VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on flushing my brake system on my 01' Jetta 1.8t. I've been surfing the net for info on a special procedures (if any) that I may have to do with the ABS unit. If anybody has performed this procedure, some input would be nice.
Oh yea, I also purchased some steel brake lines front/back. I only got four lines plus nuts/bolts, and the kit (from neuspeed) said that the rear lines only replace the rubber line running from the solid axle, is this accurate or did i get the wrong kit? Thanks

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Re: Flushing Brake system, any special tricks/tips/procedure? (vicerah)

You should not have any difficulties changing the brake fluid. The ABS does not pose a problem since it doesn't have its own reservoir, unlike some cars. Just follow the normal procedure for changing fluid as a non-ABS car and you should be fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Flushing Brake system, any special tricks/tips/procedure? (simplyredvw)

That's what i was hoping to hear, Thanks! The job should go fairly quickly with the vaccum bleeder i bought.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

If you have a manual transmission, you might want to get that fluid flushed while you are it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I had my tranny fluid flushed 5k ago when I replaced my clutch/pressure plate/fly wheel. I love my new setup, VRS clutch/plate, G60 Supercharged corrado fly wheel. Sooooo much smoother.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

I was talking about the brake fluid used in the clutch hydraulics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is the fluid shared with the brake system or is it seperate?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

The fluid is shared with the system. You should be able to flush it out by the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

Quote, originally posted by simplyredvw »
The fluid is shared with the system. You should be able to flush it out by the slave cylinder.

Umm, hate to break it to you, but the clutch system and brake systems are completly seperate. They are NOT shared in any way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Flushing Brake system, any special tricks/tips/procedure? (Mark4VR6)

Ok, so no go on flushing the clutch system at the same time...gotcha

·
Registered
33,981 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Mark4VR6 »
Umm, hate to break it to you, but the clutch system and brake systems are completly seperate. They are NOT shared in any way.

OK, you know more than the bentley and VW tech....There is a bleeder valve and it is connected to the brake system.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Re: Flushing Brake system, any special tricks/tips/procedure? (ROCKnRLR)

Quote, originally posted by ROCKnRLR »
OK, you know more than the bentley and VW tech....There is a bleeder valve and it is connected to the brake system.

My bad, you are right. Haven't had to work on my car's brakes or clutch. Never seen a system like this, learn something new every day.

·
Registered
33,981 Posts

No prob. I couldnt flsuh my slave cylinder. The valve is stuck and I am afraid of breaking something!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts