VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

So CEL had been on since I got it, but last week, the CEL would flash briefly for about 10secs and go away.

I know I shouldnt be driving it when it flashes but I gotta work.... I've noticed some shuddering when driving so I checked it for some codes and came back with the following:

16684 Random misfire detected
16689 Cylinder 5 misfire
16687 Cylinder 3 misfire

17524 Bank 1 sensor 1 circuit open
16524 Oxygen sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 2
17606 02 Sensor Heater circuit Bank1 Sensor 2- Electrical malfunction

the car would run perfectly smooth most times but every now and then I can feel the shudder in my seat, kind of worrying...

(I know I shouldnt be driving it when it flashes but I gotta work... :( )

Noticed its more of a problem when cold and wet, so could it actually be coils/sparkplugs?

Super poor right now cuz of school but dont want a dead car, any ideas on which approach to take and what part to fix first?

Please help!! Would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Sounds like you may have a cracked ignition coil pack and/or bad plug wires for the misfires. The O2 sensor could be damaged wiring or a faulty sensor itself. Also driving the vehicle with a flashing MIL due to hard misfires will result in damage to your cat converter setting a P0420 cat efficiency below threshold fault. You can remove the coil pack an inspect it for cracks, which is pretty common.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you may have a cracked ignition coil pack and/or bad plug wires for the misfires. The O2 sensor could be damaged wiring or a faulty sensor itself. Also driving the vehicle with a flashing MIL due to hard misfires will result in damage to your cat converter setting a P0420 cat efficiency below threshold fault. You can remove the coil pack an inspect it for cracks, which is pretty common.
Thanks!

I will take a look when daylight comes out tomorrow. I've been doing some researching on replacing coils. Its just popping off the cover on the engine and disconnecting them 1 by 1 to see which is faulty right? If there is a fault with my coils, would replacing it address most of the problem or is this a huge mess?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You had the faults as cyl 5 and cyl 3 misfires, so i assumed it was a VR6. What engine do have in the car? If its a 1.8t an easy test is to swap the coils to different cylinders and see if the misfire follows by re-scanning the ECU and checking the faults. Also check your spark plugs for condition/wear/gaping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You had the faults as cyl 5 and cyl 3 misfires, so i assumed it was a VR6. What engine do have in the car? If its a 1.8t an easy test is to swap the coils to different cylinders and see if the misfire follows by re-scanning the ECU and checking the faults. Also check your spark plugs for condition/wear/gaping.
You're right, its a 2000 VR6.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yes, the VR6 ignition system is completely different from the 1.8T. The 1.8T uses individual coil packs (coil on plug) where as the VR6 (2.8L) uses one coil pack assembly with 6 ignition wires. The coil pack is located on the drivers side of the engine, just follow the plug wires back. That is what you want to inspect for damage/cracks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I know near to nothing about cars ATM :(

Did you mean this area?

I also snapped a vid of the car, it sounds fine of course ATM....

[video]http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/setsunafray/media/VID_20150619_062908_zpsue6fjsxf.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0[/video]

also opened my fusebox to check and fuse #30 is missing? Would you know what it does?

Thanks so much for helping btw!

·
33,221 Posts
lol thanks

Not seeing any visible damage, where would I do the water spray test on the VR6 if suggested?

Also noticed this loose individual clip as pictured, is there supposed to be something there?

in the FAQ's is a DIY on the Coilpack repair. try that 1st

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The clip goes on the end of the hose off the air intake tube. Also clean that engine bay...

sent from my Atrix HD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The clip goes on the end of the hose off the air intake tube. Also clean that engine bay...

sent from my Atrix HD
:)

dumb question but is it an issue that the clip is off? (Sorry dont know anything about cars)

I asked around and most people tell me to try replacing the o2 sensors for starters since when I accelerate, the RPM meter dips just by a click every now and then when going from 0-60km and there is a loss of power.
Thats the only time the CEL flashes for 10secs or so and I feel the odd shudder. Then the car runs fine.

PS: its still safe to drive right? i need it to commute to work. Don't want to stress out and damage other parts.

Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Flashing CEL is for misfires, check out your spark plugs and coil pack for cracks. How many miles are on the current plugs? Also you don't have to put that clamp back but its easy to do so why not

sent from my Atrix HD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So....

Got some advice around saying I should first try replacing my o2 sensors.

The fuel economy has gone down dramatically so I was wondering which would solve the problem? Bank 1 Sensor 1 or Bank 1 Sensor 2? I'm guessing Sensor 1 is before the CAT and Sensor 2 is after... but Im not sure which one does what. Do both effect fuel consumption?

All my error codes were for Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 so I'm guessing I could just replace that one right?

Sorry Im a total idiot when it comes to car :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.