VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 91 Golf GL has developed a "flickering" issue seen in the light especially at idle. This has developed over the last month or so.
I pulled the altenator(only 6 months old) and took it to the parts store to have tested and it passed without any issues so they would not exchange it.
The flickering can be seen via the headlights, parking lights and interior dome light. Even with no accessories turned on, the dome light still shows the flicker. I thru my volt meter across the battery and it reads 14.5 volts whether at idle or anywhere above idle. I thought this was too high and maybe the voltage reg was starting to go bad.
The battery cables are new and I cleaned all the underhood grounding points yesterday to try and help the issue, no change.
What else should I look at or is this normal?

Modified by MtDew at 7:28 AM 10-31-2007

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Re: Flickering lights (VW Tuna)

Try getting your battery load tested, I had a cell go bad in one of my cars and it acted like that, thought it was the alt, turned out to be the battery. Most auto parts stores will do it for free with the battery in the car.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Re: Flickering lights (jkmackenzie)

Quote, originally posted by jkmackenzie »

x2

or brushes, or both.
Luckily they come in the same package !
However, when you pull the brushes/voltage regulator have a long hard look at the communtator... if it has grooves worn in it don't waste your money any further... pull the alternator and replace.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Flickering lights (Vincent Waldon)

Quote, originally posted by Vincent Waldon »

or brushes, or both.
Luckily they come in the same package !
However, when you pull the brushes/voltage regulator have a long hard look at the communtator... if it has grooves worn in it don't waste your money any further... pull the alternator and replace.

I Too was thinking voltage regulator. But I removed the 6 month old altenator and took it back to the auto parts store. They will not exchange it unless it tests bad on their machine. I tried to state my point about the warranty but wasn't successful. They said it fell within spec. for output voltage and amperage.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by VW Tuna »
Just because you get good voltage doesn't mean the regulator is good. You do realize you can change the regulator without swapping the alternator right?

Yes I understand, but why would I put more money into it if it should be covered under warranty. I thought a lifetime warranty should cover all that.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
what kind of multimeter were you using, a digital one might not be quick enough to catch a pulsing voltage, and analogue one would show it better, or a test light direct to the battery terminals, if the light flickers then you know its not a main wiring issue, though it could still be a bettery wiring problem.
Take all the battery, starter & alternator wiring off the car, clean em up with sandpaper till shiny then refit. If that doesn't help then I'd say its the volt reg or battery as already said multiple trimes

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (rubjonny)

Quote, originally posted by rubjonny »
what kind of multimeter were you using, a digital one might not be quick enough to catch a pulsing voltage, and analogue one would show it better, or a test light direct to the battery terminals, if the light flickers then you know its not a main wiring issue, though it could still be a bettery wiring problem.
Take all the battery, starter & alternator wiring off the car, clean em up with sandpaper till shiny then refit. If that doesn't help then I'd say its the volt reg or battery as already said multiple trimes

I checked the voltage with both a digital and analog volt meter.
I have already taken all cables and cleaned the ends and their respective mating surfaces. No change.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
if there is no pulsing evident at the battery then this suggests the problem may be within the loom somewhere, but I can't think of any reason this would happen myself, maybe look at all the earths under the dash???

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (rubjonny)

I noticed a slight pulse in the voltage at the battery that is why I targeted the Altenator/Voltage reg. But the parts store claims they don't see an issue when they connect to their bench test machine. I removed the altenator that I bought from them less than 6 months ago and carried it in.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VW Tuna »
voltage regulator.

unquestionably, undoubtedly, its the voltage regulator....i know from experience...make sure you buy the $30 Bosch regulator, not the $10 aftermarket one...again, i know this from experience http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.