VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I come to a stop after the car has been driving for 25 minutes plus, the oil light on the cluster starts to flicker. When I'm driving, it does not do it at all. Only when I am at a stop. When I start driving again, it doesn't flicker at all. Any help to what it is? THanks in advance

· Registered
172 Posts
Re: Flickering Oil Light...any suggestions (golf3737)

Put a mechanical guage on it to see where you really stand. From the symptoms, I suspect you're seeing the effects of wide bearing clearances from worn bearings from an old engine.
You can ignore it, you can run thicker oil, but eventually you're going to need to rebuild it. If you're only seeing it when hot, you have a LONG time potentially before it becomes really serious.

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Flickering Oil Light...any suggestions (antichristonwheels)

It can't be the pickup screen. I just replaced the pan and the windage tray, and cleaned that out entirely...

· Registered
172 Posts

On the top of the oil filter housing and/or on the side of the head. (Most 16Vs have two, IIRC.)
The suggestion to put a mechanical guage on it ($20 or so from a parts store) is to eliminate the possibility that it's the sender and to get a more likely to be accurate reading.

· Registered
375 Posts

At 109K it should have tons of life left. So unless it has been abused (antifreeze in oil etc.) it should not be a bearing clearance issue. Try the pressure gauge test to verify actual oil pressure and go from there.

· Registered
680 Posts
Re: (golf3737)

Don't forget about the TSB from VW not to use Fram style filters. We have seen a few vehicles come in with the same problem and a Mahle oil filter fixed it. VW says to check/replace the filter if needed and install new sensors as first step.

· Registered
749 Posts
Re: (EuroMKII)

SO you rpart list is as follows:
myale oil filter
oil pressure switch( hi and lo) ones black other is white.
get a new pan gasket( NEVER USE LIQUID GASKET)
and clean the screen out. never hurts to do like a 30min fix. I have the same problem and Im waiting on my parts to come in. $35 + shippping done!!
oil( 20-50)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.