VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2005 jetta with 2.5
I just rebuilt valve body in 09G transmission due to flared shifts in most all gears, really started acting up. I purchased Transgo kit, drilled larger holes in the seperator plates, and bored out solenoids with drill bit included. I have to say that allot of gunk came out of those solenoids, made me feel like I was fixing a problem! Of course I changed the fluid, filter, and leveled it off when hot and reset the adapts with obdeleven. I will also add that the transmission fluid when originally drained did not look that bad, did not smell burned and there were no particles in the pan, all looked OK.
Long story short, the car still shifts bad, flares, bumps, engages into drive harsh, and takes a few seconds, engages into reverse perfectly. Before the VB rebuild the car shifted ok when cold, once the car got hot shifted really bad. This seems to be the normal symptoms of bad solenoids.
My question is why does the transmission shift perfect when it gets hot now after rebuild and shifts bad until warmed up? Yes, that's the issue I'm now having, car has shift flares and engages harshly until it warms up, once hot the transmission really seems to start shifting perfect, like its learning and adapting. Then the next day it shifts bad until warmed up, the only isue that comes and goes whiles it's hot is first gear engagement still a bit harsh at times. Iv'e searched and have not found anything regarding this type of issue and was wondering if it could be bad motor / transmission mounts, torque converter, etc.. I did erase the codes in transmission before first adapt, and there has been no returning codes with transmission since. Getting ready to re'do the shift adaptation one more time and will post those results. I will also add I have driven the car for approximately 10 hours since VB rebuild in hopes problem will adapt itself, shifting through 6th and then allowing to slowly come to a stop over and over, also the park, neutral, drive with foot on brake. If anyone can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, fixed!!
The next day after original post above I did a relearn with obdeleven; nothing was different in the end, of course it went through the relearn and just went back to how it was prior. So I decided before buying a tranny, let's replace solenoids and see what happens. I wanted to replace solenoids to see if I could pinpoint the issue aside from an internal gear or torque converter issue. Even though I rebuilt and tested solenoids I thought this could be an issue due to the way the car was driving good when hot bad when cold. At least the car shifted well sometimes so that pointed me towards VB.
My original VB 2005.5 2.5 Jetta has the large body solenoids, I went to the salvage yard and pulled some small can / body solenoids out of a 2006 Jetta 2.5, same trans code. I took all solenoids, I think seven all together, sprayed them with carb cleaner and installed. Transmission shifted perfect from the get go, super stoked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you check the coils with a voltmeter as recommended in the kit?

That is interesting that you can replace the large can solenoids with the small can ones.
I also thought small can solenoids were only introduced sometime after 2007. Maybe your salvage car had already been updated under the VW trans VB defect warranty, who knows?

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK, fixed!!
The next day after original post above I did a relearn with obdeleven; nothing was different in the end, of course it went through the relearn and just went back to how it was prior. So I decided before buying a tranny, let's replace solenoids and see what happens. I wanted to replace solenoids to see if I could pinpoint the issue aside from an internal gear or torque converter issue. Even though I rebuilt and tested solenoids I thought this could be an issue due to the way the car was driving good when hot bad when cold. At least the car shifted well sometimes so that pointed me towards VB.
My original VB 2005.5 2.5 Jetta has the large body solenoids, I went to the salvage yard and pulled some small can / body solenoids out of a 2006 Jetta 2.5, same trans code. I took all solenoids, I think seven all together, sprayed them with carb cleaner and installed. Transmission shifted perfect from the get go, super stoked.
(*I know this is one year old but, thought i would post my question)

Hey Congrats on Fixing this Nightmare Tranny. I've heard nothing but problems and issues with this thing.

QUESTION(s):
-Where you able to change the Solenoids without dropping the Valve Body?
-Did you have to do any re-programing with a VAG tool (typically only dealers have these)?

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts