VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I went on and bought a Fluidampr along with the special tools for my GLI last week. I decided to do a video of the installation and then a brief review of my impressions on how the car feels with the Fluidampr installed.

Based on my experience this installation is light to medium in difficulty, it really went flawlessly and took me about 2 hours. Along with the damper installation I also swapped the stock turbo pipes with Spulen throttle and outlet pipes. As explained in the video the biggest improvement I saw with the Fluidampr is engine smoothness, it feels absolutely sweet all throughout the rev range. I did also feel a slight bump in power between 4K-6K rpms but since I also installed the turbo pipes I can't say how big of an improvement it was from being totally stock.

The hardest parts:
1) Raising the car enough to be able to use the counterhold tool (T10533) which is very long and allows you to hold the damper while you are loosening or tightening the crankshaft bolt with the wrench.
2) Keeping the damper aligned to the TDC mark and correctly seated on the timing chain sprocket while removing the stock damper, and while torquing the Fluidampr in place. This is were tool T10531 comes in handy but only worked during the removal of the stock damper...see next section.

More on Tool 10531:
Note that the tool holder only works with the stock damper, IT WILL NOT FIT THE Fluidampr!!!! since the inner damper flange is smaller than that of the stock damper (see video for more details). The good news though is that you can get away doing the swap without the need for tool T10531 at all. You should be good as long as you make sure that the damper stays aligned with the timing mark AND is seated correctly on the timing chain sprocket, both during the removal of the stock damper and the installation of the Fluidampr.

Main takeaways:
1) Upgrade improves engine smoothness and longevity, specially if you are planning doing mods. I really enjoy the smoothness while driving around town and just for that I would recommend this upgrade.
2) You don't necessarily need the expensive damper removal tool (T10531) to do this job.
3) You need to be creative and safe when raising the car enough to allow for the counterholder tool to fit. Not so easy when all you have is jack stands.

I hope this helps anyone in the community considering to do this upgrade.

Fluidampr Installation and Review Video Link:
https://youtu.be/03Um10zplLY

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good to know that the special tool is only needed for the pulley removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you hold the Fluidamp pulley so it wouldnt spin when you were torquing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I used the counterhold tool for that. The trick is to tighten the crank bolt with a normal wrench while holding the pulley firmly with the other hand, making sure it stays seated correctly. Once you have it tight enough so that it doesn't wiggle or move anymore then you use the counterhold tool along with a torque wrench. As long as you keep it firm and seated while tightening with the normal wrench you should be good, after that you just have to make sure the timing marks stay aligned.

Here is a link to the counterhold tool.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/counterhold-vibration-damper/t10355a~oev/

·
Registered
83 Posts
What a discovery! Read some great reviews on the GTI thread about this too. Definitely what I need “so I don’t die a little inside every time I get inside another car with OEM performance” similar to my boosted GLI..... Ordering it this week, thanks for the write up!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a discovery! Read some great reviews on the GTI thread about this too. Definitely what I need so I don’t die little inside every time I get inside another car with OEM performance similar to my boosted GLI..... Ordering it this week, thanks for the write up!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bro...what grade are you in? Elementary?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts