that the US don't like small, fun cars so I don't see it doing well here. Which is unfortunate because they are fun little cars.
I've rented a couple of gas 500s and really liked them both times. I wanted to buy one but the dealer wanted to play silly games so I ended up with a Fusion hybrid instead. They are fun little cars and I wouldn't mind one as a run-around as they get less expensive used.

·
Registered
34,878 Posts
Everyone is joining this full-on EV lineup bandwagon. Who's going to produce the electricity?

·
Banned
26,308 Posts
There are two important words before 1/2, but you are special and a good person!
:LOL: I want to hate this, but I just can't! 💕

We love you, you are special and warm!

Reactions: 3611519

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts
Heyo, ethnocentric Italian here (of the American variety) I would not trust an Italian automaker to lead the EV way to anything.

/psa off

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,422 Posts
Everyone is joining this full-on EV lineup bandwagon. Who's going to produce the electricity?
Are you serious? When the whole nation added air conditioning to homes, we were able to ramp up electricity production. When we added televisions to every room, we were able to meet electrical needs. It's been gone over before, in case you weren't paying attention, but making all the cars electric in the US, will barely require any additional power production, and it's actually easy to add the capacity, especially since, unlike AC use, EV charging is predominantly done at night, when plants are already ramped DOWN.

Here, watch this and pay attention:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Fun indeed, i commute daily in my 2017 500e, driving round trip of 74 miles each day it suits my needs perfectly. Ive put 20k miles so far on mine no issues whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts