VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone ever got this issue. It is nothing major though it gets annoying.
When flashers are turned off, I can here the relay clicking intermittently. The dashboard arrows don't light up with the clicking and I couldn't ask someone the check if exterior lights goes on or not.
The issue happens when driving. Any surface, any speed.
It would often happen right after using the flashers.
The arm for flasher switch is sturdy and messing with it won't activate the clicking.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
yep, i have the same issue.
this didnt work for me, but a lot of people had good results by spraying electrical contact cleaner in the turn signal stalk area and moving it around. (when the car is off)
let that stuff dry out and voila no more issue.
but like i said has not worked for me, will be going to the dealer soon if i dont find another solution.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Common problem. Usually it's the hazard switch itself that needs replacing but in my car's case, it was the turn signal stalk causing the clicking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: Flasher relay clicking for nothing (denimboy)

Sorry, I know this may sound stupid, but you don't have the wipers on do you? For me it creates a much quieter clicking sound from the relay.

But good luck getting it resolved, that sounds obnoxious.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Flasher relay clicking for nothing (ZGamer123)

I hear wiper relay when it's on and this is not it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by denimboy »
I hear wiper relay when it's on and this is not it.

Okay, didn't think so, like I said, good luck

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
as you put it the "arm" at the base of it you should be able to get the straw from a can of contact cleaner in there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Re: (ginsy)

I had (still do due to lack of time) this issue. I made a thread on it a long time ago and actually discovered that you can get it fixed at the dealer-its a warranty issue because so many cars have the issue. SO... call your local dealer, make sure you qualify, and make an appointment... OR get a new relay.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Re: (blackvw0484)

My wiper relay kept clicking for a couple days once.
It turns out they weren't returning all the way down,
because of all the ice build up.
Might be a possible source of your sound.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
FV-QR

mine does this too just get a new hazard switch.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (blackvw0484)

Will call the local dealer. Thanks for the hint!
I understand it's the hazard switch. This makes sense because I hit that switch few days ago and it started right after that.

·
Registered
53,032 Posts
Re: (denimboy)

Quote, originally posted by denimboy »
Will call the local dealer. Thanks for the hint!....

Did you get the letter from VW on this?

·
Registered
475 Posts

Mine just started doing this as well the other week. It's totally intermittent, but signaling initiates a rapid clickfest. Hasn't done it for a few days now though.
Was going bonkers there for a bit.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

The random clicking noise is almost always due to a problem with the contacts in the turn signal switch (on the steering column). It 'leaks' voltage to the relay, which causes it to click.
You can have the switch replaced, or if you 'got mad skills' (or something like that) you can take the switch apart to clean and regrease the contacts. There's a nice how-to post about that somewhere.
The turn signal relay is part of the hazard switch in the center of the dash. Usually when this part goes bad, the signals will stop flashing after a few clicks.
The hazard switch was recalled on some cars, so there is an improved part out there. I know of a few cases where the hazard switch was replaced with the new part and the random clicking continued. It is cheap and easy to replace this part, though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Flasher relay clicking for nothing (ChrisM)

just want to make sure i understand, the turn signal switch is located into the hazard switch and the clicking is activated by turning the steering wheel.
So it's al about the hazard switch.
Should I spray contact cleaner into flash arm hole too?

·
Registered
71 Posts

i just had this problem about 3 weeks ago.. exact same problem. this is how i fixed it. I went to parts source got some contact cleaner, it comes with that skinny straw like WD-40 so i got it all ready then i signaled the right and i pushed the straw in the signal area and sprayed in there then i signaled the the left and did the same thing for the top, also flashed the lights and sprayed there too... after that it didnt keep clicking anymore.. Let me no if this works for you too... hope this helps

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

The turn signal switch is the stalk on the steering column. The turn signal relay/clicker is part of the hazard/4-way flasher switch, which is on the center of the dash.
Yes, the hazard switches have had some issues. When they go bad they completely stop flashing/clicking.
Random clicking is almost always due a problem with the switch on the column. Here's the write-up I saw recently:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=167831

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: Flasher relay clicking for nothing (ChrisM)

CRC electronics cleaner FTW! actually replacing the wiper stalk FTW otherwise it'll start clicking at you again like once a month to remind you to spray it again. The electronics cleaner is really only a temporary solution.....

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Re: Flasher relay clicking for nothing (mk4slow8v)

Quote, originally posted by mk4slow8v »
CRC electronics cleaner FTW! actually replacing the wiper stalk FTW otherwise it'll start clicking at you again like once a month to remind you to spray it again. The electronics cleaner is really only a temporary solution.....

+1
That clicking can be annoying. Especially when passengers always ask what it is. In my car, spraying contact cleaner into the turn signal stalk switch cleared up the problem for a couple months the first time and gradually less and less each time after that. Finally, it just didn't help at all, so I got the turn signal switch replaced. No more random clicking.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts