VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to get all my windows (or at least all the rear windows) made of a lighter material. The flex-a-lite stuff sounds great (especially because scratches can apparently be buffed out).
Anyone had any experience with flex-a-lite products?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Flex-a-Lite windows? (schleppy)

Ok, how about this....
Does anyone have ANY experience with any type of light window replacement (NOT Lexan, if that scratches it's all over, and that deteriorates in sunlight).

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

Sean, I recently saw an "Imports" show on Speedvision, and one of the products profiled was the Flex-a-Lite window. The Flex-a-Lite looked extremely light and well built but maybe a little pricey.
My only experience is with Lexan windows on the race Wabbit. All of my windows (windshield, quarters, and rear hatch) were fabricated from Lexan. And yes, Lexan does scratch easily. Regards, WWR.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: Flex-a-Lite windows? (WackyWabbitRacer)

Is Lexan the same as Plexiglas, I am interested in doing this same mod? Who sells Flex-a-lite?
James.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Flex-a-Lite windows? (A1Rocco)

Nope, Lexan is totally different than Plexiglass....different materials but look about the same. Lexan can be coated to prevent scratches.
Think that Flex-a-Lite has a website with the same name?? At least this is what the Flex-a-Lite rep said on the Speedvision show.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: Flex-a-Lite windows? (WackyWabbitRacer)

This is just a thought, but, could you use the ClearBra material over the lexan to help protect from scratching? or not even the ClearBra stuff, just clear vinyl.
Polycarbonite might be heavier than lexian or plexi. Its been 12 years since I worked in the sign business and was familiar with all this stuff.
Back then we used a plexi that was dark during the day and at night with light it would turn white. some pretty cool material. I'm sure they have lots of new goodies these days.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts

I have done several cnc machining cutting of windows for racing and street cars, this is the different ones I used
Lexan (polycarbonate) pros. does not brake easy cons. expensive, scratches easy it becomes yellow
Plexiglass (acrilyc) pros. does not scratch as bad as poly does not yellow, it can be buffed easy, cheaper than poly, cons. breaks easy, it deforms under extreme heat.
High Impact Plastic (HIP) pros, does not yellow, won't scratch as bad as poly, does not break easy, it can be buffed, good thermal stability, cons a little more expensive than plex, but cheaper than lexan.
side windows are about 35.00 the back is like 75.00 I would not recomend for windshield unless you are race only and planing to rivet it, because won't work with original seal.
Steve

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Flex-a-Lite windows? (jetta8vwolfsburg)

Jetta8vwolfsburg, are those prices of Flex-a-Lite? On their site they list rabbits as one of the cars they make rear windows for...
And I do not want to replace my windshield, this car is going to be a weekend fun car, so I kind of want to keep some aspects of a normal car in it (though not many). That is why the Flex-a-Lite seemed like a good alternative, it was lighter than glass but didn't seem to have as many downsides as Lexan or glass...
Any more info?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts