VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I figured I’d start off this project thread buy writing a little history about my car and update it with as many photos as I can to get it up to speed. (Posts #2 and #3)

As I get started, I have to absolutely thank my very good friend and the true mechanical genius behind this build. Without his years of knowledge, help and expertise this would not be happening. Brandon Grantham from Kleemann USA in Colorado Springs is without a doubt the (we) that I speak of throughout these posts. He is doing 100% of the wrenching and building as I’m gone 240+ days for work and would never be able to get this finished.

I originally purchased my GTI from a fellow forum member back in 2009. The car has resided in Northern California and the member that I purchased it from was the second owner. At the time I lived in New Mexico, so after the purchase I arraigned to have ti transported out to me. When I received the car it was in need of some TLC as it had a few coolant leaks, needed new brakes and suspension. As I was freshly retired from active duty I had some time to order and get all fo that replaced.

In 2013, I moved from New Mexico to Colorado, so of course the car needed to go with me. So I borrowed a friends truck, rented a trailer and towed the car a associated parts, gear and other things up to my new residence in Colorado.

After a few years of apartment living we (Wife and I) were finally ready to build a new house that would give both of use everything we wanted. I wanted a big garage, and thats what I got!

I realized that as time went on, and the more I drove the GTI at altitude (6700ft) I was going to need to do something that would allow me to have some real fun with the car. Have a very good friend that is an amazing mechanical genius and true VW enthusiast helped to spur on the plans.

On 20 June 2019, I made the first of many purchases which was a very large treasure trove of NOS Volkswagen parts that had been collected by a gentleman for use on a project that he decided to no longer attempt to finish. His loss has absolutely been my gain as you’ll see with some of the later posts.

After a lot of discussions and consideration for what we could do, the choice was made to build #project83GTIG60 which is where we are today.

The decision was made to move forward with doing a straight forward VW OEM 1.8L G60 build to replace the factory 1.8L NA motor thats been in the car since it rolled off the factory line in Pennsylvania back in 1983.

Why did we choose this over the many other options that are out now and seem to be so much more popular? Well, that’s because it’s an amazing powertrain when built and properly tuned and well it sounds awesome when it’s sitting at idol! But seriously, the choice was made as it’s is one of the most underrated motors that VW produced, and we had access to a NOS parts pile that was 20+ years in the making for pennies on the dollar.

With the decision made and the 7+ huge bins of NOS parts purchased we got to work on ordering and collecting the additional things we didn’t have.

The biggest thing we needed was a good factory block to start off with as a base. While the parts stash we purchased had a full motor in it, the block was trash internally. I was lucky enough to find another full motor in town that would work. So we got to stripping it down and sending it off to be machined.

In addition, I also purchased a new (used) head that would be cleaned, machined and rebuilt to ensure that we have a completely flat mating surface.

Once we got the big parts back from the machine shop, it was time to start the reassembly process. This is where we added some time by getting down to the nitty-gritty and doing a full blueprint of the rotating mass of the motor.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
(Continued from Post #1)

As we got the bottom end of the motor further along, it was time to start to focus on the top of the powertrain. So began the next part of this build. I had previously ordered a 4 to 1 exhaust header from Heritage Parts UK, so as we got the head machined and rebuilt we did a little port matching to remove some of that extra material and open things up a little. Now please understand that the photos here are not the finished product, they are only what I have been sent over time. There was some final smoothing of edges that needed to be done and was done after these were taken.

You may also be asking yourself about the true heart of this motor, the G60 Supercharger that will be the center of it’s ability to produce the power once it’s all put back together. Well, I have one of those and it’s already been out to the great folks at BBM in Washington for a full rebuild. The unit we had was a part of the total parts package we purchased, however the number of miles on it was unknown as was it’s condition. Well, it wasn’t in great shape and required some extra love and care from BBM during the rebuild.

There were a few more key parts to this build that needed to be ordered early on so that we would be sure to have them ready when the time came. The first was the new stainless-steel header from Heritage Parts UK. While I know that there are other versions of this part, I figured I’d buy it from the guys that made them first.

Another of the key items to this build is the ability to convert the power made by the new motor into the ability to produce true forward momentum. At some point I will update this specific post with the exact gearing, however for now I will tell you that I reached out to the amazing folks at German Transaxle in Bend, Oregon who built me a fully spec’d transmission that included new Peloquin LSDs and gearing that will allow this little GTI to hit 147mph with more to spare.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
This looks like it's going to be a great build. Not that I wish you any ill will, but Seomobster had some serious bad luck with his charger. We are all pulling for you on this one. BBM is in my neck of the woods again.

I would take care of that manual transmission gasket that is poking out. I usually use a small X-Acto knife and a fine fiber disc.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Yah...

I'm thinking the scroll got hot when the oil feed line sprung a leak, wasn't getting full oil pressure. Causing it to become brittle. (year before the charger rebuild)
then when trying to add some clearance between apex seal walls, it caused a fracture. Then it spat out chunks of the scroll.
$1,000 down the drain, and another $500 just to get a used charger.

Really hard life lesson to learn, but so few people know anything about these chargers.
foresight is a bitch.

btw mystery garage on youtube is working on a 16v g60 cabby as well. Should get some good info out of him learning.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He does a lot of traveling for work iirc.
You remember correctly, I’m on the road 240+ days a year for work (where I’m at now). I need to scroll through what I’ve posted above and continue in thread #2 and #3 with where the car sits now. I know that Brandon and I talked and the car was set aside while he had a couple of large jobs in the shop that were absolutely paying his bills. He also gets busy during Pikes Peak and throughout the Summer with a multitude of Porsche track cars. We should be getting ready to start the final assembly of items hanging off the longblock as well as about to get it finally mounted back in the car.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This looks like it's going to be a great build. Not that I wish you any ill will, but Seomobster had some serious bad luck with his charger. We are all pulling for you on this one. BBM is in my neck of the woods again.

I would take care of that manual transmission gasket that is poking out. I usually use a small X-Acto knife and a fine fiber disc.
Still lots to do with everything as we ready it to be put back in the car, I can assure you that will be addressed. 👍🏻

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
You are lucky europe is full of so many g60 builders. Why did you ship all the way to BBM? So many other good options. J/w. I mean no disrespect to Andrew and the other employees there. They do good work.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are lucky europe is full of so many g60 builders. Why did you ship all the way to BBM? So many other good options. J/w. I mean no disrespect to Andrew and the other employees there. They do good work.
I live in the US…they were the easiest and quickest option for me when we started this process.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like your style - cant wait to see what you do with the g60 project.
Appreciate that, it’s been sitting in limbo at the builders shop as he works through some big Mercedes’ and Porsche projects that keep food on his table and the shop lights on.

I’m hoping that within the next 30-45 days it will finally be up on the lift to get the motor/trans fitted back in the bay and the tuning started.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts