VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
10,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't make this kind of Volkswag-foolery up. Today We had the car scheduled to go in for a less than eager power liftgate problem (thing was going back up instead of closing). That issue seemed to resolve itself so I called to cancel our appointment.
Apparently, I forgot what kind of car I was dealing with here.
On my way to breakfast, I approached a lady in a van that had to almost stop at every side street. Obviously, that was frustrating. Luckily, it was a 2 lane road in my direction so I floored it in a moment of slight rage to go around her.
Now the 2.0T mated to a 6-speed auto isn't like a GTR in terms of power output, but I figured I'd be able to both overtake the woman and pound my chest (so to speak)with a noisy fly-by.
Neither of these happened.
Well, one kinda did.
When the tranny downshifted into 1st (about 15 mph) I heard a VERY LOUD metallic POP and then LOTS and LOTS of leaky exhaust. It reminded me of most 25-year old junkers you see polluting the road...except is was a 2-year old Euro-variant.
I'm sure during the drive to the dealer more than a few heads were turned and could not understand why a car like this...

could sound like a rusted out bucket.
Anyways, this VW has earned a TCL award for biggest POS that I still love.

· Registered
3,570 Posts
Re: Floored the Passat and the downshift ripped the cat in two!!! (VTECeateR)

Quote, originally posted by VTECeateR »
When the tranny downshifted into 1st (about 15 mph) I heard a VERY LOUD metallic POP and then LOTS and LOTS of leaky exhaust. It reminded me of most 25-year old junkers you see polluting the road...except is was a 2-year old Euro-variant.

There isn't much room for mechanical forgiveness with 1st-gear WOT downshifts... auto or manual...

I can only imagine watching the engine buck violently front-to-back-to-front while the exhaust lets go somewhere in the middle.

But on the bright side, it's perfect timing for a chip/downpipe/cats/exhaust upgrade
you'll get better mileage, really!

· Registered
13,133 Posts
Re: (forewheel)

Quote, originally posted by forewheel »
Just imagine what would have happened if it was a 1.8T??

the earth would have ceased to exist. try not to joke about such things...

· Banned
19,661 Posts
Re: (forewheel)

Quote, originally posted by forewheel »
Just imagine what would have happened if it was a 1.8T??

1.8T has it's share of cat failures, especially at the Cat/Turbo flange there....happened to me at around 90k miles (cat was on the way out ANYWAYS, and some of the things I've done to the car REALLY made it worst.
But this soon?
as if the fugly design wasn't enough on current day VW.

· Registered
10,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (JustinCSVT)

Quote, originally posted by JustinCSVT »
That's power of the 2.0T. The exhaust from the high engine speeds created a small nuclear explosion. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more. Must be the German engineering.

My handy TCL-approved sarcasm-o-meter is broken....
My guess is that's exactly what happened....that plus the jerking engine.

· Premium Member
15,228 Posts
Re: (JustinCSVT)

Quote, originally posted by JustinCSVT »
That's power of the 2.0T. The exhaust from the high engine speeds created a small nuclear explosion. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more. Must be the German engineering.

Sig of the week.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
Re: (mkIVrflxsilver)

Quote, originally posted by mkIVrflxsilver »
what really happened was that you hit a crub. and maybe 2 fents.

And IV brick?

Seriously. Sounds like it's time for some more solid motor mounts? I wouldn't think the motor should have enough play in it to snap the exhaust like that. Especially in a 2 year old car

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.