VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to fix a broken headlight adjusting tab? I am making a set of custom HID's for an MK4 Jetta and one of the adjusters is broken off the thread any ideas?
pics to clear any questions about what I am talking about.

Pic for fun

Modified by Royale5 at 7:42 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Re: Fixing broken headlight adjusters? (Royale5)

Nice job on my buddy Chris' headlights! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif About your question, check the other threads in the lighting forum. There was a thread going just the other day about fixing the adjusters. It had like 3 pages plus pics. Should be up on the first page still. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Re: Fixing broken headlight adjusters? (robin_lantigua)

I have a similar issue doing a similar mod to a different housing
I'll be using my plastic welder to fix it

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Fixing broken headlight adjusters? (VReihenmotor6)

well i dont have the broken end to fix it so i think i am going to get a screw with a round head that will fit in the socket and just screw it into the plastic that is still there.

·
Registered
500 Posts

sorry cant help ya bout that adjuster pice but that custom setup looks great... can u post up some night pics of the jetta with them on...

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Fixing broken headlight adjusters? (J4GirL)

Quote, originally posted by J4GirL »
can u post up some night pics of the jetta with them on...

They still are a work in progress. I am making them for someone else. I have a GTI with them in if you want to see pics of that just search my username. I will hopfully finish them completely this weekend. I will post more pics.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Both of the rear panel retention tabs on my headlights broke. I was able to fix them by making a small metal shunt/cast for the tabs and filling it with JB Quick Weld. (after thorough scruffing and cleaning of both the inside of the schunt and the broken tabs). They have held for almost a year and are noticeable stronger than stock. IM if you would like pictures/further info. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Re: Fixing broken headlight adjusters? (Dogdude222)

Well...the moral of this story is that plastic sucks *ss. If both of these tabs broke under normal use, then they are obviously under-engineered. I apologize for the crappiness of these pictures, but it was getting dark by the time that I got the camera, and I had to take close range photos.
Basically what I did to repair these stupid tabs is to texture and clean the plastic with some sandpaper/dremel tool and then fill a cut and molded to shape half of a small metal tube with some JB quick weld. I then positioned a spring clamp to push against something to hold the tab together (depending on the side) and stuck the cement filled shunt onto the broken tab. The right one broke again after the fix...and apparently again as I found when I went to take these pictures. The driver's side tab is still holding strong, but seems to have lost its metal shunt. I am not sure if these are even to what you are referring, but it might help.
Passenger side (with metal shunt, but broken again...and sideways view). The fix is below the high beam wire harness.:

Driver's side:

This fix required a lot of finesse and now multiple tries, but once you get JB weld to stick it will never break or let go. If you have any questions, just PM me or post up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Dogdude222 at 11:15 PM 6-9-2004

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

I am not sure how I can do any better, but I hope that the description helped some.

·
Registered
976 Posts

welp... I fixed mine... it wasn't pretty but it works, and it's nice and tight...
A while back, there was a long thread about how to mod / add the OEM instrument cluster rheostat for the 2003+ OEM HID lights...
Well after a long afternoon of trying to figure out the original schematics and all, i let my guard down after getting everything right, and I turned the "Styrofoam quality screw thread" counterclockwise instead of clockwise when wanting to reset the projectors for the HellaMotors/Dash Rheostat and sure as sh!t I broke the faggin screw.
Believe me, I tried everything... I got out the soldering gun and tried to meld the two parts together (the philipps head to the screw shaft) but it was futile...
Anyhoot, this is what I did I manually adjusted with my hand inside the headlamp assembly, the projector to the maximum up position and while holding it in place, I lay down (with my trusty rechargeable drill) ONE (1) phillips wood type screw down the perpendicular to the broken phillips head... in essence, locking the whole mechanism in place. I then used some JB weld to conceal the screw and make the headlamp assembly both water tight and factory looking. I now have a fully functional headlamp... since the max vertical up is just about enough with the Factory Euro rheostat set to max up...
I cheated a little further, if you will, and installed a couple of washers in between the car body and the back of the lower two Headlamp retaining screws, hence giving me a little more upward light (and now i can lower the Euro Rheostat to a safe level for street and city use, and take advantage of Night time back road use when necessary)...
let me know if this helps, might post picture if you need...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts