VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have an account here but i have forgotten the login.
I have a 1985 Golf Diesel that has been in my family since it was brand new, It had a large rust hole in the floor board and the interior was ruined from lots of water leaking in. I've already repaired the floor enough to get it through inspection and replaced the torn vapor seal as well as the cracked rain tray cover(upgraded to one of the thick plastic ones.) the problem is that i still have lots of water coming in when it rains, The rain tray drains are clear, and the windshield is sealed up tight. Where could this water be coming from? It isn't the heater core since that is bypassed(That s getting taken care of in the next month, the local VW dealer agreed to replace the core as well as blower motor that went tits up when the core went under recall)
Any ideas where this water intrusion is coming from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: floor is soaked, vapor seals and plastic rain protector are fine (prasina2)

both sides, It seems to get worse when I am driving. No sunroof(not a single option at all actually, not even a radio)

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
Re: FV-QR (himself111)

have you checked the 2 drainholes located on either side of the raintray metal? even if the raintray plastic is functioning properly(directing water away from the center of the raintray), there is a good chance the passenger drain is plugged causing water to drip in through the heather box fresh air intake. hope this helps

·
Registered
39,344 Posts
Re: FV-QR (dubweiser1)

Check the seals for the tail lights. When they leak, the water runs down the main rear wire harness into the backseat floor area of the car. If there is enough water, it will travel to the front as well.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
sun roof for sure. I could figure it out till i hit the brakes one day after washing the car and a stream of water landed in my lap! It seems that whn ever I hit the brakes the water moved forward and when I accelerated it went back and leaked all over the rear seats and floor!
.02!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: FV-QR (VegasJetta)

Quote, originally posted by VegasJetta »
Check the seals for the tail lights. When they leak, the water runs down the main rear wire harness into the backseat floor area of the car. If there is enough water, it will travel to the front as well.

I'll have to check this, This would also explain why my my fuse block caught fire around the number 2 fuse(gauge cluster/tail lamp indicators)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Re: FV-QR (himself111)

Quote, originally posted by himself111 »
i have been having the same problems, for some reason my rear floors have been filing up with a lot of water lately, still cant find the leak,

Same here. It really does suck!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.