VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Good move or bad move? FIAT announces that company is going all-electric starting in 2025.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ok tell me more. I have a Kona EV and want to pickup a second one for an around town commuter. Looks like I can pick up a 500e for like 10k cheaper than an eGolf.
There isn’t much to this car, it’s basically a gas fiat with a electric motor swapped in. It’s as basic as you can get there is no expensive tech feature at all. No forward collision sensor, no blind spot monitoring, no back up cam, no tech at all, this is kinda a equivalent to a 1960s beetle for the modern power train. Aside from minimal creature comfort like power windows, locks, mirrors, ac, heated seats, and a decent Alpine radio with a very basic navigation it’s quite bare. It may turn off some buyers who usually buy features rich cars but I love the barebones and honest goodness this car is, less crap to break. Only thing I wished for is ability to fast charging which is one thing this car doesn’t have, but being the battery is small 24Kw it doesn’t take long to charge anyway, one full charge gets me 100 honest miles and considering I drive more % on highway that’s good.

Reactions: G0to60

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
So what you're saying it's $10,000 less than a comparable-year eGolf cause of features and other than that, it's still a Fiat 500.

Sounds like a convincing argument to me!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
So what you're saying it's $10,000 less than a comparable-year eGolf cause of features and other than that, it's still a Fiat 500.

Sounds like a convincing argument to me!
Oh it’s still drives like a normal Fiat in fact it’s more of abarth because his car has such short Gearing 9.6 : 1 final drive It takes off like it has a lot more power than it has. The main thing I was paying attention to is the powertrain and the battery technology very few cars in this price point used actually has decent technology as far as battery management goes this one is battery cooled and heated something the leaf and e-golf lacks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think there was a Tesla driver in Austin that was charged $9,000 for charging his model S...have you hear about this?
There was a $9,000 per megawatt-hour cap in Texas, which was apparently reached during the February 2021 ice storm. Theoretically, according to one source, "with prices this high, charging up your Tesla increases from $18 on average to up to $900 per charge." But there were no examples of actual BEV owner fees. Here is the link with details:

41 - 44 of 44 Posts