VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I replace the centre section of my exhaust with a mandrel bent pipe (after BVH/VGI/268s)

My CCH/BVH and VGI arrives in a couple of weeks. While getting the mods done to my car, my mechanic has suggested I remove the centre section of the exhaust and replace it with a mandrel bent pipe.
His motivation for recommending it is not power gains, but weight loss. He says that weight reduction is good for handling, acceleration and fuel economy.
I'm sorely tempted to do it, but I don't want to do it if it means that the car becomes so loud that it's uncomfortable. I've got a Scorpion exhaust at the moment and the sound is terrific. I love it. A bit or even quite a bit more VR sound would be good, but I don't want to go so far in the other direction that it becomes embarrassing.
The costs is next to nothing $350AUD. That's about $US200.
I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Re: Should I replace the centre section of my exhaust with a mandrel bent pipe (mdt)

If you are getting the bvh, and I assume you have the cams/software to boot, you should get the best proven catback, TT 2.5" SS with your choice of muffle,r personally I suggest Borla. And if you dont have to get inspected, Tst pipe form Turn2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Re: Should I replace the centre section of my exhaust with a mandrel bent pipe (mdt)

That's WAY too much money for that modification. $75 tops.

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Should I replace the centre section of my exhaust with a mandrel bent pipe (GTIVR6RACER4EVER)

If I had my time again, I would get a TT for sure. However, I don't want to spend the money on a new exhaust so I will have to stay with the Scorpion.
As for removing the cat, I won't do that as I like to see myself as environmentally responsible.
However, my real green friends won't forgive me for being a petrol head.
I had a drive of a hybrid (half battery/half petrol) Prius one night. It was very interesting. At one point, we were gliding up this hill past these guys by the side of the road and they just couldn't believe it. The car didn't make the slightest bit of sound.

When they asked me what I thought of it I told them it was short a hundred kw. They haven't spoken to me since.

Modified by mdt at 12:40 AM 7-4-2003

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Should I replace the centre section of my exhaust with a mandrel bent pipe (Marty)

Quote, originally posted by Marty »
That's WAY too much money for that modification. $75 tops.

Okay, but put the money question to one side Marty. That doesn't really worry me. What about the noise v performance question?

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Re: Should I replace the centre section of my exhaust with a mandrel bent pipe (GTIVR6RACER4EVER)

I would do it...but I would get a custom exhaust bent of 2 1/4" or bigger. It's probably cheaper than ordering one from overseas considering shipping and all.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Re: Should I replace the centre section of my exhaust with a mandrel bent pipe (FatSean)

Why custom? Get it from a company that put R&D into it, TT is the way to go, proven again and again time after time http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote, originally posted by GTIVR6RACER4EVER »
Why custom? Get it from a company that put R&D into it, TT is the way to go, proven again and again time after time http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Last time I checked, the TT system for my car was U$425. Add to that shipping, GST and local import taxes in Australia, that will be about $600. That's U$400 more than I would pay for the custom pipe. For a 3/4 hp that's just too much money. I would prefer to spend it on getting the car dyno tuned.
I take your point about the TT being the one to go for. If only I knew that before I bought my Scorpion.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts

I have one already made for sale... you want to buy it?
Let me just make sure it is still over at the shop, came off Joe's car.
Yes, it will help you and is a great "low dollar" mod to work with, car sounds nice, tighter exhaust tone.
If you are not happy with the sound or for some odd reason you think it is loud the best thing to do is to get a straight thru turbo muffler/resonator and section it into that pipe. You know, the cheapy ones at like part store chains. They are light, they flow and they will cut the sound down a bit.
Bill

Modified by billyVR6 at 9:36 PM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Should I replace the centre section of my exhaust with a mandrel bent pipe (billyVR6)

Is it just the centre section? Would it fit a 94 Mk III Golf? Cheers Billy,

·
Registered
9,868 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mdt »
Is it just the centre section? Would it fit a 94 Mk III Golf? Cheers Billy,

Yes, it fits... this replaces the big ass suitcase muffler... pipe starts at the rear beam and goes to right before the muffler.
Vtex IM Joe (ricers-beware) if you are interested. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts